Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shoontok

Hungarian Wax Peppers

shoontok
13 years ago

Hello Pepper Lovers

I just stopped by the local farmer/nursery market and just added 4 established Hungarian Wax peppers to my garden. Im not too familiar with this pepper variety. These plants are already baring yellowish/greenish peppers and the little tag that comes with them says that they are red when ripe.

I found a nice spot for them that will give them plenty of sun and in a good soil mix that i made. Im wondering how hot these things are in relation to other peppers such as Peperoncini, jalapeno, cayenne, habanero, as these are the peppers im most familar with.

These hungarian wax peppers are already 2 to 3 inches long. If they indeed turn red i guess i should wait and see.

Anybody that has any experience with these peppers that can give me a summary of what to expect would be much appreciated.

Thx.

Shoontok

Comments (102)

• shoontok
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was countin out my life savin's on the cuttin board and then i dumped some garden pickin's on there.
    There be one of them there not ripened Hungarian peppers on there.

Im darn proud of my fresh grown garden produce. I did want to wait longer to pick that big pepper but it was danglin low on the pepper plant and was touchin the dirt. i figgered i go ahead and pick it and stuff it with some cheese and such, maybe topper off with a slice of bacon and bake it up for an appetizer.

Them two baby pepperoncini were dirt danglers too. seems new branches formin down low on them plants right at the dirt level. them baby peppers draggin down them baby branches. Few more weeks for pepper growin up here in the northlands and then it time to harvest all and select the proud few pepper plants to be trimmed down and winter on the windowsill.

Happy peppering
    Jim

• nitti610
    13 years ago

The Hungarians are still my best producers. These are pics from today. This will be the 3rd harvest. The first two times I picked them prematurely. I had them exposed to searing heat and most had sun scald. Not this time! These are staying on the plant until they turn red or I get dangerously close to first frost. I'm glad I chose this pepper. The heat is perfect for me (I'm a hot pepper lightweight), and the flavor is excellent.
    Hopefully I can keep them alive all winter in my overwintering attempt.

The cherry peppers have done well too. I think I'll try to keep this one alive.

• nitti610
    13 years ago

Hey Josh, I know you are an expert. Why the different foliage in the way our plants look? Mine & Jim's look bushy, lots of foliage. Yours looks taller, bigger leaves, and not very bushy. Is this the difference in fertilizers or something to do with sun exposure or some other act of nature? Any idea?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Thanks, but I don't consider myself an expert!

Hot, dry California, zero summer rain, very little fertilizer,
    grown in-ground in mixed sun/shade....

Josh

• nitti610
    13 years ago

Well, your humility is admirable but you are much more seasoned than I am. You have helped me immensely. This website has walked me through my first year growing.
    Well, I'm sure you already know, I'll be pestering you with questions as the seasons wind down. Thank you for all the help!

13 years ago

Thank you, again!
    This is only my third year growing peppers, so I don't have much past experience...
    I'm pretty confident in my techniques, but my range is still limited.

I enjoy the opportunity to interact with other growers, and to encourage new growers.
    Shortly after coming across the bonsai chile growing guide, I began exploring the
    pepper Forum. Some of the pics posted by Willard convinced me to give the pruning
    and re-potting a try.

Josh

• shoontok
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nitti. Them Hungarian plants look alot better then mine! i think yer doin a fine job man.

I just looked back at when i first started this post (July 10th. Thats when i transplanted them from the little nursery pots. Definitely i must get them in the ground earlier next yer. Cause mine are started to bloom up a storm now and the season coming to an end in a few weeks. It was damn hot and dry in NY this summer too. Majority of the summer was in the 90's and up. And very little rain.

I think sunlight and temps have alot to do with the pepper producing? My hot cherry peppers dont get much sun and havent produced anything. The Bell peppers im thinking didnt do good cause of the high heat causing blossoms to drop. The Pepperoncini were kickin arse all summer. Maybe different plants handle different conditions better then others?

• nitti610
    13 years ago

Thank you Jim! It's pretty funny how I got started. My wife bought a kit called ,"my first garden" for our 5 & 4 year olds. She dis not follow instructions and just packed multiple seeds in every hole she dug. Well, wee ended up with these monster plants in a few weeks. I started to take notice of other plants in the nursery section of lowes. I bought cherry hots, Hungarians ,jalapeño , & cowhorn. Almost every plant that wasn't a Hungarian was tiny and sorry looking. I am an engineer for a huge produce comapany, so I started taking empty 55gallon drums that used to contain citric acid. I cut them down and used them as containers for all the plants. All I did was water regularly, try to shade them from the searing heat in Philly and listen to Josh and these things (Hungarians) went ape sh*t! They have been growing non stop and producing like crazy. I will definetly be planning my garden next year. I'll have a head start after my overwintering attempt (hopefully)! I learned most of what to do by listening to u guys. A few weeks ago I didn't know that pepperoncini and Hungarian were different plants. I have a lot to learn. This forum is awesome!
    Frank

13 years ago

Frank and Jim, I can't wait to see how you guys expand your production next season!
    You'll be sketching tentative planting layouts and container schemes before you know it ;)
    And then the borderline-obsessive procurement of ever more exotic pepper seeds....

Josh

• nitti610
    13 years ago

Josh,
    I already ordered a case of bhut jolokia. Lol! I am an engineer for a produce packing company in Philly. We get any and everything under the sun and package it for the big chain supermarkets. I had one of the sales reps order me a case of bhuts so I can pick out all the ripe ones and save their seeds. I don't have the b*lls to eat them ,but I'll be growing them. :)
    I've already laid out plans for a small greenhouse indoors! Yea, I'm getting a little psycho already! Again, partially your fault, lol!
    Once I get them, I'd be happy to send both you guys some seeds. I know u had an issue with mixed up bhut seeds. Let me know if you're interested. I'll keep u posted on the bhuts. I'll be tracking their movements tommorow! Lol!

• evangelion
    13 years ago

Hi all, My first post here so please be gentle!

Growing Hungarian Hot wax for the first time this year, central to the UK, and besides a glorious june, with temperatures in the 90's, the rest of the summer was a bit of a wash-out.

Besides the Hungarian, I've grown a half dozen Scotch Bonnets, Habanero's, Jalapeno's, and a couple of Bell Peppers ... most have still to ripen off which I'm thinking is getting very late now, and even though most were grown in mini-greenhouses, and in a couple of cases while we were still experiencing late frosts to boot, they STILL need more time!

Anyways without further ado, here's the Hungarian! hope the linky works!!

My first question, what would be my best option for over-wintering? i understand Chilli peppers don't like central heating, which is pretty much the norm here, would it survive Ok in a garage, raised off the floor, and covered in a plant fleece? or would the sub-zero temperature we experience here still manage to kill it off?

Any replies/help appreciated!

• nitti610
    13 years ago

Hi evangelion,
    Im going to make my first attempt at overwintering as well. From everything I can gather, they should be kept in a sunny window inside the house. I'm pretty sure if you read back on this post, you will find all the links and info you need. I believe greenman28's post was called "Hungarian second overwintering" or overwintering "! Good luck!
    P. S, great looking plant!

• shoontok
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Josh, Yes i have been sketching plans in my head for the past few weeks for next years pepper plantings lol, also have been thinking about which plants im gonna attempt to overwinter indoors for quite some time (definetly a Hungarian Wax ). And damn right on the obsession to procure seeds too, lol, just last night i was looking online at various sites just to see what kind of seeds and prices are out there ;) Damn Josh you know me like a book.

Nitti, I would definetly love some of those Bhut seeds!

Evangelion, welcome to the hot pepper forum and thats a nice Hungarian Wax plant u got there! Im in the same boat as you are about wanting to save one of these plants over the winter. From what i gather you have to prune the plant way down and maybe even goin as far as pruning the roots down if ya want to put it in a small pot on a sunny windowsill. Like Nitti said, there are some other threads on overwintering plants.

• evangelion
    13 years ago

Aha! prune the roots back also, that hadn't occured to me and makes more sense than having a monster pot on the kitchen window sill all winter! lol

Cheers! :-)

• shoontok
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, i posted pictures on Aug. 29th of my Hungarian Wax peppers and now almost a month later they still arent ripe, lol.

They have gotten bigger both in the size of peppers and plant size and number of new pods but no ripeness!

