Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoenixspice

Please help with pepper disease

phoenixspice
14 years ago

Some kind of disease (or maybe diseases) have started to infect my pepper and tomato plants. The tomatoes seem to have it worse, but the hot peppers (over 20 varieties and 120 plants mostly grown from seed...help!!) are starting to get infected.

At the moment, the only pepper plant that has show significant symptoms is a cubenelle (purchase by accident at a farmers market- it was mixed in with the cayennes!)

When I went to photograph the cayenne in the photo below- I noticed that it had another problem. They look like some sort of eggs. I have never seen this on any of the plants before

Infected tomatoes

Another cubenelle leaf

From internet research, I'm thinking that this is either early blight or septoria or maybe bacterial spot.

I was having a difficult time finding a fungicide that would be safe to use with peppers. Daconil and Ortho Max Garden Disease control are not recommended for use on peppers. I would perfer to use an organic anyway, but was having a difficult time finding an organic fungicide that would treat these problems. Then I ran across Serenade (http://www.serenadegarden.com/) which is supposed to be organic and control a variety of plant diseases.

So, I guess I have a few questions. Firstly, what do you think my peppers and tomatoes have? How should I treat it? Does anyone have any experience with Serenade?

oh- and what about those eggs?

Comments (2)

• ardnek710
    14 years ago

I think it is definitely early blight or septoria (definitetly on the mater).
    I don't see why you couldn't use daconil on peppers (if you can spray it on maters you should be able to spray on peppers), but all daconil does is protect plant foliage that is not infected from getting infected.
    It does not kill anything and is best used preventively before symptoms even show up.

Usually these diseases start from splash up from the soil. They are fungus and are hard to stop once they start.
    I say remove all leaves with any sign of infection, start spraying with daconil and continue on through the season, and try to water without splash back. Either soaker hoses or carefull hosing. Also can use a nice thick mulch (cut grass or plastic etc) to prevent soil from splashing back up on the plants.

Not sure on the eggs, I have seen them before on my tomatoes and peppers but have never had a problem with any possible bug to worry about them. Try google images, that always works for me when I am trying to ID somthing.

kendra

• nc_crn
    14 years ago

...and mulch (or mulch more) next season to help lessen the contamination issues.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH