Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
size question

Posted by kuvaszlvr 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 26, 11 at 21:41

I have been wondering, will excessive heat stunt the fruit of hot peppers? We've had 23 consecutive days of 100+ degrees, if you include 95 and up, it's been about since May. I've noticed most of my peppers are much smaller than expected, my long slim cayennes are 2", my fish are 1" as are my Santa Fe Grandes. Some of my varieties seem normal, but the majority are very small, Anchos are about 1.5", Anaheims about 3-4". Do you think it's the heat? They are all planted in compost.
thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: size question

• Posted by esox07 4, S. Cent Wisc (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 26, 11 at 23:19

Man that is some heat. Hope the humidity is low. I imagine that kind of weather could certainly put a strain on a pepper plant. Some are a bit more tolerable to heat though. I would suggest that you give them some filtered sun light, especially during the intense afternoon. Of course that is assuming you are growing them in containers. If they are in the ground, it would be a bit tougher to move shade to the plants than to move the plants to shade. The only peppers I am growing that match your list are the LRS. Mine are already putting out ripe pods and most are 3-4" or longer. Very few are under 3" including the green (non-ripe) ones.

o

Luckily the humidity is lower than usual, but it's still hot and 107 expected today (not the worst we've had, one year we had several days of 110+). Nope, none in pots, just out in the blazing sun. We might be growing more of the same plants than you think, I only listed the ones that are the most obvious (size) I'm actually growing 60+ varieties, I grow and sell the plants at the local herb festivals in the spring. This is very frustrating, a Long Red Slim cayenne that's only 2" long is very frustrating.

o

• Posted by esox07 4, S. Cent Wisc (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 27, 11 at 11:58

Yah, that would be frustrating. 60 varieties is huge. That kind of heat and for soo long is sure to have an impact on the peppers growth. Hopefully, as long as they dont die, they will pick back up when it cools down some.

o

Thing is, the plants are all covered in peppers, especially the cayennes (and the Thai's), funny thing, I have a sweet cayenne from a friend, the fruit on that one is normal size, but not on my hot cayenne. I sure hope it is the heat, I guess I'll know in September when it cools, wish me luck, I don't like these 2 inch long cayennes... that's not a proper cayenne. :-)

o

you can build some sort of Shade canopy for them, using shade cloth which still allows sun to get through just not as intense. if you make it out of PVC its easy to construct and move and take a part. i am sure they plants will thank you with many peppers!

Eric

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here