Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marxxx_gw

Please help!!!!! Brown spots on leaves!!

marxxx
14 years ago

They all started off good, but several of the plants have developed brown spots on the leaves. I am guessing it is NOT bugs, the only ones I see on or near the plants are ants.

Suggestions / advice on treating this would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks,

Mark

Comments (8)

• peps22
    14 years ago

Are those habs? Might need to get some bone meal fertilizer... The leaves have that raised puckered look.

• medcave
    14 years ago

One of the best websites I've found for identifying disease and pest damage is the Chileman's. His photos are on the small side, but if you use Firefox and the Image Zoom add-on, it's easy to blow up the photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chileman.org

• rdback
    14 years ago

Looks like chemical burn to me. I don't see any damage to new growth. Any spraying been going on by anybody? Round-up, weed-n-feed, hose-end sprayer stuff, etc?

Just a thought.

Rick

• pepperdude
    14 years ago

Quite possibly one of those hard to diagnose diseases. Some of the leaves appear to have round black/brown spots with pale centers, very much like a bacterial leaf spot or somesuch other nasty. Try picking off the worst affected leaves, giving a light liquid fertilizer to nurse them along and most importantly only wet the leaves when they will dry quickly. Also, mulching to prevent soil splashing onto the leaves is often recommended.

• marxxx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the ideas!

We don't use any sprays here, other than a little fertilizer. So far we treated with fish emulsion a couple times early in the year, and then used Schultz's Plant/Veggie 10-10-10 twice.

The tomato plants don't seem to be affected, but several types of peppers including habs, sweets, and a few various (non hab) hot varieties. Not all plants are affected, while some are fairly bad, and yet others only mildly.

The weather has been cooler than normal with above average rain. The soil is pretty well drained, and slightly raised from the rest of the yard.

From chileman's link, the closest photo I saw was bacterial leaf spot. I would hope that is not the case as my seeds came from reputable suppliers, and the plants (that seem to be affected) came from a national plant shipper (though this would make sense since most of the affected plants were bought from them... and even more convincing is a friend of mine has a similar if not he same problem and he bought his there to).

Thanks again!!!!
    Mark

• User
    14 years ago

marxxx,

I had a difficult to diagnose question earlier this year. A resident wise man here suggested I take a sample to my local extension. IÂm located north of the 49th so I donÂt have the luxury of local extensions that you folks have. Another member kindly printed my photos and brought them to his extension for a diagnosis.

Cutting to the chase, another member (who seems very very knowledgeable in plant diesesÂ) pegged it shortly before the extension response concurred. Sufice it to say that the Bih Jolokia in question is now thriving and spitting out buds like crazy thanks in part to the extension.

To cut to the chase, visit your local extension for an assessment.

Bill

• matrixman
    14 years ago

Maybe I missed it, What did the your local extension say it was? Bacterial leaf spot?

• Jeremy.F
    11 years ago

When growing peppers, your biggest enemy may be the bacterial spot of pepper, an incredibly destructive disease that causes yellow and brown spots on all parts of your plants and fruit. This eventually leads to defoliation, loss of fruit yield and low quality crops. This disease is especially prevalent in areas with frequent rainfall and high temperatures during growing seasons.

**Diagnosing**

Bacterial spot of pepper can be found on the leaves, stems and fruits of the pepper plant. On the leaves it usually beings as a yellow lesion, small in size. As these get bigger they spread to larger parts of the leaf and the center of the lesion becomes brown and dried, eventually breaking out entirely and leaving a hole. If a leaf or plant has a number of these lesions, they can join together and form long lines of holes or discolored areas. The tips and edge of the leaf then begins to dry and break off, followed by the rest of the leaf. When found on the fruit, these lesions are green and raised. They become brown with scabby centers. Lesions on the stems are darker, almost black, and long.

**Cause**

Bacterial spot of pepper is caused by a bacteria, called Xanthomonas campestris pv. vesicatoria. This bacteria can come from infected seeds, soil or crop residue. Dried seeds can carry this disease for 10 years, and infected soil for six months. Pepper plants can become infected if they suffer a puncture or wound. This can then be spread through water, cultivating techniques, hoeing and transplanting.

**Prevention and Treatment**

To prevent bacterial spot of pepper, keep your fields free of debris, and use pathogen-free transplants and seeds. Rotate your crops so that you are only growing peppers every three to four years. If you have a problem with bacterial spot of pepper, make sure to deep-plow your fields so that the infected debris is buried deep. There are some pesticides that may also be helpful to stop the spread of this bacteria.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spots on pepper plants

Sponsored