Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianlori

Will I harvest big leaves only?

CanadianLori
10 years ago

I started these plants, Trin Scorp Moruga, 7 Pot, Devil's Tongue from seed around April 9th - and have only used Miracle grow twice, in the last two weeks.

These just don't look like the pleasant plants everyone else has.

Am I growing leaves? I held a $1. bill next to them to show the scale.

Comments (18)

• CanadianLori
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another pic

• CanadianLori
    Original Author
    10 years ago

last one - will figure out how to post multiples soon.

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

Give them some more time. I started seeds late January - early Feb and just now getting pods. I have two Moruga's with no flowers or pods and look like your plants. Yours look very healthy and nice. My rule... relax, enjoy, have another beer and leave them alone. Just my 3 cents...

Bill

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

my 7pots had leaves that looked a lot like that. I started trimming a few off, and it branched out where I cut leaves from. that's just me though. your plants look quite healthy though.

• PepperGuy222
    10 years ago

Think of leaves like solar panels. The bigger they are the more energy they can produce for the plant. I have Naga Vipers and the leaves are even bigger than that and it's an amazing plant. Let it do it's thing, be blessed your leaves aren't falling off, dying or rotten with a pest!

• CanadianLori
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. I kept looking at the pictures of everyone else's marvelous plants and thinking that my leaves were far to big in comparison.

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

C.Lori, very nice healthy looking plants, you have grown them very well.

What a coincidence ! My pictures of of 24th May is here T.Scor. MB.

{{gwi:1194505}}

I hope you do not mind of my picture here :-)

She is the best plant I have ever grown. The leave with the $ is still healthy and strong. I re-potted her to a about 10 gallon container. I have not cut any leaves if they are not shading and suffocating the lower branches and the upper soil layer.

In your pictures I see the small branches under the leaves but I do not see any problems with those big leaves. If I were you I'd turn the containers time to time to give more lights to the lower branches but it depends on the source of light/sunlight. I would stake a big one before they are growing very big. If your plants are indoors so you may not have problems of wind. Those big leaves plants in the strong wind would be very problematic.

Usually C. chinense are bushy and sometimes need management of the leaves and branches to give lights and keep clean the upper soil that is prone to get minor problems to serious.

I do not think you need to harvest those beautiful big leaves, just like PepperGuy said "leaves like solar panels".

Good luck and enjoy.

Caelian

• CanadianLori
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is a riot - thank goodness the bills aren't the same serial number... :)
    These are inside the hobby greenhouse I purchased in the middle of april.
    Now it looks like the biggest challenge will be getting enough sun.
    It is miserably cloudy and only hitting high 60's and 70's up here and will be for the rest of the week. Wearing socks in July!

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Hobby greenhouse with grow lights and fan? My previous message has wrong spelling, sorry.

Caelian

• CanadianLori
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is the Palram 6 x 8. Sturdy, unbelievably well engineered.

No lights, no insulation, just really a season extender. I did set up a little fan in there. It runs on power supplied by parts scavenged from old solar garden lights.

Now I'm working on a solar water heater to supply radiant heat. May be a dream only..

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

Where is your Canuck pride Lori?

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Not only are they good solar panels but they are good for protecting the fruit from sunburn. I have actually put some of my fruit in cotton drawstring bags to keep them from burning. I don't think I will get a single Beaver Dam unless I cover them, every single one has sunburn spots.
    Pam

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

My super hots are growing like that. Especially my TS Butch T. It has leaves that cover my hand. But it is also producing lots of blooms and buds. No pods yet. My Carolina Reaper (looking like a cross or perhaps mislabeled) has several pods and my Giant Ghost has pods as well. They all have huge leaves but are nice, green and the plants are doing well. Super hots always get started late but tend to put out huge amounts of pods all at once.
    Bruce

• SgtPepper
    10 years ago

My first year plant had huge leaves as well. Second year not so large. I think once they go into pepper production, the leaves become smaller.

• CanadianLori
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The new Canadian bills. Now buying things with plastic can mean more than one thing!
    I have two Maple Leafs flying at my house and a little one on my car antenna. Need to do something about the one on the antenna cause it keeps sliding down to half mast - hope that's not an omen about my peppers...

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

They keep trying to update the currencies, but every time I turn around it looks like it is getting closer and closer to Monopoly money each time.
    Bruce

• CanadianLori
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How Canuck is this eh? :)

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

LMAO! Beauty!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!