Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coachthomas_gw

Jalapenos - making them nacho style

coachthomas
17 years ago

I am brand new to this forum and new to growing hot peppers. I have some nice looking Jalapenos and I was looking for how you cook/pickle Jalapenos to create the type of Jalapenos that you would commonly get on Nachos or pizza.

If this is the wrong forum I apologize in advance.

Comments (9)

• sndk
    17 years ago

i copied this recipe from someone else in this forum, sorry it didnt grab the credits. it just looked really tasty.

Using fresh TAM Mild Jalapeno peppers, blanch peppers for 3 minutes in boiling water. To prevent collapsing, puncture each pepper. Add the following ingredients to a pint jar packed with the blanched peppers before cooling occurs.

1/4 medium-sized garlic clove
    1/4 teaspoon of onion flakes
    1 small or medium bay leaf
    1/8 teaspoon of ground oregano
    1/8 teaspoon of thyme leaf (not seed)
    1/8 teaspoon of marjoram
    1 tablespoon of vegetable oil (olive, refined sesame, corn)

Cover with boiling brine solution prepared as follows:
    Mix together:

3 tablespoons sugar
    9 tablespoons salt
    2 pints water
    2 pints vinegar (5 percent)

Close the containers and process 10 minutes in boiling water, then cool.

Note: Jalapenos must be hot when brine solution is added. The addition of carrot slices adds color to the product.

• sndk
    17 years ago

i should add, if you make it with "fresh TAM jalapenos" you should be smacked upside the head.

• shelbyguy
    17 years ago

on one hand texas a&m should get some credit for making the humble jalapeno a commerical success in america. tam mild farms well and has consistent heat levels.

on the other hand, varieties like tam mild are why i grow my own much tastier, hotter jalapenos. im fond of biker billy hybrid.

• jimcanada
    17 years ago

This brine is really nice for pickling jalapeno peppers.
    3 cups water
    1 cup white vinigar
    1/4 cup pickling salt
    some pickling spices, garlic, etc. or whatever spices you like, or none at all.
    Slice the peppers and place in sealer. Boil the other ingredients together and pour over peppers. Seal. You can process the jars in boiling water if you like to make sure they are sealed.

• coachthomas
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK. I have NO idea what I am doing here. What is a sealer? IS that a canning jar?

• vera_eastern_wa
    17 years ago

Everywhere I've ever had nachos/pizza (out or home) the jalapenos are sliced fresh and garnished on top of everything before serving.

Vera

• jjmac
    17 years ago

The recipe you are using is from the web site www.plantanswers.tamu.edu/vegetables/pepper.html question 14#. It's a Texas A&M site. I have not tryed the recipe,but the person who wrote it sounds like he Knows his business.

• michaelnohio
    17 years ago

I use old miracle whip jars which I wash and dry very well. I put 1 cup sugar and 1 cup vinegar in a sauce pan heat till sugar dissolves add to jar. I slice up my jalapenos and add to jar. I keep these peppers and also habaneros and hot bannana peppers in the icebox and use for sandwiches and nachos.I keep replenishing peppers as I use them up. The peppers will take on a sweet and sour flavor from the mix. The peppers must be kept in refridgerator because they are not processed just pickled in vinegar sugar!!!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz