Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reaper Noob......

Posted by Handsome54 6a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 20:27

First time growing Carolina Reaper...... Does this look accurate? Seems like a lot of pod variation........

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reaper Noob......

I'd say it's within the range....the one above, not pictured, looks better. If you intend to harvest seed, I would recommend harvesting only from pods with the desired phenotype. As someone else said, We have to stabilize this pepper for Ed :-)

Good example of a pepper that probably hit the market a little too soon....

Josh

o

Definitely save seeds form the one above with the tail! Listen to Josh.......He's pepper smart!

Tim

o

I'm getting pods that look just like that on my "improved reaper 1" plants, so I think that is a decent one. You can tell by the bumps on that larger pod that it's going to be really hot. Keep in mind that there are hidden genetics in each plant. If that is the only plant you have, take seeds from a good pod and you will get some plants that produce even better looking pods with longer tails, etc.

o

Thanks folks! Yup any new strain is going to be a little quirky for several generations..... Saving seeds prolly not a good idea here due to the fact that I'm growing several Butch T's next to these without netting them......

Here's a better pic of the pod (with a tail) that Josh mentioned.....

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 20:56

Yah, that tail looks good. My reaper is more like your other pods. No real nice defined stinger on any of them though. I am likely not going to be growing the "Reaper" any longer until the strain is better stabilized. The problem is that it seems the original seed was released too early and with everyone growing it now, it is going to be tough to weed out the bad seed. It is too bad they didn't keep the original strain in the laboratory for a couple more generations to nail down the purity a little better. Now we have dozens of variations that are going to keep making their way back into the overall seed stock.
Bruce

o

• Posted by cugal 5b-6a NE Ks (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 12:04

Thanks Bruce! Yeah I've been doing some research on this pepper & the masses concur with your take.........

It's all about money........

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here