Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yep, another "What is this?!!?" post...

Posted by VedaBeeps 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 18:53

*Waving*

I've been reading here for a long time but it's my first post on this board. Thank you to everyone that posts here, the info is so helpful and the pepper love is infectious... and what encouraged me to venture into super hots. So, this was supposed to my first ghost pepper and it doesn't appear to be. My normally reliable local nursery was a bit of a let down this year, I ended up with several mis-marked plants (and one 6 pack of eggplants that has 3 different varieties!)

Of course I'm happy with whatever it is... but what is it?!!?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yep, another "What is this?!!?" post...

Not entirely sure what it is, but I am certain that it's not a ghost (bhut jolokia). The pods have a "Scotch bonnet" shape but I don't think they are Scotch bonnets. Kinda bumpy, too.

Have you tasted one? Did you live to tell the tale?

A shot of the whole plant would help too.

Dennis

o

Pumpkin Habanero?

o

We haven't tasted them yet, not quite ripe. I will take a pic of the whole plant tomorrow- the camera was beeping low battery at me while trying to take this one. Thanks for your help.

o

Not ghosts but still impressive. You need to get in a seed swap next year and move forward. Still a nice pepper and I would not loose any sleep over it. It just amazes me why a commercial business cant get there genetics together. I could go on this forum and get all the seeds I needed to give people what they want just for the asking,yet they pay good money for seed just to to make a buck disappointing customers mouths down the line.I dont get it

o

Yep. Not a Ghost, but still looks like a superhot. My guess is one of the 7Pot/Scorpion varieties. Just a guess though.

Kevin

o

I managed to get back out there with the camera before dinner. :) Priorities, y'know.....

From the side:

o

And the top:

o

I'm looking forward to seed swapping pepperdave! I have 42 pepper plants this year and am building more beds.

Kevin, I'm just north of you a bit in Riverside.

Here's a better closeup, you can't tell in this pic but the plant is loaded:

o

Yup, looks like a superhot. 7 pot would also be my guess.

Stoney

o

I'm thinking scorpion, good and healthy looking though.
Looks hot eat one and tell us about it.
Randal

o

Almost looks like a Moruga to me.

Tim

o

What kind of a container is it in?

Sorry for changing the topic.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:45

o

Now that I see that second pod pic I'm with Tim.

Moruga Scorpion.

Stoney

o

Vedabeeps: Howdy "somewhat" neighbor! ;) Yep. Almost directly North since I'm in East County San Diego. Riverside has much the same climate as I. Great pepper growing conditions. Seems like we're all leaning towards one of the Caribbean superhots as opposed to the Asian ones like Bhut/Naga. My guess would still be wicked hot.

Looks like a washer tumbler, Ronny. Nice, aerated container vedabeeps.

Kevin

o

Kevin.. that would make sense now that you mentioned it. Thanks

o

To me they look like some kind of erotic peppers . hehe
Not quite like peter though. May be the opposite sex.
Just kidding. What do I know about superhots.

o

I would say they're certainly a Scorpion of some type....
They're a bit long to be Moruga Blend.

Josh

o

Ronny, Kevin is right, it's a washer tumbler. It's not great looking but it has great drainage and peppers really seem to like it. It was also all I had available when this plant came home with me as a 4" starter. The planting mix level has dropped, though- not sure it if I should top it off or wait until the plant is finished producing for the season and then shimmy it out of the container, add more and put the plant back. It seems to be happy right now so I won't be doing anything to disturb it at this time other than the occasional little shovel full of broken down bokashi compost, it appears to like it.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, looks like I have some weekend reading to do looking them all up!

o

Washer tumbler what a great container. Ill bet that thing even air prunes the roots. Might have to get one myself for next year, Im always looking to improve things and I think you really stumbled on something there. Ill bet that blows away pots as far as root growth goes.
Thanks for posting it
Pepper Dave

o

HOT! And then it got hotter!

They ripened to a beautifull even glossy red so I picked a few this morning and i served them, sliced into thin slivers, with the spring rolls I made for dinner tonight. A little fruity and lotsa heat. It's going to be fun to get to know these peppers better. :)

o

I would keep some of those seeds to plant later on.You have something cool looking there.

o

I'm 110% positive that is the moruga scorpion. I'm growing them myself and it's identical in every way. Don't go biting into that unless you are a chili head. You would be in a world of hurt.

o

The 100+ degree days have really put ripening into full gear. :) I should have almost this many more ready to pick by the end of the week.

o

• Posted by TNKS none (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 19:30

No doubt they are Scorpions
I wouldnt sweat the seed harvest on an unknown strain,keep a few for giggles but search out legit proven strains to move forward with
These supers are an addictive hobby,waste no time with walk on's
Sign the heavy hitters up first round and build to the uncontrollable levels from there LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here