Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
habjolokia

Best ivory/white pepper?

habjolokia z 6b/7
11 years ago

Any ideas on the best flavor, most vibrant ivory/white pepper out there.?Looking for seed for the 2013 season that I will use to cross. Next season I am very limited in that I can only grow 3 to 4 plants because I can't imaging moving more than that with all the household items.

So far plan on starting;

galapogoense (Thanks Danny)

Chili Tepin

(Ivory/white pepper) ?

Not sure yet have some in mind to cross

Comments (28)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Edymnion thanks for the link, those are nice looking. Have you grown them? It's a possible candidate for the cross.

Mark

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

I have not, but that video is of the HippySeedCompany guy, so if he is selling them you can be sure they're good and stable. From what I've read they taste just like normal habs, tend to grow smaller pods, and can be anywhere from snow white to more of a slightly butter colored cream.

I've been looking for good white peppers myself and thats really the only one I've found so far, so I'm keeping my eye on this one as well.

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

I have read that the Yucatan white hab is much better tasting than it's cousin the Peruvian. That's why I'm growing them this year, but no fruit yet. Seeds are harder to find, but Jim Duffy (Refining Fire Chiles) carries them, also plants, I got my plant from him, nice healthy plant... just wish it'd hurry up and fruit!
    Pam

• romy6
    11 years ago

White 7 pod ?
    Not sure how stable they are but I have seen a lot of people growing them. Some likes some dislikes.

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

I read about those on a site about plant genetics, I didn't think they were stable, but, even so, do you know where someone could get some seeds? I'd love to try growing them.
    Pam

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

If there are doubts on stability, try seeing if you can hook up with someone growing a proven plant and get cuttings from them. Stability doesn't matter when you can clone it.

• User
    11 years ago

Pam,

pepperlover.com has them listed but they are presently sold out. If you really want to try it check the site later in the season. They're probably waiting for new crops to ripen to re-stock.

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

Cool! Thanks for the link Bill!

Concerning stability, I actually have no idea, I just read it somewhere that it wasn't stable. Me, I don't care, I'm adventurous. And honestly, I've given up on pepper cuttings. ;-)

• User
    11 years ago

LOL

If you want, when you order I'll split it with you. I can always find an extra pot to take a chance on a pepper I haven't tried yet.

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

haha, sure Bill, I'll split, I'll keep watching them to put them up, I'm really excited. AND I'm still going to be sending you the seeds for your friend. I've got fruit, just waiting for it to ripen. The plant was bagged so the seeds should be true.

Here's the link that was given to me concerning developing your own cross where he discusses the white 7 Pod (very interesting, but sometimes you have to overlook his language, it can get a bit coarse.)
    http://www.tonyslug.com/pepper/crossing.php

I'm not sure if it's the same as Edymnion brought up or not.

Near the bottom of the page is:
    Tip to the hat to Junglerain (the creator of the white 7-pod pictured far left) for sending some seeds my way. Thanks Grant! These fantastic white chillies are the result of crossing 7-pod and white habanero strains for 4 generations in the exact same way as described earlier : The small percentage of white fruits that started appearing in the F2 was selected for further crossing. With each subsequent generation there will be less chance of the chillies being anything but pure white.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Has anyone ever purchased from Jungle Rain? They list the white 7pot for sale. Seems they are crossing/Hybred experts or at lest they enjoy crossing for sure.

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: Jungle Rain

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

I haven't, but the link to the genetic site which mentioned Jungle Rain came from Wayland Chiles, I trust them, I wouldn't have a problem with purchasing from Jungle Rain... in fact, I'm seriously thinking about it (although their prices seem a bit high).

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah agree prices are a bit steep. I will prob go with one of the white Habs and cross with something, hope to get a fairly stable cross over the next 5 years of re-growing if I have success next two seasons.

If anything it will be a fun project and learning experience.

Mark

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Make us a white bhut. =)

• romy6
    11 years ago

I have a white 7 pod growing so if I can get some pods I will gladly share with you guys. I can grow all year round so hopefully by the end of the year I will get some poddage.

Grant (junglerain) is an amazing grower but he lives in Australia. That is why it is so exspensive.

There are a lot of growers with 7 pod white's so like Bill said by the end of the year they should be available .

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Edymnion, I like the idea, white Bhut I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

Jamie thanks for the seeds, I did manage to get a Brain to grow, late start, I just hope I have time for pods to set. Also thanks for the additional info on Jungel Rain makes me feel better about them since you know who they are.

Mark

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

Geez Jamie.....how is it possible that you have everything?! I swear I'm going to have to stop reading so much. It seems every time I come here you guys are talking about something else I think I need. This is my first year growing super hots, and I already can't use my back deck. I fear if I continue, my wife is going to leave me. :) She already says it's too much and I just got started.

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

PN, use this on her:
    http://www.fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=95&Itemid=105

Tell her you are growing cute little bonsai trees for her.

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

Wow! How old does a chili plant have to be to have a stalk that looks like a tree trunk? Those look amazing. I imagine she would love to have a few of those. I've heard of this practice, but this is the first time I've seen anything that impressive.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry Jamie should have used romy6 instead, for those that may not know you and assume lol will leave you to comment if you want. They owe you a Bonchi lol

My Brain is close to a foot tall and I was shocked to see flower buds so I am hopeful for at least a few pods even if it's one I will be happy.

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

Put me down for a couple of seeds romy6! :-)

• peppermeister1
    11 years ago

I'm growing a "Habanero White Chile" from Cross Country Nurseries. It's supposed to be a late season plant but it's one of the only plants I have that has barely begun to flower and it went in a nice 5 gallon container like the majority of my plants in mid May. The other slow poke is Aji Limon which is supposed to be a pretty early season plant but is just barely starting to fruit now. (Even my chiltepin is fruiting). All other plants are doing very well, guess I'll be racing the frost to munch on these slow white habs.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I got a left over can of Artificial Snow Spray from Christmas last year. I am gonna go out and spray my Scorpion Butch T pods. Then when they are ripe, I will share the seeds with all you guys.

Bruce

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

Hey Mark, something I forgot, I have had people rave to me about White Bullet habs... I've never grown them.

Bruce..... you're just weird. ;-)

Pam

• rdback
    11 years ago

Habjolokia said:

"Any ideas on the best flavor, most vibrant ivory/white pepper out there.?Looking for seed for the 2013 season that I will use to cross. Next season I am very limited in that I can only grow 3 to 4 plants because I can't imaging moving more than that with all the household items."

Hi Mark.

I grew both the White Bullet and the (Peruvian) White Habanero last year. Much preferred the White Hab over the White Bullet. Larger pod, better taste, more heat, whiter color, more prolific.

I think I've got some No-I seeds, if you're interested.

Rick

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Pam for the update on another variety of a white pepper.

Rick thanks! You got mail

Mark

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

Figure I'd pass along a little bit of info. I ordered some 7 pod white seeds from Junglerain yesterday afternoon. A few hours later I received an email from Grant saying he sold his last batch about 3 hrs earlier and he doesn't expect to have anymore seeds until Jan/Feb. I then emailed pepperlover and they said they should have seeds available in about 2 wks. I'm not about to miss out a 2nd time!

Pam

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting