Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
habjolokia

Question on identification pepper pod

habjolokia z 6b/7
11 years ago

Earlier in the season a few of my seedlings got damping off fungus. Threw cinnamon on them and only 4 seemed to recover very well so I placed them in the back away from all the rest of my other peppers that are in the front of the house.

Two were Bhut and the other two were 7Pod Jonah. I remember placing them 7Pod, Bhut, 7Pod, Bhut planted in the ground in that order and one of each of those survived.

Now that one of the surviving two has a pod on it,it look to be neither Bhut or 7pod Jonah and does not look to be any of the seed varieties I have in my collection.

Any ideas on what it may be?

Comments (22)

• User
    11 years ago

The pictured pod is a 7 "pot" Jonah.

Got one putting out pods now.

Bill

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Bill,

I thought the Jonah was more round then oblong?

Mark

• User
    11 years ago

Further to my previous note, I've read that the deviation of the name pot to pod for this species of Trinidadian peppers came about because early growers in the US were worried about the DEA raiding them for discussing 7 "pot" plants in forums. Crazy yes but to me, crazy enough to be true ;-)

Besides, they only put out two pods per node - not seven. Friends I've made from Trinidad assure me the proper name is 7 Pot ...

FYI

• User
    11 years ago

You'll notice pods putting out a rounded bulge but every one I've grown has been more oblong. I'll see if I can find a picture from my previous grows.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah people looked at me funny when I said 7pot so I too just took the name 7pod especially at work ;-) lol

Everywhere I look or read about Jonah and see pod shape compairson they are more round, one good source is the Hippy seed co

Do you think this may be a cross? Jonah X mystery pepper?

Mark

• User
    11 years ago

Not sure.

I can't find a shot of a Jonah I've grown but you Bhuts should look something like this...

• User
    11 years ago

Mark, my sincere apologies. I'll blame my advanced age for the mental fart I just had. You are indeed right sir, the Jonah's are a rounder squat pod. I just found a shot of what I was thinking was a Jonah but turns out it was a Nagabon.

Your picture could very well be a "stunted" Bhut. It happens.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, grew Bhuts for the past three years first two just Bhuts, third season Bhuts and 3 Kung Pao plants. This season is the first I have had more than two varieties. I dont think it's a cross from last season because a Bhut X Kung Pao don't think it would turn out this way since Kung Pao are not lobed. Also skin is smooth and not pimpley/bumpy like the Bhut errrr..... but Kung Pao has smooth skin. Uhhh I hope not.

Guess I will let it get further along and as it matures post an update.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If it is, I am to blame.

Picture tells the story

Bhut in pot, circled in red Kung Pao ummm too close higher risk of cross eh?

• User
    11 years ago

Mark, don't knock yourself out. One non-standard pod doesn't a cross make.

Just like human parents, once in a while you get a rogue child. If it's true most pods will inherit and exhibit the standard traits.

Last year after sampling a Morouga pod I said it had the heat of a Hab. Da, the next pod I tried slayed me. The rest were just as hot.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Bill for getting my mind in gear to figure out what this may be. Nagabon is not a seed in my collection. Have you grown the Nagabon?

Thanks,
    Mark

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ahhh ok will keep an eye out for the other pods to form to see if its just a rogue one.

Thanks for your help Bill

Mark

• homefry319
    11 years ago

The first photo the pepper looks pretty small, my bhut that I over wintered has pepper that are like that but there not much longer then say a quarter, the bigger peppers on the plant are def bhuts

• homefry319
    11 years ago

Snap some pics for you it's s little more elongated, but I saw a shorter one the other day

• User
    11 years ago

Nice shots homefry319. Definitely growing Bhuts.

Mark, I grew the Nagabon last year. Seed was from the Hippy Seed Company. Neil lists it as cross between a Bih Jolokia for Heat & The Scotch Bonnet for size and flavour. To be honest after eating numerous pods off of two plants, it looks like a bulged Bih with a Scotch Bonnet heat.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice flavour. Just not a larger crazy hot. I'm growing one again this year.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One of the reasons I did not think it was a Bhut. Notice the young Bhut pod not lobed in your pic .vs my young pod pic is lobed. Your pics are true Bhuts and what mine from previous seasons looked like.

Rouge or cross time will tell.

Thanks for those pics

• homefry319
    11 years ago

I've seen a few lobes on some of them, but couldn't fine any with the lobes, I've never grown the Jonah but a quick search it seems they do have the lobes

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They have lobes the Jonah but they are more round than oblong and not as defined. Mine sort of lobed like a Habanero would be but length more like a Bhut.

Bill, if your young Nagabon looked like my photo above then it may just be that. Do you have any pics of the plant and pods on the plant about the same age as the pod above?

Thanks,

Mark

• User
    11 years ago

HA! OK, I'm not loosing my mind/memory.

Mark, I retract my earlier retraction (apology) ;-)) I'm now 99% sure your pod is a Jonah (at least a Jonah grown from THSC).

I was positive I got a shot of my Jonahs last year. After checking out this years Jonah this AM to take a couple of shot for you I remembered what photo had Jonahs in it from last year.

This years Jonah pods:

ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ

Here's a couple of shots of plates of peppers I took last year. I circled some of the different varieties shown.

Not circled = 7 Pot Douglah
    Blue = 7 Pot
    Yellow = 7 Pot Jonah
    Green = TS Morouga
    Purple = Trinidad Scorpion
    Black = Bih Jolokia (and one Dorset Naga)

Light Blue = Nagabon

I grew the 7 Pot Douglah; 7 Pot; 7 Pot Jonah; TS Morouga and Trinidad Scorpion using fresh seed purchased from THSC.

I remember a post last year regarding the TS Morouga where Smokemaster commented that he's seen a lot of pod variations out there. I commented that I'd be hard pressed to distinguish between the 7 Pots and Scorpions I grew if they were laid out in front of me.

Note the similarities between the 7 Pots and even a couple of the Scorpion pods (the four Scorpions came off the same plant but only two have the classic tail and the other two look similar to the 7 Pots). To be honest, I noticed that only the TS Morouga and 7 Pot Douglah grew consistent pods.

So if you sourced your Jonah seed from THSC, like me, your Jonah pod won't look like the one on their website. I've already started thinking about what I want to grow next year and have decided to pick up some fresh seed from a different source to check out differences if any.

I trust I have totally confused you now, job done ;-0
    Now back to my other job.

Bill

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Bill you actually cleared it up for me.

Check your email

Mark

• User
    11 years ago

No email yet Mark.

Where did you send it?

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sent using iPhone using GW email link on your profile. Ah well I sent another from home PC. Should be there now, I hope.