I bet some of the peppers on there are equal in mass and weight to bell peppers.

Just a lil more patience! Im thinking that Hungarian Wax is gonna be my favorite pepper this year.

10 day forecast on weather channel says there isnt any frost in sight for next 10 days, so im good to go for now.

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

Posted by nitti610 (My Page) on Wed, Sep 8, 10 at 20:06

"Hey Josh, I know you are an expert. Why the different foliage in the way our plants look? Mine & Jim's look bushy, lots of foliage. Yours looks taller, bigger leaves, and not very bushy. Is this the difference in fertilizers or something to do with sun exposure or some other act of nature? Any idea?"

11 years ago

Already answered in my September 8, 2010 reply. Why are you copy & pasting this?
    Do you have an actual question, or are you just being obnoxious?

Josh

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

Low light levels. I have some jalapeno in ground in an area that has not much sun and I get a good harvest but I noticed they have big leaves and are taller. There is NOTHING the grower can do, it is about the light levels.

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

"Why are you copy & pasting this?"

I noticed that sun exposure is huge. I have plants that look different that are in different areas, sun and half sun. I wanted to make it clear it is not the grower, but the weather.

I was searching Hungarian Wax Peppers and this just came up. I may try Hungarian Wax.

"Do you have an actual question, or are you just being obnoxious?"

What? Greenman, I dont have a question, nor am I trying to be "obnoxious"!?!?!?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I have three Sweet Banana Peppers growing in containers. They get a lot of direct sunlight. They are shorter, bushier and produce quite well. I have 5 in an above ground garden that gets only a few hours of direct sun but lots of indirect sun. They are taller, less densely foliated, have bigger leaves but seem to produce equally well. Of course soils are different but they get very similar nutrient feedings. Not sure if it is the sun exposure, the type of growing medium or the "containers" that they are in but there is a difference between the two groups.
    Bruce

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

"Do you have an actual question, or are you just being obnoxious?"

Greenman,

What would make you think I would ever have a question for you?

You keep saying how little growing I have done in many topics and posts, and keep giving advice to many. It is clear by the pics of your peppers you grow you clearly can not grow, nor would never think anyone should ever take your advice. I was holding off on saying that, but with the many comments directed at me I have to make it clear to viewers you give advice with no experience. Everyone take a look at greenmans peppers then take a look at mine.

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

It seems the only way Greenman responds to anything if he can say something bad about me.

Greenman you asked why I posted that, then I answered:
    "Low light levels. I have some jalapeno in ground in an area that has not much sun and I get a good harvest but I noticed they have big leaves and are taller. There is NOTHING the grower can do, it is about the light levels."

It seems like because you can not find something bad to say to me you now choose to not respond.

When you showed me the myth of bloom boosters and I agreed, you then choose to not respond because I agreed. It seems if I did not agree you would then respond with something to make fun of me about and why I am wrong.

You are looking at some debates I have had in the past like "why container dont need holes" and I said you stated wrong info in that post. If I have said anything like that in the past it was for sake of argument.

I made it clear before that it is the light levels that would cause that, but I could bet because I said "you can't grow", which is not true, you now will respond with remarks about me. You said in the container forum many time about how I don't know anything and I am just saying how could you say that, greenman? You have seen my peppers I thought they were good? I have seen you grow very nice plants, I hate to think because of my rude ways in the past the only way you will respond to me is if you have a way of making fun of me.

MG

• capoman
    11 years ago

MG, why not take it offline to e-mail directly rather then ranting on the forums here? I would have e-mailed you, but your e-mail option is not enabled. These are friendly forums. Let's keep it that way.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I am with Capoman on this one.
    Bruce

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

I am sorry guys. I will keep this a friendly place at your request. Greenman has every right to think I was trying to be obnoxious, but I really was not. I clearly did not mean anything I said about greenman not being able to grow, or what ever I said. It is very clear that is not the case at all. Greenman has increased my plant knowledge overall.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Accepted.

Now, this is a Hot Hungarian Wax thread so, in that light, I want to hear other's thoughts on this variety. I grew them as a mistake last year thinking I was getting Banana Peppers. Well, I wound up making lemonade out of lemons. I got a great recipe for cold canning them from Shoontook on this list and I eat them on every sandwich I make at home...until I run out of them. Just the right heat and consistency for my taste. They are one of my favorites. Not that have tried all that many though.
    Bruce

11 years ago

Let's all take a deep breath, indeed.

