Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bzzzzz7777

Loads of Bhut Jolokia peppers...now what?

bzzzzz7777
12 years ago

My bhuts have produced wonderfully with new peppers ripening daily. I have harvested around 100 peppers so far. While I have just been dehydrating them, I would love to hear some other ideas that I can implement using this very hot pepper. I am also being over run with scotch bonnets although my friends will actually eat these lol.

Comments (13)

• simsedward
    12 years ago

You can freeze them, pickle them or make them into hot sauce (can it and preserve it - it will keep for years, though it never lasts that long at this house).

• bzzzzz7777
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Any good recipes for hot sauce using fresh bhuts? Most of the ones I have been able to find use dried peppers.

• Spongey600
    12 years ago

you can send me some! LOL congrats on the huge harvest
    eric

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

I have not tasted the bhut yet, but they are beautiful peppers, as for the scotch bonnets, they are delicious I know, congrats on the plentiful bounty, cheers
    paul

• biscgolf
    12 years ago

smoke some bhuts, chop into one inch pieces, put in enough vinegar to cover them, add salt, and boil... refrigerate a week or so... puree, strain, and bottle.

try not to breathe while you're boiling it... tee hee.

• capt_saicin
    12 years ago

This year I am having great production too. Probably about 400 peppers from 5 plants from 2 'crops' so far with another 'crop' maturing now.

I freeze a few for adding to sauces, chili, etc. but mostly I slice them to make rings, dry (dehydrate) them for 6-8 hrs., cold smoke them with Hickory or Mesquite for 6-8 hrs. then grind to a powder in a food processor.

(I do all of this outdoors)

• bzzzzz7777
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So these will smoke well? I have heard of cold smoking jalapenos, but had not considered that with these. I think I will give it a shot this weekend. Would you want to dehydrate before smoking, I figured that would limit the amount of smoke they will absorb.

• biscgolf
    12 years ago

i don't dehydrate beforehand.

• capt_saicin
    12 years ago

Never tried smoking b4 dehydrating. My thoughts on dehydrating first is that the drying process will 'blow away' alot of the flavor due to the forced air circulating for 6-8 hrs.

Plus slicing into rings and dehydrating first greatly reduces the volume of the peppers as they shrink considerably allowing me to spread them out in a single layer on the screen above the smoking device.

Also. I do not remove the seeds as they are ground up as well and increase the volume of finished powder.

• sandy0225
    12 years ago

easy tabasco sauce

wash peppers, remove stems (You don't have to cut off the green part that's on the pepper itself, just take off any excess stems)

pack peppers loosely in a quart or even a gallon or half gallon glass jar with a secure lid. Add 1/4 t salt per quart capacity of jar. 1gal=1t salt.

fill the jar to the top with white vinegar.
    Place lid on jar and set it in a warm place, like the top of the refrigerator for 3-4 months until peppers are soft. If the level of vinegar goes down, top it off with more vinegar.

dump the jar in the blender and blend until liquefied.

dump it into a strainer and strain out the skins and seeds.

store in refrigerator after blending.

Now, you could smoke the peppers and then make this sauce for a smoky taste to your hot sauce. I bet that would really be good!

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

I make a similar smoked red hab sauce, just as simple, except w/ cider vinegar( ilike the favor better) just smoke peppers, add 2 cloves garlic peppers salt and vinegar to a jar tighten lid as much as possible store @ room temp for a month or so, and blend strain and enjoy

• under2manyjeeps
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I have been growing bhuts for over 4 years and have end up with far too many each season. Two of my solutions have been as follows:

1. Food saver 1 or 2 individually and freeze them. I have some from 2 years ago that taste identically fresh. The bonus is the are very easy to cut and mince frozen.

2. Last year at the end of the season I literally ended up with over 80 ripe peppers. I didn't want to make a sauce that heated the pepper(appreciate the unburnt taste to much) so I decided on a traditional tobasco procedure sans the oak barrels. I used a similar process to Sandy but just in a different order. Basically mashed the peppers and stored them in a mason jar with a fair bit kosher salt especially on top. Covered the jar with cloth and stored it under the kitchen sink with over the winter. After I assumed it was fully fermented I reblended (on liquify) the pepper mash with about 3 times white distilled vinegar and put it into a gallon jar. Placed the gallon in the frig for a couple weeks and I have to tell you it is unbelievable. The flavor is still smooth fresh, but about 100 times hotter than tobasco. Now, the question is how long will it take to use up a gallon of this good stuff?

• red_headed_aphrodite_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Hello, I too have oodles of bhut jolokia peppers! I have some recipes using the peppers, if you'd like to email me, I am willing to share with you! red_headed_aphrodite@yahoo.com
    Just state in the subject line: bhut recipes, or something like that :)
    Cheers!
    Rhonda Kay

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?