Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange coloration on ghosts?

Posted by tom_92 NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:29

Hey everyone,

I'm recently new to growing hot peppers and this forum. I've ran into a problem that I can't find a solution to. One of my plants peppers have an odd brown/purple coloration starting from the stem. Is this something I should be concerned about? I have no idea and I was hoping some help from people who know more than me can teach me. Thanks.

If it helps, I bought these from a local farmer as young plants. I bought peppers from him last year and they turned out great. We have warm weather here in NJ during the summer, and its been raining a lot lately. Im trying to make sure not to over water them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange coloration on ghosts?

Here's another photo of another pepper.

o

Kinda looks like sunburn to me. I have it on some of mine too, the more experienced growers can tell you exactly what it is though.
Randal

o

Correct about the sunburn -- a mild case. The pepper will be fine.

o

Okay, thank you very much guys. I appreciate it.
What can I do to prevent it from worsening? It only gets afternoon sun as it is on the back patio.

o

You COULD shade it even more but I wouldn't worry about it since it's only a cosmetic issue and usually only affects a fruit or 3. Rotate the container maybe.

Kevin

o

Thanks for the replies guys, I was fretting thinking my peppers were diseased or something.

I appreciate it.

o

• Posted by jutsFL 9b (Orlando) (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 8:16

As they said above. When it ripens it will look normal as well.

Jay

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 10:32

Yep, sunburn. I have peppers that have much more of the discoloration. My Aji Limon are really sunburned but they tend to lose the discoloration when they ripen. I get it every year on some of my peppers and it never affects them negatively. I live in Wisconsin, so I would expect it to be worse down south. Nothing to worry about at all.
Bruce

o

This may be one of my problems too. Growing in philly so not to far from your garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here