Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleekit

How I mash

sleekit
9 years ago

This batch is 1/2lb orange habs from the market.

Start by sending them through the food processor or blender. Not too much though. You want it chunky.

Empty into a mason jar and cap with the jar lid (not fermentation lock). Boil the mason jar for 15 min. This should kill everything. Bad or good. Why do I kill the good stuff? Because I add straight LAB. I took a homebrewish approach in that I don't want any outside bacteria in there competing with my LAB.

Once cooled, stir in your LAB and top with salt. Don't be shy. Add a bunch. Cover the top. I like grey celtic sea salt meant for pickling. Extra minerals plus good flavor but kosher salt works too.

Now comes the hard part. Put the fermentation lock on the jar and put it in a dark place for at least 3 weeks. Some say longer is better, but with a good fermentation it should be done in 3 weeks to a month. I've let it go as long as 6 months but didn't notice much of a difference.

You can check on it occasionally to scrape mold off, but there shouldn't be much. If any. Once you're satisfied with the fermentation, you've got the beginning of an amazing sauce. I generally add some vinegar, garlic and a few cracks of black pepper and simmer for a bit. Definitely simmer after on the off chance something bad got in there.

Hope this helps somebody. Cheers!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler