Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ri_vintner

my 4th of July 'fire' works

Bhut Jolokia, Habs, Cayenne, Serrano, cherry Etc...

Comments (13)

• bri1010
    12 years ago

Jealous! Where are you located? My bhut jolokias are still green, and only about a half inch long still!

• PRO
    11th Hour Productions
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm in Florida and overwintered the plants

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

one helluva'fire'works show, beats any pyrotechnical display Ive ever seen, beautiful haul, how many bhuts was that?

• PRO
    11th Hour Productions
    Original Author
    12 years ago

around 45 bhuts, I've got 2 bags in my freezer already and new flowers on the plants

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

vintner, I was inquiring as to how many bhut plants

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Nice. I have a lot of peppers on all my plants but nothing turning colors yet. I think this 90+ heat has slowed them down. I can't wait to get some red Bhuts. I have several that are about 2" or so long already...been that way for a while too. Question for ri_vintner: How well do fresh peppers freeze? I was planning on drying most of mine. I dont want to get into canning but would love to know I could throw a bunch in the freezer and be able to pull one out every so often and thaw it to a something close to a fresh pepper.

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

Essox, I can field that one for you, I have been a chef for many years, and so have access to purveyors bulk products, so I have been buying cases of hot peppers from produce vendors through my restaurants and taking them home obviously it is hard for one or even 2 or 3 people to eat a whole case of chiles before they start to dry out or rot, so I have been making, hot sauces, purees pickle peppers, infused oils, and vinegars for years, w/o ever canning, just keep them in the fridge. as for your question they freeze just fine, in a ziploc freezer bag, or even better in a seal ameal or foodsaver, vaccuum pack bag, they obviously will not be a fresh pepper so they aren't good by themselves straight like fresh peppers, but to use them for cooking, is just fine, also roasting or grilling, or smoking them, pulling the skins off and freezing works very well also. hope this helps,
    paul

• Drakar2007
    12 years ago

@vintner: sorry for sounding like a noob here, but what are the long skinny green ones? they're like nothing I've seen before. Granted I only grow pretty common peppers (currently growing cayenne, 2 varieties of jals, 2 varieties of habs, serranos, a poblano, and some bell peppers), but I'm surprised I don't have any idea what those are in your picture.

• dante108
    12 years ago

Those Bhut's look delicious. Unfortunately my Naga Morich don't even have flowers yet.

• farnell
    12 years ago

@ Drakar2007

Those look like very long and tasty green beans.

• PRO
    11th Hour Productions
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@chile_freak
    I have 15 Bhut plants, but only 4 are producing peppers

@Drakar2007
    farnell is right, those are long bean.

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

Dragon Beans or Chinese Long Beans they are called if Im not mistaken, they are excellent when stir fried w/ fresh ginger and garlic, then hit w/ a mixture of soy sauce, fish sauce, mirin and brown sugar, kind of my own version of terriyaki beans

• Drakar2007
    12 years ago

oops, silly me, i didn't even stop to think that they might not be peppers at all, lol. nice looking beans!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County