For the sake of this fine pepper community, and out of respect for Jim's Thread, we'll stay civil.

Cody, I haven't been home. I was renewing my CPR certification for the start of school tomorrow.
    Let me explain why I was suspicious of your first posting to this Thread. First, this is a two year-old
    Thread; second, you copy & pasted a question I had already answered, without offering any new comment
    or question in your post; and third, your past behavior, coupled with my recent intolerance. Those things
    combined caused me to be suspicious of your post as nothing more than trolling. In light of the very strange
    subsequent posts you made today, I don't think I was that far off the mark.

I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

Josh

11 years ago

Bruce,
    the Hungarian Wax is a great versatile pepper for sure, and anyone would be lucky to "accidentally"
    grow one ;-) The only problem I have is that I never grow enough to do what I want with them - this year,
    I hope to actually make a Hungarian gulash soup from the peppers. I'd also like to make Paprika powder.

Josh

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

Greenman,

"I hope you can see where I'm coming from."

I do see yes. It just seemed like when we talked about bloom fertilizers and you made me relieze that they are a myth, I then agreed, but then you never responded then either. A few other times I said something positive about the info I learned from you in a topic and you still did not respond then either.

Even though I may have been argumentative in the past, I speek the truth when I say I have learned tons and tons of great information from you, the bloom fertilizer myth being a really big one.

The upside- is now I did bring this 2 year old topic up again :)

Never grew Hungarian Wax, would like to try, along with bell peppers too.

• capoman
    11 years ago

Hungarian wax is one of my favorites and is a staple for me. I use it in everything, especially fresh such as in salads. Problem is, I can't taste the heat anymore. Some days I wish I hadn't played with the superhots since peppers I really like like Hungarian and Jalapeno taste as if they have no heat anymore. But at least now, I can taste that awesome citrus/smoke flavor of the superhots...

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

A true Pepper Junkie.
    Bruce

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

Capoman=my hero! I hope to someday taste something other than mind blowing heat when I sample a super hot. Notice I did not say "eat" a super hot. I haven't been able to attain that lofty goal yet.

Tim

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

Capoman,

Citrus/smoke is a great discription. These little thai I grew are just really hot, and they have a citrus/salty flavor, then the burn! ;)

About the Wax Peppers; I really do want to try growing them along with maybe Pepperoncini and can or pickle them. They do go good in salad, or even on a cheese steak!!! :)

• capoman
    11 years ago

Well, I may have to go on a pepper strike, anyway. My wife likes heat, but thinks I make everything far too hot, and I would like to enjoy the hungarians and jalapenos again.

But then how else will I clear out my sinuses or get an endorphin rush?

I may be a pepper junkie, but I don't eat whole superhots. I have eaten halfs before though for the fun. But what I really do is just incorporate it into foods and drinks. I love the way superhots like Bhuts warm the back of your throat rather then burn the tip of your tongue and lips like cayennes or similar do. It's weird how they affect you differently.

• capoman
    11 years ago

An example of what I do: If I make a spaghetti sauce, that my wife will eat I put one whole ghost pepper in. If it's for me, I'll put 2 or occasionally 3 max to a pot. So I'm not that crazy. If I make a Bloody Caesar (Bill are you really Canadian??), I'll put in a half dozen rings of about 1/8" thick instead of Tabasco.

So I like heat. But I'm not crazy (@,@)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I can't even imagine spaghetti sauce with one ghost pepper in it.
    Bruce

• capoman
    11 years ago

You don't eat them Bruce?

Man, if you go all that effort to grow them, you gotta at least be able to say you actually eat them....They are not as bad as you would think.The heat is much more tolerable and the flavor comes out when you cook them in something. The heat on the back of the throat is like a nice hot toddy!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Nope, you ain't gonna con me into doing something I will regret. :)
    Bruce

• rdback
    10 years ago

Posted by greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 20:27

Bruce,
    the Hungarian Wax is a great versatile pepper for sure, and anyone would be lucky to "accidentally"
    grow one ;-) The only problem I have is that I never grow enough to do what I want with them - this year,
    I hope to actually make a Hungarian gulash soup from the peppers. I'd also like to make Paprika powder.

