Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chocolate Habanero

Posted by densiemill (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 20:08

My first time growing the chocolate hab...what should I expect? I always grow the red scotch bonnet and the yellow hab but just decided to try something new...is taste similar?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chocolate Habanero

Beautiful pepper! I can't tell you about the taste. I tried to grow Chocolate Habs for the first time this year. I now have red peppers........oh well. Let us know how you like the taste when you try it.

Tim

o

Very nice pod!
I thought I was growing a chocolate habanero but when they started to turn orange, I knew I got screwed with those ebay seeds. I will never buy any seeds ever from ebay again.
I have a trusted source now.

Stoney

o

Nice pod. I am growing RED and ORANGE. The next year I will try the choc.
Yeah, tell us please hot it taste .

o

Very nice pepper! I have two pods that turned today. This is my first year growing them as well but I would like to hear your review on them.

Tim- I would be willing to send you seeds just send me a PM. That is such a bummer.

o

I have two chocolate hab plants going right now myself- they have a pleasant smokey flavor, and heatheatheat

stoneys_fatali, i thought I had three plants going, actually, but one had bumpy pods with scorpion tails, and they're ripening red

I have no idea what I have, but they look dangerous

o

I have several plants and picked 15 pods yesterday and brought them to our, "hot pepper night" we have every Monday night, at a local establishment. They do have a smoky taste, and they are hot, but very mellow compared to Douglahs, which are intensely hot. I don't like habs in general as fresh pods, and these are about the same for me, but when these are fried, it's a whole different situation. These pods were sliced and then fried with slices of onions and everything caramelized together and the peppers are sweet with a bit of a bite. I know a few people who grow lots of different types of peppers and think this is one of their favorites for using in cooking. That is why I started them up and I am glad I did. Most of the peppers I grow are much hotter, but sometimes a more mellow heat is preferred.

o

Nice looking pod... Is your mouth watering yet? I tried my first chocolate habs this year... The taste is outstanding... Nothing like the store-bought orange habs. The chocolates have an outstanding flavor. Mine didn't seem smoky like others have commented, but did have a crisp, citrusy flavor. I'm saving seeds and plan to grow them again, but lots more than 1 plant!

o

Ohmigosh my mouth is watering. Will try my first one tomorrow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here