Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaosnh

Flowers form but won't open

jaosnh
9 years ago

Hi all,

I'm growing a Chinese 5-color pepper plant. The plant seems to be doing well in all respects, except it forms crinkly flowers that puff up, almost like paper lanterns, but don't open. I transplanted it mid-May and it had flowers within a couple weeks. The foliage is nice and full and it has plenty of these half-formed flowers on it. When I open the flowers myself, there is a tiny pod in them, but eventually the buds all whither and fall off. It's in a large container on a sunny balcony and the eggplant and tomatoes next to it are all doing great. I planted it with some compost, but held off on fertilizing it initially, because that's what my guides seemed to suggest.

After patiently waiting to get some mature flowers, I've since used an epsom salt treatment and some all-purpose 6-6-6 organic fertilizer without any noticeable results. I had a purple jalapeno that did really well in the same container last year and I thought this plant would do even better since it was recommended for container gardening.

Any ideas?
Photo attached.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022