Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
An unsuspecting surprise

Posted by Rustacator 9B (rustacator@gmail.com) on
Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 20:03

4 months later I was gonna fix my seedling cage and here is what i found...

photo IMG_20130716_184159_zpsfb202464.jpg

Bottom left - Butch T

Top right - Brain Strain Y

Top left "left of brain strain" - White Hab

Now the question is how do I get the Butch T out of the self watering seedling tray? I know its rooted to the water pad but don't want to damage roots too much and i know it over watered and malnutrition... even tho it dont look like it . Some pics has a sun glare off leaves btw... here are some more pics of problem

photo IMG_20130716_193036_zps3fbac7da.jpg
 photo IMG_20130716_193105_zps30ca9bd8.jpg

any ideas?

other

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: An unsuspecting surprise

If you don't mind losing that cup, I'd cut the plastic and pull it out. That way you can get a better idea of what you're dealing with. It's obvious that it wants to live. I think as long as you're gentle with it you'll be okay. Good Luck!

Tim

o
RE: An unsuspecting surprise

I'd guess it has all kinds of roots through the drain hole.
Most times they are small enough you can VERY carefully feed them through the drain hole.
I just loosen the main plug and with a gentle pull feed the roots through the drain as i pull the plant out of the cell.

A plant that got that big with no attention is not going to be slowed down by a little root damage.
The smaller plant looks easy to just treated as usual.
Loosen the cell and pull it up.

I use 9 cell incerts for my 72 cell trays.
I like them a lot.
I just have to mess with a 9 cell tray instead of a 72 cell one that is full of sprouts...

Inserts for bigger trays are a pain.
A couple of 9 celled ones in the same container is WAY easier.
I get my smaller celled stuff at the $.99 cent store-pack of 5 (i think) for a buck + tax.
Much easier to deal with.
They fill a 54 or 72 cell tray(any combination of 9 cells).Then there is always cutting them up,if need be.

http://s403.photobucket.com/user/smoemaster_2007/media/2011 pics/PICT2035.jpg.html?sort=2&o=164

The link is to small starter trays that take the same room as a big tray but I only have to deal with smaller trays when Annuums or whatyever seed grows faster than the rest.

Here is a link that might be useful: I use these too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here