Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elbourne_gw

Ground Bhut Jolokia Pepper

Elbourne
10 years ago

I thought I would try to make ground pepper for the first time. I took a couple dozen or so of my Bhut Jolokia peppers and laid them out on a large cooking sheet. I left them in the oven at a very low temperature (about 110 F) for a couple of days. I then ground up the dried peppers in a coffee grinder. I wish I had a picture of the deviled eggs I garnished, but we ate them too fast.

Comments (14)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Sprinkle some of that on the wife's pizza tonight. She will love it.
    Bruce

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Now Bruce....didn't you JUST say that you did not approve of such Tom Foolery?!

Tim

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Geeez, and I didn't think anyone was listening.

Bruce

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Great use of the Bhuts, looks like you have enough powder to recreate the deviled egg dish take a pic, post and enjoy again.

Mark

• tony469
    10 years ago

Last time I ground pepper in a coffee grinder..I almost died..lol..if you have never ground hot peppers wear a mask ...but anyhow it's great in soup for the winter..

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Well done!
    I've used superhot powder (Bill's Grim Reaper powder) on deviled eggs...we call them Twice Deviled Eggs, and they are excellent.

Josh

• jifjifjif
    10 years ago

Very nice powder!

I have 15 Dorset Nagas hanging on thread to dry for almost 4 weeks now and not completely dry yet, but soon....
    Planning to powder them myself.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

was your house habitable while you did that in the oven? I've heard stories. I'm gonna have a lot of peppers soon, some of which I'd like to dry, and I don't have a dehydrator, and it's probably too humid where I live to do it the old fashioned way. I'm looking for new ideas.

• mbellot
    10 years ago

Buy a cheap dehydrator (Nesco sells some around $50) and put it in the garage.

I tried running the dehydrator in the basement once, almost got lynched by the wife and kids. I can't imagine doing it at higher temps in an oven.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I've done it in a toaster oven at low temps(125F or so) and it didn't bother me one bit. Then again, I saute some Jalapenos, and others in the household start gagging.

Kevin

• Elbourne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a commercial convection oven in my outdoor kitchen. I did not notice any ill effects. Its a big open screened in kitchen.

Now, when I made a huge pot of roasted Bhut Jolokia salsa inside, I did have to open all the windows. I should have done that outside too.

• Jeff_H
    10 years ago

Love that stuff. I try to keep it on hand at all times although I am out of it currently because the bhuts aren't ripe yet. The only ripe supers I have are Butch Ts. They make a substantially hotter powder.

Back to the Bhut powder, I find that 1/4 tsp in a large bowl of soup or stew is just about right to make you sweat and your mouth burn, but not enough to make you cry for milk while you eat it.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

"Back to the Bhut powder, I find that 1/4 tsp in a large bowl of soup or stew is just about right to make you sweat and your mouth burn, but not enough to make you cry for milk while you eat it. "

now I'm even more excited to try this.

• SeanFr
    10 years ago

After our seed harvest we dry out the "shells" (halved pods with most of the placenta intact) on a wire rack in one of our tunnels.

We separate out the super hots (Mixed) and only dry those, for own use. Our staff dries a portion of the others chilli's for themselves.

After a few weeks we take the dried shells and run them through a coffee grinder. The resulting powder is called "Suicide Powder" and goes down very well. We typically make about 500 gr for the year and bar the typical uses of chilli, it's our alternative to MSG in almost any meal..

The grinding process is done outside and upwind on a day with a good breeze to assist with fumes. The critical part is when you uncap the grinder, I generally uncap and walk away for a few seconds.

Other than the aerosolized capsaicin, the fine powder that is produced IS the main issue as it migrates everywhere.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County