Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fiedlermeister

Trinidad Scorpion-FG

fiedlermeister
15 years ago

I would like to hear from anyone who is growing this from seeds from me. My question is does this come true from seed, both shape and color.

john

Comments (18)

• smokemaster_2007
    15 years ago

My plants aren't budding yet.
    I'll make sure to let you know what they grow into for sure.

• scott_atk
    15 years ago

I will be sure to post once I have some peppers. The seeds I got from you are now 2' tall plants, but my blossoms have been dropping due to the heat (presumably).

I've also been battling some bad cases of those fat green caterpillars, aphids and what appears to be small, white flies. Most of my C. Chinense have taken hard hits and have severely curled leaves and stunted new growth.

I have started a treatment regimen so hopefully between that and the few ladybugs I find the plants will start taking off again.

Scott

• cronky
    15 years ago

John-

I have about 10 full sized pods ready to change color any time now. The shape is a little variable with some having the stinger and others being more conical. My TS-FG is the most vigorous of all the peppers I have growing...easily twice the size of any other. I'll get some pics when they ripen up.

Bryce

• fiedlermeister
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys. Some variation is normal.

• cmpman1974
    15 years ago

John,

I regret to say I lost this one due to frost in late May. I was excited about it. I guess you can't win them all. I am growing 3-4 other variants of a Yellow Trinidad Scorpion from other sources across the world. We'll see how many, if any, keep their original characteristics in this generation. I'll report.

Chris

• trfanatic
    15 years ago

can someone let me know what "FG" is?

Thanks

Ravi

• fiedlermeister
    Original Author
    15 years ago

FG is the initials of my source ( and distinguishes it from other Trinidad Scorpion from different sources).The reason I am asking about this particular version ( yours may still be interesting Chris) is that it was supposed to be a regular red one. My source had not had a yellow version. So we want to know if it's a fluke or will come true from seeds.I distributed to several people so now we just need to know what they got.

john

• txsummer
    15 years ago

Hi John,

No blossoms set or fruits on my plants, yet. It might have been the garden soil, or the temp here...plants seem stunted. I'll post once there are fruits on any of the plants. Thanks again:)

• User
    15 years ago

John,

Alas, I regret to inform that the two Trinidad Scorpion FGÂs that I started from the seed you generously forwarded were wiped out by a Thrips infestation I suffered this spring.

I started a couple of each variety you forwarded (excellent germination rates by the way) and the only surviving plants are one of each; Ethiopian Brown Berber; Gold Habaneo and; Billy Goat Red.

Overall, I lost 150 once very healthy pepper plants. Add 22 days of rain and cooler than normal temperatures in June along with high earwig counts and it sums up a pretty dismal pepper season this year. IÂm thinking of starting a new crop this fall inside under HID lights. Assuming IÂm not struck with another pest problem or get hit by lightning, I will report my results on all the varieties you forwarded.

Bill

• smiciklas
    15 years ago

I lost my Trinidad Scorpion due to frost at and of May too I will try next year again John.

• fiedlermeister
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Seems lots of people are having problems this year, mostly weather realted. We also had a cool wet spring and early summer and my plants are lagging. I also had a lot not germinate this year. On the other hand the rest of my garden is doing well.

• zanderspice
    15 years ago

I came home yesterday to find my Trinidad Scorpion in hydro had toppled over. I lost a nice 2.5 foot shoot, but it looks like it will recover. No pods yet, but i have a huge green bush ready to start producing.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    15 years ago

I had excellent germination with seeds I received from you. Most were very quick to sprout and I think every one I planted grew. The plants were doing well in large pots. I placed them in a shady place while we were on vacation so they would not get too dried out. Now I know that is where the slugs hide out and they like to eat pepper leaves! However, the plants are mostly okay and growing holeless leaves now. I don't have your Trinidad Scorpions, though. I went for some milder ones, mostly :) Thanks for all the fun varieties.

• kbreue1
    15 years ago

John, my TS is covered with pods and is huge. They all have a very prominent stinger but have not turned color as of yet. All the seeds I received from you are thriving, including the Seven Pod. The only seed I am not sure is true is the Billy Goat. I will post pictures of all the plants in the next few days.

• goose77
    15 years ago

i have about 3 ts growing at my grandma's farm and i haven't seen them in about 4 weeks, but i was told they were about a foot tall or so a couple weeks ago. They are well taken care of so i am sure they are much bigger and have pods. I will check them out either this sunday or next friday.

• tigerb8
    15 years ago

That may be a cross, all the Trinidad scorpions I have
    grown were quite bumpy with a "sticker" coming out of
    some of the more pronounced "bumps", the pic shows a
    much smoother pod. How's the heat???

ButchT

• scott_atk
    15 years ago

John,
    I have harvested 4 peppers from one of my smaller Trinidad Scorpion-FG plants. All of them have had a non-distinct stinger and have ripened to a yellow-orange color. The plant that these peppers have come off of has suffered very heavily this year from aphids and a small whitefly. The robust, healthy plants that I have (2) have peppers on them that have a more prominent stinger, but none of them have ripened yet. I had intended to take pictures, but got too excited about the peppers ripening and I picked them and ate them. :)

They were pretty hot, but not as hot as I expected. I know that every plant is different, but this plant has been the epitome of "stressed" throughout the whole growing season so I would think the peppers would be scorchers. The plant has done so poorly that I have considered pulling it a couple of times.

I will provide you updates on the other 2 plants as the peppers ripen. All of the peppers from you that I have grown are now producing peppers, but it's so hot here that there haven't been any huge harvests. I'm pretty excited that I now have peppers on the Jamaican Scotch Bonnets, 7-pot and Bhut Jolokias.

Scott

• stefani_moore_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Can anyone tell me why my trinidad scorpion plant has started developing brown spots on the leaves. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them?

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor