Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socarrob

Opinions on superhot for sauce

I want to grow a superhot to make sauce with for next year. I'm the only one in my family that likes anything hot or spicy at all, so cooking with hot peppers is pretty much out. So I'm left with making a sauce if I want to have spicy food. But I don't have any experience with superhots. I've watched a lot of reviews, but I would like some opinions from you guys/gals.

My question is this: which ones have good flavors that lend themselves to sauces and what kind of sauces? What I mean by that is some sauces are citrus like and some are more vinegar like or garlic like. Any input would be appreciated and valued.

Comments (13)

• mbellot
    9 years ago

I enjoy the flavor of 7 Pot (Red) best of the superhots I grow. They are especially good smoked.

I dehydrate most of the peppers I grow and grind them fine. Mixed with some granulated onion and garlic it makes a great shake on seasoning (my family are also not into spicy foods).

You can also use the powder to make some killer potato chips. :)

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

I find the best tasting sauces come from a mix of different supers. but I do love the taste of moruga scorpions.

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

My question for you is, What kind of 'over the counter' sauces do you like?
    The more citrus, more vinegar, sweet, Smokey..... how hot? Is a half bottle of Tabasco sauce on your breakfast hot or just barely enough heat?

Every pepper has its own unique flavor and people often use ingredients that enhance those flavors for their pallets, in some superhots that flavor is quickly erased by serious burn if your pallet can't handle it, make sure you
    know what your getting into before you puree a bunch of bhut jolokia or seven pot and squirt it on your meal.
    Dj

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Many peppers have no heat but great flavor, like the Numex Suave Orange habanero. Great flavor, no heat.
    Using Goya Bitter Orange, lime, or lemon juice instead of vinegar, gives a nice citrusy flavor with out the sweetness.
    You could grow one bush or two of super hots, dehydrate those, and add them sparingly to your sauces for the family, and more for your own personal use.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

Ghost is my favorite for sauce, combine the citrus, vinegar, garlic and sweet of choice it will all go well. If cooking indoors is out, (it only took one time cooking indoors to clear the house out and get banned from cooking peppers in the kitchen) you may have to end up making sauce like I do outside on the grill. I boil my hot sauce woozy bottles indoors while I cook my ingredients outdoors and I use a cast iron skillet on the grill and the blender is also outside.

Mark

• kentishman
    9 years ago

Maybe they're not in the superhot category, but Datil peppers make a great sauce.

• kentishman
    9 years ago

Duplicate post. Sorry!

This post was edited by kentishman on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 9:02

• kclost
    9 years ago

Ghost, and you can mix in any other pepper for any flavor variation you want and still have the heat...

• SoCarRob (Zone 7)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys have given me a lot to think about. Perhaps I should buy a sauce made from superhots and see how I like it before I dive in with both feet. Spending a few bucks now before investing quite a bit more later sounds like a better idea.

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

if you're interested in trying some sauce made from superhots, email me. I have ones ranging from half a hot pepper per bottle, with lots of flavor, to fire in a bottle (and still a lot of flavor).

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

Go for it, it will be better to make your own. Most sauces out there are ok but in my opinion lacking. My main ingredient is pepper, I use 10-12 ghost that may sould like too much heat but the other ingredients tone it down, that amount makes two bottles, onion and garlic are the only other fillers that I use little of. I don't want a sauce that has one pepper and a bell pepper as a filler or tomato or carrot etc. This is just my opinion, I prefer the true flavor of the pepper over filler.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

I very much enjoy the flavor of the ghost. But I have to ask, are you going to be using enough pepper in the sauce, and enough sauce on your food, to be able to tell the difference, flavorwise?

It might be wise to use a less difficult pepper, at least to start with. Trinidad Congo or Chocolate Habanero are both tough, prolific, and majorly hot, and taste pretty darn good to boot. Grow (one of) them for your main ingredient, and grow a ghost for the experience, and hopefully for some contribution.

As for sauce, I ground up my extras last year with salt and vinegar to make a mash, cooked it lightly, and put it in the refrigerator. It retains a great deal of the peppers' original flavor, and is pretty close to keeping whole pods around. A half teaspoon in or on a dish will knock your socks off.

Dennis

• SoCarRob (Zone 7)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's a good question Dennis, and one aspect that I hadn't considered. That's also something that I might have to learn through experience and personal taste and experimentation. This is new territory for me, both with the sauce and with the growing side of things. Maybe I'm trying to run before I know how to walk so to speak.