Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is this grubby

Posted by t-bob west wa (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 21:19

does anyone recognize this and if so, what are its implications when they are on my peppers, the 2'nd i've found

found on pepper

and a bit of a side view

found on pepper-2

thanks for any help identifying
bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is this grubby

Wow....you beat me to it. I found 3 or 4 of these guys in the soil of one of my ghost peppers today. The plant seems healthy. I don't see any signs of them feeding on it. I too wondered if I should be concerned.

o

It looks like some type of catapiller larvae, you could try insecticidal soap or pyrethrum (both organics)

o

Make sure it's not a good guy larvae before you start spraying. I wiped out a few lacewing larvae before I knew what they were.
Was it damaging the plant? Check the underside of the leaves to see if there are other pests that this one may be eating. The lacewing larvae is similar, but I can't tell from your pic if it has legs.

Here is a link that might be useful: lacewing larvae images

o

Do your plants have aphids? If so the worm-like critter may be a flower fly youngster which destroys them. (Need close-up image to be certain.)

o

If it's one of these,it's good.
Syrphid Fly Larva.

Links below

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/NE/syrphid_flies.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Syrphid fly larva pics

o

i get these silly things all over my cabbage and broccoli plants. seems like these are the larvae for them. i maybe wrong but they look just like them. there worms that eat my plants.

o

• Posted by t-bob west wa (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 1:44

the little sucker fell off my finger and i couldn't find it again....i'll look for another in the morning. encouraging that it might be a good guy. there are PLENTY of aphids to feed on i assure you
thanks----bob

o

If they are Syrphid fly larva they move suprisingly quick around with their heads up looking for Aphids etc. to eat.
Their movements give them away.
They look like they are hunting something other than leaves to eat.
They move much faster than caterpillars.

They make a green cacoon then change into the fly.
I put one in a jar with a couple leaves because I didn't know what it was.It made a cacoon and a few days latter turned into a fly.

o

Looking at Smoke's link, it sure looks like a Syrphid fly larva. Lacewing was all I could think of. I was picturing some other beneficials in my(old)head, but couldn't think of the names so I couldn't look them up.

o

steven1032,

When I read your post I though uuugggg, I hope you don;t have cabbage moth issues. As long as the these silly things all over my cabbage and broccoli plants looks exactly like t_bob's caterpillar you're good I think. If they look more like the caterpillar in the link below you have a problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabbage Moth

o

Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 20:23

if it is a Syrphid fly larva, then this one took some slow down pills. It does look very very similar, but it sure wasn't moving fast. it was nestled into a small top leaf. I do hope that it is a Syrphid fly larva though if it munches on those dastardly aphids. I couldn't find another today....good day
bob

o

Maybe it was slow because it was full of juicey aphids and mine was hungry. :)

There are several different ones.
The fly that hatched wasn't yellow and black striped.It was silver and black.
I see a couple different ones flying around my plants from time to time.

Larva Pics

http://bugguide.net/index.php?q=search&keys=syrphid+fly+larva

Here is a link that might be useful: syphid fles

o
re: what is this grubby--cha ching for smoke

Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 16:49

ok folks, i am happy to say that all i had to do was
go off island to 'Merica, and things did happen. Today
i happily see no less than four flying around, and this
one was WORKING those *^$$#$%%&&(&%#@$^**( times fifty)aphids

so here is my helper, and may they multiply

syrphid fly, aphid eating fool,  you bet they are my friend

and not only that, i obviously need help, there are two helper varieties helping out help me help me.....do they or will they kills slugs....hmm, night patrol

HELP TIME 2, ladybug (mariquita) larva  and adult syrphid fly---git dam ayphids

feeling better than a week ago, but its probably like
any war........useless and stupid to pursue...no no no, not this time-----hope all of you folks day is good
bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here