Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some greenhouse peppers have no flowers!

Posted by Carl27 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 19:29

Hi, I have a greenhouse where I grow a number of different kinds of hot peppers: Thai, Cayenne, Black Mayan, Bhut Jolokia, Moruga Scorpion, Fish, Tepin, and many more. I started these early knowing they take a long time to mature.

Right now all the plants are large to huge (some are over 3 feet tall). Most of the varieties with flat leaves (Thai, Cayenne, and some sweet peppers) have lots of flowers and fruits. But none of the wrinkled leaves plants have any flowers (BJ, Moruga, Carolina Reaper, etc). Same with the Fish pepper and one of two Tepins.

Should I do something before they start growing through the greenhouse window?!

Thanks
Carl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some greenhouse peppers have no flowers!

It could be temps getting to high. I had to take panels out of my greenhouse to get the temperatures to lower so the blossoms would stop dropping.

o

The "wrinkled leaf" plants you identify are C.chinense. The others are mostly C.annuum. (Not sure about Fish.) Chinense have larger, more sculpted leaves that are not wrinkly by nature, but they are more susceptible to Ca or Mg nutrient deficiency, producing wrinkled and in some cases stunted leaves. What is your fertilizer regimen?

Peppers that grow in windless conditions seem to produce less fruit, which implies fewer flowers. [logic?] Do you have a fan on them?

Dennis

o

Hmm no I don't have a fan in there...Maybe something for next year.

I used vegetable 15-15-30 fertilizer every 2 weeks for the first 2 months, and then I stopped because most of the plants got huge... like 5 feet tall.

Still no flowers on most of the superhots (but some others are going crazy). i moved one outside the GH to see what happens, but with the weather around here, I dont think this baby is going to like the nights in a month or two... We're in eastern Canada..

o

Are you getting tons of blossom drop or no flowers whatsoever? I'm leaning towards chuck's prognosis though I agree with Dennis and lack of wind. Even in a windless environment, you should be getting "some" sort of pod set, though.

Kevin

o

No blossoms at all that I cansee, just stems and huge leaves. Attaching a photo showing one of the plants...
Thanks

o

Check every node for ANY buds at all. If you don't see a single bud(on the plant, or in the soil (from abortion)), I'm no botanist, but I'd say you have a sterile plant --- the fact that you say it's on multiple plants though leads me to believe that you're having massive bud drop.

What soil medium are you using and what type of fertilizers?

Copy and paste from willard3 ---

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

Kevin

o

Wait, isn't that a pod in the UR corner of the last pic?

o

Yes that is a pod, from a different plant. To restate the problem, some plants in the greenhouse have tons of flowers and peppers. So that probably rules out a number of possibilities above. Photo attached showing the whole situation, with annotations. Some varieties have no flowers, and I check them almost daily and never saw one flower, so I don't suspect this is a bud drop issue. But of course I could be wrong!! Thanks

o

Then I'd have to GUESS it's actual placement of those plants in the greenhouse. Still doesn't make sense though -- you should be getting buds in ANY circumstance... whether they abort or not is another story.

off topic, but I HAVE to ask... why(in zone 10) do you have peppers INSIDE a greenhouse in the middle of summer?

Kevin

o

Air circulation. I have had much better with fewer plants in my 6 x 8 and a fan running. Solar powered when the sun shines. Just my opinion.

o

@woohooman on your question on why I use a greenhouse. I didn't use to until last year when a rabbit (?) took out all my plants on one weekend in July... Bit every top off and left two inches stems for about 75 plants. After babying the seedling since March, that hurts. We're in the city so building an elaborate fence is not simple, so this seemed easier. Also protects from hail, which we do we get in bursts (and often when I'm at the cottage!!). And of course, our season here is relatively short, so I was able to start the plants outside earlier and get most fruits to mature before the nights get too cold. I use an automatic watering system because we leave for large parts of the summer, so the lack of natural rain is not an issue.

So it seems the likely culprit here is the lack of air circulation, which can affect some types more than others. I presume it's too late to address now that the plants are so large? Or could they start flowering this late?

o

Does your watering system also mist the plants? Super hots prefer a humid environment. My own plants weren't flowering in this hot dry climate until I started misting them early morning and late evening. They're loving it.

o

It's actually pretty humid up here. The sprinkling system does not mist the pants, but the walls of the greenhouse get all fogged up and wet most mornings from the wet soil as the sun heats up.

o

Ahh... yeah, that would suck.

Never too late to start flowering. Peppers are perennials. although, getting pod set and ripening is a whole different story on superhots this late.

Still not sure on even air circulation being the problem. I can see it being an issue with pollination, but you should have still gotten buds. I'm stumped.

Once again, what's the soil medium and fert regimen?

May I ask where you're located and how the weather has been the last couple months?

Kevin

o

Soil medium is garden soil, bought a number of years ago. Had a little compost added last fall.

I used vegetable 15-15-30 fertilizer every 2 weeks for the first 2 months, and then I stopped because most of the plants got huge... like 5 feet tall.

We're in Ottawa, Ontario, looks like we're zone 4b.

o

We're in the city so building an elaborate fence is not simple, so this seemed easier.

I have a suggestion, Hasenpfeffer! Why fence 'em out when you can trap 'em?

o

oh. OK. A greenhouse seems prudent then. You might want to change the zone in your profile.

You could've been over fertilizing. But not sure if that's the problem. I wouldn't use that stuff more than once or twice per season.

The reason I ask is Calcium plays a huge part in fruit set. Any bone meal or lime added? Have you had your soil tested?

Once again, I doubt this is the reason. But the only way to fix the present is by eliminating problems or issues that may affect the future.

I'm still stumped...sorry. Anybody else got any ideas?

Kevin

o

Fixed the zone, sorry I didn't notice that...

Yes, I forgot I put some bone meal before I transplanted the plants. Would that help or hurt?

The fertilizer said to use it every 2 weeks, see photo attached.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here