Now Josh, don't yell at me for reviving this thread lol. I've always liked this thread and I was wondering if you ever made the soup. If so, you got a recipe?

And, to be totally honest, I sometimes start at the oldest threads and read forward, looking for something that shouldn't be lost. I think this thread qualifies.

Rick

This post was edited by rdback on Thu, Dec 5, 13 at 14:00

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Glad to see it come back Rick as the HHW is one of my favorites.
    Bruce

10 years ago

As a matter of fact, I DID make a nice Goulash (and misspelled the name, too, hehe)! Thanks, Rick and Bruce :-) I got the recipe from somewhere, and then I just used the Hungarian Wax peppers and the paprika powder + the dried Hungarian powder/flakes from my own stock. Here's the basic write-up that I did:

"Hungarian Goulash - beef pepper stew :-)

Chuck beef, beefstock, onion, potato, carrot, Hungarian hot wax pepper, parsley, caraway seed, garlic, paprika, olive oil, seasalt and black ground pepper to taste.Olive oil or bacon fat in pot, low cook the onions until translucent, salt to make tender. Add cut beef, sear all sides, add beefstock and water about one inch above the beef. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until meat is tender - could take 1 to 2 hours. Bring back up to a boil, add potato, carrot, pepper, caraway seed, paprika powder, and the parsley bunch (tied with butcher's twine). Reduce heat, simmer until vegetables are properly cooked. Salt and pepper to taste."

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Boy, I am glad I ate dinner a couple hours ago. That looks good. Really good.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I am hooked.

After reading the comments and discussions. I think I will grow HW next season. I find it a better substitute for both Jalapeno and Serrano : I am not a big fan of Jalap. HW has the meat of Jalap and the heat of Serrano. I like peppers that I can eat them right off of the plant, from early on til it ripens. I have also have seeds for pepperoncini.

• rdback
    10 years ago

Yeah baby, that's what I'm talking about!

Well done Josh, thanks for sharing.

Long live the HHW!

Rick

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Seyson: I find the HHW to be a relatively mild pepper. I have not eaten a Serrano, but I beleive they are not that hot. I also don't think they are as hot as Jalapenos from my experience. I am by no means a fire eater. I prefer to get my capsicum in small doses by eating a lot of pepper. I would be afraid to eat Jalapenos and certainly Serranos in the quantity that I eat HHW. They are not mild by any means but they are just the right heat to give me both a lot of flavor and bulk with a bit of zing. Eating a HHW off the plant would not make me uncomfortable like I think a Jalapeno would.
    Yes, I am a wimp. Jalapenos are "hot" IMO. But I do eat them in moderation.
    Bruce

10 years ago

Hey, thanks, guys! The soup was delicious, but I do have a couple notes. My broth was thin, so I think cooking more peppers for longer would help. Also, add more salt than you think you'll need! I had to keep adding salt.

And just for good measure, these are the very last Hungarian Wax peppers (and yellow Monkey Face) that I harvested this year (2013). They weren't as prolific as in year's past, but they sure were big and tasty!

Love live the Hungarian Wax!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Those are fake Josh. They are too pretty to be real. HHW are not supposed to be made out of real wax.

Bruce

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Bruce, I have grown Jalapeno. They are not very tasty and the heat is just concentrated in the seeds membrane. Serrano has more heat but thin skinned. So, I am finding alternatives and they are:
    -- Hungarian Wax
    -- Manzano (10 -30k shu)
    --- Fresno (similar heat as Jalap)

These are the peppers that I can eat and enjoy and get my dosage of Capsaicin without pain. I also do grow Habs, Koreans, Thai for sauce and powder.
    My idea of growing peppers is to use them mostly as fresh vegetable NOT JUST for sauce and flavoring. That is why peppers like HW fits the bill.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

seysonn: Pretty much mirrors my thoughts on the HHW.
    Bruce

10 years ago

Bruce, I can't believe how nice these last pods turned out.
    Seriously, the waxy coating makes them so photogenic...it'll be tough to stuff and roast them!

Josh

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living