Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

The first of my superhots....

And it looks to be a cross.
The seed was collected from a Yellow Bhut, but these upright pods ain't right...so I assume that the Black Pearl or the Thai cross-pollinated, with the Thai being the more likely. This was the first seed to germinate and the plant remains the largest, which I'll now attribute to hybrid vigor. The good news...it's setting lots of pods.

Pic was taken on July 10th:

Josh

Comments (35)

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Very nice.

I hope it turns out to be a high quality pepper. Just imagine how funky some of the other F1 seeds would have turned out.

Hoping you keep us posted with this one.

- Steve

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Hi Josh, great update and good progress with plant growth. I agree looks to be a Thai X Yellow Bhut. Bhuts have good flavor and so do Thai. Though I have not had yellow Bhut so not sure on the flavor. Keep us posted you may have a good thing going especially if the flavor is good.

Mark

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Nice Josh! yeah... that would be awesome if it was as productive as a Thai and the pod shape, size, and heat was that of a bhut.

Kevin

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, guys! Steve, I'll certainly keep you all updated on the progress.
    Mark, the Yellow Bhut is not as hot as the Red, probably averaging 400,000 - 600,000 Scoville. But the flavor of a Yellow Bhut is quite superior, in my opinion...more berry-like, citrusy, perhaps even a lingering grapefruit aftertaste. Perfect for a hot pineapple-lemon jam. Kevin, I just hope it isn't as seedy as a Thai!!!

Josh

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Geez Josh. If your going to keep describing the yellow bhut in that manner, you're going to have to expect people will be asking for seeds. :) I'm interested in how you achieved this cross. Is this from saved seed off last years op plants? I'll be watching this thread as well. I can't wait to see how this plant turns out. It looks like your plants are catching up fast. The little bit of that plant we can see looks beautiful. Keep us posted. Good Luck!

Tim

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Tim!
    Yessir, my plants have caught up pretty quickly now. Compared to last year, I'm about three weeks ahead of schedule as far as pods starting to set. I saved this seed from my Yellow Bhut plant...completely accidental on my part. I don't particularly care for crosses. But at least I did two Yellow and two Red Bhuts this year...so hopefully I'll get some true Bhuts out of the four.

Josh

Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of this particular plant.

• romy6
    10 years ago

Thai Bhut. Boottie. I like the looks and sound of that. Really cool looking pod J amn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

BHUT = = BE HOT HOT..hehe
    how Hut(HOT) do you want them ? How hot are they on scoville scale, or compared to habaneros ?

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

use it to make hot sauce that will thai people's bhut in a knot.

and there's my pun for the day. thank you very much ladies and gentlemen, I'm here all week.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well done, well done pun! ;-)
    Thanks ya'll...there's about 15 of them pods set so far.

Josh

• Calcat36
    10 years ago

Aji Limon grows, and looks, very much like that pod, although some of mine have decided to face the ground! I believe it is because they are abnormally large/heavy.

Keep us posted please. I'd like to see what comes of it!

Original Author
    10 years ago

A couple more shots...

Original Author
    10 years ago

Excited to see some color, soon I hope :-)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Nice! Lots of pod setting, looking forward to your update on heat and flavor. I wonder will it keep the yellow or go red?

Mark

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Mark...!
    I think it'll go red, but you never know!

Josh

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

if these end up tasting good, I wanna know about it. I've got thai and bhuts in my back yard. if it's a worthwhile cross I'll try to pull it off for next year's crop, they look interesting.

I mean, if I can get the prolific production of a thai, with heat near that of a bhut, that would be an awesome plant to grow.

...or you could just send me some seeds...

Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm a bit leery of sending out crossed, unstable seeds...but we'll see how these do.

Check these pods out, though. In 2011, a Red Bhut Jolokia pollinated a Chocolate Habanero mother in my garden. In 2012, I discovered that my Choc Hab seeds were crossed. One of my friends, however, wanted to grow the seeds that resulted. And here are the results - the Bhut is dominating the phenotype.

Choc Hab X Red Bhut Jolokia:

Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's what will hopefully be the first of my true Yellow Bhut Jolokia...about three pods have set so far.

Original Author
    10 years ago

And the first Red Bhut Jolokia...

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Josh even those Choc Hab X Red Bhut Jolokias look good. If i followed your story correctly, your friend grew out some F2's, and the pics are his results. Mixed looking but i imagine a few seasons down the road that some of them would stabilize to something excellent.

Still curious to see how the yellow Bhut x Thai work out. I also wonder what the better F2, F3's would end up like :)

Steve

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, Steve, that's correct!
    Only my friend is a 'she' ;-) and she's doing great! Last year, my F1 pods were very distinct - some looked like smooth Bhuts, others looked like long bumpy Nagas/Habs. But in these F2 pods, the traits are more integrated. I can see why folks take the time to hybridize plants, I'm just not sure I have the space to do so.

Josh

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, here's another cross...at least I think it to be....

Supposed to be Datil, but they don't look like the Datil did last year!

Original Author
    10 years ago

....more pods...

Original Author
    10 years ago

...and more pods. You tell me. Is this within the expected variation for Datil pods?

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I still want the seeds from the bhut z thai cross. I tried to do a thai x brain cross, and it didn't take.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Nice, looking good and getting closer to the best time of the year, harvesting. How is the Manzano doing?

Mark

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

I have 2 Ghosts crossed with black pearl .The peppers you have look nothing like them.I will get pictures next time I get out there.Where I got my seed black pearls were the only other thing planted and I got 2 out of 150. I have not tried them yet but they look like ANCHOS the plants are 5ft tall and dont seem to have a very good production rate.Time will tell I just hope they are hot as hell.

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

I have 2 Ghosts crossed with black pearl .The peppers you have look nothing like them.I will get pictures next time I get out there.Where I got my seed black pearls were the only other thing planted and I got 2 out of 150. I have not tried them yet but they look like ANCHOS the plants are 5ft tall and dont seem to have a very good production rate.Time will tell I just hope they are hot as hell.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Howdy, Dave.
    I don't have any Bhut crossed with Black Pearls...so I wouldn't expect yours to look like mine. I only mentioned the Black Pearl because of its upright pods...but I don't actually consider that the source of the cross. The Thai chiles were much closer in proximity....and quite gregarious in spreading their pollen.

Judo, I'll keep you in mind once the Hybrid ripens.

Mark, I'm glad you asked :-) The Manzano is half-turned at this point...about 3 - 5 days out. Here she is, as of yesterday evening:

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Great update looking good! The Manzano looks tasty. Is that another pod behind the one ripening? That's one plant that I will have add to my 2014 grow list which is filling up fast.

Mark

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yessir, that's another pod that has just begun to color.
    Really excited to finally try this one...after two seasons with the plant.

Josh

Original Author
    10 years ago

And so, about a month and a half after the pod set, it finally ripened. I harvested the second pod this morning, and I see a third just beginning to show color. The aroma and the initial flavor is very much like a Bhut Jolokia, but milder. The heat is hotter than any Thai chile, but like a Thai it really stings the tongue. Had a slow build that burned for about 7 minutes, peaked, and then backed off over the next 20 minutes. Overall, not very flavorful. Might make a great powder for a hot curry, though.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I still want it. a month and a half to ripen, so about half way between a ghost and a thai. what about seed content? is it as seedy as a thai?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, great question! Forgot to mention that.
    There were very few seeds in the pod, and the skin and meat was tender like a Bhut...

Josh

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living