Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cookin' in the sauce lab today!

Posted by jutsFL 9b (Orlando) (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 19:29

I set up shop outside today and cooked down two large batches of my 'taco sauce.'

First batch was mostly Fresno peppers, with HHWax, red savina, and just a few Naga and Reapers. Added one yellow onion, 5 tbs minced garlic, 1 bunch of cilantro, 5 tbs salt, and covered with vinegar. About 175 peppers total in the sauce. It filled 12 mason jars and was canned. Heat at about 7 of 10 (for the average person), more like 4 of 10 for most of us. I named it Taco Sauce #7.

Second batch was the same 'taco sauce' recipe - but the only peppers in it were Reapers and Naga, still to the tune of about 175! This one is off the charts in heat!! I tried a small bit before canning it and ended up sweating perfusely and had the worst stomach cramps ever for about 30 minutes. I named this one Taco Sauce #666. Still made a full batch of 12 mason jars with this one as well.

...the pics,
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Canning the last few stragglers:

Finished product:

Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cookin' in the sauce lab today!

Wow! Did you cook it down? Blend it? The texture looks quite smooth. Any salt or other spices added?

I'm sure you could use that hell batch of sauce to add to other salsas and sauces, stir-fry, and soup.

Josh

o

• Posted by jutsFL 9b (Orlando) (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 20:55

Josh, I boiled it all for 15 min. Then blended it al down nice and smooth. Then added to the sanitized jars, and hot water canned for 15 minuets.

Jay

o

I've never really understood the whole "cook first, then blend" thing...

I always blend first, then cook.

o

Looks HOT!
But good.
Randal

o

Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 0:12

Judo: I never really thought of doing it the other way around. I cook first so that when I blend it's nice and smooth. I suppose if you blended first it'd be a bit chunkier - but I'm not really sure, as I've never tried?

Jay

o

If blended first, I imagine that it would cook down faster, and could then be blended again for the smooth puree.

Josh

o

Nice job Jay!

Kevin

o

So tell us about the lab. It looks like you're indoors, but since that's a gas grill I'm guessing a covered breezeway? Do you wear gloves, a mask, goggles? The wife and kids out of town? :)

This post was edited by mecdave on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 6:20

o

Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 8:54

Mecdave, it's all on my back patio area. Gloves are a must when I was prepping everything indeed!

...and yes, I have to do it all when the better half isn't around :D

Jay

o

"Canning the last few stragglers" eh? So that explains the dead squirrel in the last pot...

o

Some production, Jay. The color s very nice too.

About what came first, cooking or blending: I do cook first. B,C, when it is cooked the stuff is almost fallen apart. I just use my stick blender and do it right in the pot. Then I strain and get the pulpy stuff, seeds (if any) out, then procede with canning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here