Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_missy

Washing/Cleaning Peppers

Bill_Missy
9 years ago

Okay Guys and Gals.

Just a topic to run with.....

I am just curious how every one cleans their peppers before use (Hand wash, scrub with tooth brush etc..)

I know most of mine when I pick have dirt or even a "web" on them or even salt from a foiler spray.

Personally, I pull the cap off, rub/rinse under cold water and then run a tooth brush over the outside skin. Then place on towel to dry then use.

Just curious how every cleans peppers before use.

Bill

Comments (11)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

I don't apply any pesticide that isn't either OMRI listed or considered "organic" and can't be used up to day of harvest. So far, this year, BT and sulfur. So, I just rinse thoroughly with cool water and let air dry.

Kevin

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

Don't use anything for insects, never have, usually good insects handle the bad, only thing I deal with on a greater scale is aphids, I hand squish them. I never use any foiler spray. So it's splash with water and make hot sauce or dry for powder.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

hahaha, depends on my mood. Yesterday I picked some padrons and just tossed them directly into the pan with olive oil. The most I do is rinse, but as evident above, sometimes not even that.
    Pam

• toolstack
    9 years ago

I haven't had any problems with pests other than aphids I used an mineral oil mixed with water spray and it smothered them. So I give them a good rinse with water.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

I too use nothing for pest control, other than a .410 for hornworms,

Just rinse off the dirt (if any) and chew.

Dennis

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Usually quick rinse but sometimes plant - hand - mouth.

• plantsman56
    9 years ago

Alright Dennis! I used a bb gun so we aren't too far off. I fine then of work water, but if I see a web, I'll wipe that off. I too, don't use insecticides. A good way to kill aphids is to mix a 20/80 solution of rubbing alcohol to water. Pure alcohol will kill just about any insect, so the mixture rate can vary with what you want to kill.

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Warm water rinse over a full strainer of them, and that's it.

Jay

• vedabeeps
    9 years ago

A short bath in a bowl of water and vinegar and then a good rinse. (If they're visibly dirty a quick rinse precedes the soak.)

Here's an article that talks about a study that compared just a rinse, scrubbing with a brush, the diluted vinegar/ water soak and anti-bac soap:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=14540742

Spraying each piece is too tedious for me, hence the bowl to soak in.

Doing this has given all of my produce a much longer storage life- almost no bacteria on the surface to promote spoilage.

This post was edited by VedaBeeps on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 19:39

• PunkRotten
    9 years ago

Usually just rinse and rub with water. Other times I will soak them in bowl of vinegar water. The vinegar kills any surface microbes and provides a protective layer. I even read the peppers will keep longer if washed with this method.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Like punktRotten.

Just rinse with tap water. Unless I have a whole bunch and want to keep in the frig. Then, after washing put them in water/vinegar for a while then take them out and let air dry. Vinegar ( acetic acid) may help to kill some germs/bacteria and prevent from rotting longer. Often I would pick peppers off the bush and eat them right there and then. Of course, I know that I have not used any harsh chemicals/pesticide/herbicide on them. I am neither fussy nor germ.o.phobe.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms