Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20039395

Salt peter

User
9 years ago

I've been reading about soaking seeds in salt Peter and water to aid in germinating seeds, any information on this? Also where do you bye it?
Thanks
Randal

Comments (14)

• sjetski
    9 years ago

It is true, it roughs up the seed coats. It may only be worth using on stubborn pepper seeds such as White Bullets habs and Aji Panca, or old seeds +5 years old etc. Spectracide Stump Remover is pure saltpeter.

Steve.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spectracide Stump Remover

This post was edited by sjetski on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 22:39

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

I usually just stick my seeds in a pill bottle with some sandpaper and give a good shake to scarify the surface.

Kevin

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was recommended. That the seeds be soaked in tea for 30 minutes I've done this twice now and both times no germination.
    Randal

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

The most I've ever done is soak my seeds in warm water for a couple minutes. Usually I just plant directly.

Josh

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

I do that too Josh but overnight and after I've scuffed them.

Kevin

• tomt226
    9 years ago

"Saltpeter" is potassium nitrate.
    If you soak yer seeds in it, the stalks will be limp... ;-)

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

I tried it one year, didn't see enough difference to warrant the trouble. Although my friend uses it every year and swears by it. So... who knows. I just plant directly, no soaking, just soil and heat.
    Pam

P.s. Really funny Tom...

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am not having any luck with reapers I planted 11 on June 22 and they haven't come up. I planted another 6 on the 3rd of this month and again nothing. I put the seeds in the fridge for a couple of days and then soaked in tea for 30 minutes both times. Planted in peat pellets in tray with a dome with a heat mat under it. The first 11 are my fault I'm sure because I set the tray outside ( rookie mistake makes no sense looking back on it) and probably baked the seeds but the last 6 I thought would be up by now.
    Good joke Tom.
    Randal

• flipback23
    9 years ago

Toolstack,
    My reapers took 3 plus weeks to pop the surface so patience was a major virtue with those guys. I didnt use peat pellets though dont like them very much. I used MG seed starting mix.
    Rey...

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I knew they were going to take a while I think the first ones are toast though. I have a few more reaper seeds plus some others I ordered but before I plant anymore I think I'm going to get something other than the peat pellets. Avenir is one of the seeds I recently got, any idea if they are tough to get started to? One site I was looking at had in the seed description if it was hard to germinate and they recommend that you soak it in salt Peter for 24 before planting.

Randal

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

No fridge - peppers don't have to be "activated".
    No peat pellets - they cause problems after germination.
    The "weak tea" recommendation in the FAQ has not been supported by experience here. It probably doesn't hurt, but why not try something different?
    Since you are having trouble with your seeds, I recommend using the paper towel in a baggie method. Then you can see whether you're even getting germination. Just put the baggie somewhere warm, which shouldn't be difficult in June...

Dennis

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've seen the wet towel/baggie method in picture but have tried it. Is that all there is to it? Also what other problems from the peat pellets? I used them for tomato and peppers last February. I only got 1 tomato plant to transplant and maybe 8 pepper plants. They just wouldn't grow well.
    Thanks all for reading and replying.
    Randal

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

I do paper towel all the time. First I soak the seed overnight in water, sometimes with a few drops of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Then mark a paper towel for what will be on it (I do groups of different varieties on the same towel, each in their own little ink corral). Dampen the towel. Fish soaked seeds out of the shot glasses and lay in their corral. Fold over towel. Slide into a baggie. (For this step a professional would use a spatula.)

Seal baggie. Place baggie somewhere warm. Upper 80's is good. Not hotter. Wait one day. Check contents of baggie. Replace baggie. Repeat hourly until you see a seed with a tail. Remove (with tweezers) seed with tail and bury about 1/2" deep in starter pot or tray. Place label in pot. Stand back.

That's really all there is to it. Dead simple and very effective. Super hots can indeed take a while to germinate, but with the baggie method I start to worry after 10 days.

Dennis

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Dennis I'll try that.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths