Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetisme

Offering Seeds to Others

violetisme
11 years ago

Hi all,

I'd like to be able to offer my own pepper seeds here when they're ready. I'm not sure if my seeds would be welcome though because I don't have the room to separate each pepper variety. Each flower is pollinated by bees and the wind so I'm bound to end up with crosses eventually.

Do people here only exchange seeds that they can isolate, or is it assumed that the seeds have the potential to be hybrids?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (18)

• smokemaster_2007
    11 years ago

Most of the seeds people trade or SASBE aren't isolated.
    Usually if you don't tell people they are isolated,most will assume they aren't.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Very kind of you, just offer seeds/trade and let them know it's open pollinated and you will be fine. I have given and accepted open pollinated. Usually even with open pollinated they grow true. also who would be in a funk over the kindness of an SASBE, I am thankful there are those who offer!

Mark

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I agree. I give out seeds and accept seeds from others. I haven't had any crosses that I could tell were crosses and no one has complained about what I sent. But then, they are free after all. Those who really want to ensure their seeds grow true should order from a reputable source or buy out of a garden center for the more common varieties. But if you just want to "try" a new variety, half the fun is seeing what you wind up with.

I am guessing a high percentage of serious growers on this list use those same harvested seeds every season. So, I figure, it if is good enough for them, it is good enough for me.

So, sure, harvest a bunch of seeds and offer them up this fall/winter. You will have lots of takers, believe me. And in return, you will find plenty of others with seeds you may want. Glad to have you on the list.

BTW: what kinds of peppers are you growing this year? Any pictures you might want to post?

Bruce

• homefry319
    11 years ago

Alternatively if you want to isolate your seeds and don't have the room you could do something like this..

it's a bag made out of a material called aribon use it to protect stuff from light frosts and on the squashes to protect them from bugs, it allows both light and water through

You just need I make sure there isn't any blooms that have been pollinated already

• tsheets
    11 years ago

I always appreciate it when it's stated up front whether they are open pollinated or have been isolated. Not that it really matters, as others have stated. But it's just that little obsessive gene that makes me want to know. :-)

Personally, if I am going to save seeds, even for myself, I usually bag them like homefry shows. You can also use tulle fabric as a cheap alternative.

• violetisme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies everyone! I was hoping my seeds would be welcome. =)

@Bruce:
    This year I'm growing Yucatan White Habanero, Mayan Love, Fatalii, Chocolate Habanero, Pumpkin Habanero, Red Rocoto, Ancho San Luis, Pimient de Espelette, Cherry Bomb, Serrano, Black Pearl, Mirasol, Large Red Thick Cayenne, Trinidad Scorpion Moruga, Cascabel, Purple Jalapeno, Mucho Nacho Jalapeno, NuMex Twilight, Holy Mole, Hot Fish, Spanish Padron and Brazilian Starfish. There might be more, but I can't remember the rest.

Unfortunately, a lot of my pepper pics have come out blurry, but I have a good image of the Black Pearl.

@homefry319:
    Thanks for the awesome tip! I might try that on a couple of my varieties.

@tsheets:
    I'll definitely mention my seeds are open pollinated when I offer them later this year!

Thanks again all!

• violetisme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm, I tried to post my one good pic of the Black Pearl using the "Choose File" button, but I just noticed it didn't go through.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

You have an impressive grow list there and you will probably get a lot of interest if you choose to offer up seeds.
    Bruce

• violetisme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Bruce. I definitely will offer seeds when they're ready. Hope you all are having a great harvest!

• HeatMiser
    11 years ago

I'm new... and a bit fanatic... to the pepper growing experience. I have found a lot of satisfaction in growing many different varieties (about 10 in my first year). I would think I'd be excited if I ended up with a crossbred variety. You have something that noone else has. There was a very long thread I read earlier where someone was very excited to have a mutant New Mex Halloween that was mild. Obviously, if you sell your produce you would need reliability, but if you're in business it would probably be prudent to by from the hippy seed company or something where you know exactly what you're getting instead of saving a few bucks by getting seeds from a generous stranger online. Basically, if you're still in a generous mood when your seeds are ready, I'd be more than happy to take a few off your hands and see if there are any interesting surprises. :D

• kentishman
    11 years ago

I hope you'll save seeds for Padron. I was given seeds but I couldn't get them to germinate. Maybe they were too old. Based on your grow list, I should have some varieties you'll be interested in and we can trade.

Tom

• violetisme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tom, I'll definitely save the padron. They have been one of the healthiest and vigorous of the season!

• kentishman
    11 years ago

Thanks violetisme. I'll make a note to contact you later in the season.

Tom

• lorabell_gw
    11 years ago

That Padron does sound interesting...is this your first year with those or have you grown them before... Did they end up being all sweet, all hot, or a mix? Definitely interesting, and interested. And the piment d'espellete...super yum....

This year is my first real year of peppers, and I've over 30 different types and enjoying them all way too much...very addicting. I definitly would like to trade..share...

• violetisme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lorabell, this is my first time growing the padron. I haven't had a chance to taste them yet, but I'll probably be able to in a couple of weeks. Can't wait!

Glad to know I'll have so many other chile pepper gardeners to share these seeds with when they're ready. =)

• highalttransplant
    11 years ago

Hi Violetisme! If some of those varieties you are growing came from the seed exchange I hosted this spring, they were pretty much all open pollinated. As others have already mentioned, unless someone specifically notes that the seeds were from isolated peppers, than most people will just assume they aren't.

Set aside a few seeds for next year's swap, and who knows what all you'll have your 2013 growlist, LOL!

Best wishes on your growing season!

Bonnie

• violetisme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Bonnie! Good to hear from you. =) I'm definitely holding seeds for the next swap. That was so much fun and I got everything I wanted on my wish list!

Btw, here's a pic of an ancho san luis that I'm growing from the seed I got from you. The plant is extremely healthy and growing like crazy. =) Thanks again!

• highalttransplant
    11 years ago

Wow, yours are way ahead of mine! My plant is just now blooming.

Sponsored