Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flo9_gw

Sweets are... ghosts aren't

flo9
9 years ago

This is my first year growing sweet and ghost peppers. My sweet peepers already have fruit and many flowers are blooming and loads of buds. I have 4 types of ghost peppers and it is totally nadda. They are just growing leaves, but no buds yet. I gave a few away I still had in cups and he told me his plants are doing the same as mine.

Is this normal? Do they take longer than sweets?? The only other thing that hasn't flowered yet in my garden are my two white dragon eggplants. I think that is what they're called. Might be a late producer... first time growing these, but all plants are growing healthier and fuller.

I have a container garden on my patio and plants receive East sunrise to about 3 p.m. I started using tomato tone almost 2 months ago and have seen great improvement with all plants.

Soil I used was potting soil, cow poo compost, perlite and peats moss, some organic food fertilizer. Everything is thriving great and so far no bug problems. All heirloom and organic plants.

Zone 7a ... many sunny days, also rain, but sun gets in on rainy days usually... 90's during day... 60's at night. I started all of my plants in 1st week of Feb indoors.

Comments (6)

• scgreenthumb1987
    9 years ago

dont fret. super hots are always slow. ive been picking bell, banana, cayenne, jalapenos, serranos.....and many others for about 2 months.

just picked my first superhot today. naga morich

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Yup, superhots are late to the party.
    My Ghost, Moruga Scorpion, and Fatali all have flowers but no pods yet.
    You'll get em soon. Don't overwater and shield your pots on hot days to avoid bud drop.

Stoney

• flo9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How often should I water? I have been twice daily ( most days) since heat set in over 80. They're in containers... and shield at what temp? It's only been reaching low 90's tops lately.

Thanks for the comments. I assumed ghost may take longer just seeing what is going on around here.

• scgreenthumb1987
    9 years ago

My temps are hitting 100. It's 9pm and 82 right now. My garden plants I simply planted sunflowers on the west of my peppers to shade them from the evening sun and my container plants just stay close to the house. I water them when they tell me they need it. (They will wilt when overly dry) and I've got (literally) thousands of pods now. From bhut to reaper and everything in between.

• flo9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alright, maybe I'm over watering. I use about 2 gallons a day per plant broken into 2 watering's..1 gallon 6 am ish and 1 gallon 6ish pm. Each plant are in their own 7 gallon container. I read from several sources seed starters of peppers soil can not go dry.. should always be moist.. so I assumed the same with adult plants. I'll try droughting a little. I read the other day eggplants like to rough the soil without too much water so I haven't watered them as much.

Thanks for the tips.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Yeah, you very well could be over watering. Peppers have very little problem going dry. They wilt and look terrible, then pop right back when you supply the moisture. Since you have the luxury of checking them twice a day, let them go wilty and then water. How often you have to do that will let you set a rough schedule. Also, peppers prefer to be watered deeply rather than a little at a time. (Doing that also flushed any accumulation of salts in the container.)

Also be aware that with hot temps the plants will wilt not because they are dry but because of the heat. It's not always easy to tell the difference, so consider partial shade as you work out the watering rhythm.

Good luck,
    Dennis

This post was edited by DMForcier on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 22:40

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022