Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chile_freak

another fabulous use for smoked red habaneros

chile_freak
12 years ago

ok so the restaurant was kinda slow tonight, so I came home early. The woman was home so I brought home some shaved ribeye to make us some philly cheese steaks, and because I love peppers on everything in particular smoked red habs, (make the best bbq sauce you ever will eat) I always keep some smoked hab paste around, well tonight when I was making the mayo to put on the hoagies I decided to throw some smoked red hab paste into the processor w/ the egg yolks garlic lemon juice and olive oil, and let me tell you, it was the best damn philly cheese steak I have ever eaten, those red habs have a wonderful fruity aroma and a nice heat, add the smoky flavor and it is down right heavenly. I liked it so much I thought I would post the recipe for anyone that wants to try it out @ home:

CHEF Paul's smoked red hab mayo

2 egg yolks

1 tblsp lemon juice

1/2 tblsp minced garlic

1 tsp spicy brown mustard

2 tblsp smoked red hab paste(im sure any other smoke pepper will work cant wait to try w/ choc habs :)

3/4 cup olive or canola oil(I use olive for everything but that just me)

salt and pepper to taste

hope some of y'all will enjoy this as much as I do

Jamie I thought of you and ur 3 prolific red habs when posting this one

oh ps. to make the red hab paste I just smoke many red habs, then puree them w/ apple cider vinegar and garlic and a dash of brown sugar, this is because I usually use it to make bbq sauce(but thats a long story and there's not enough whiskey in this bar to tell it ;)

Comments (25)

• simsedward
    12 years ago

Culinary genius...sounds great...thanks again for sharing another recipe.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Chile Freak: I got it cut and pasted into a word doc and stored in my pepper recipe folder. It will get a shot in a couple weeks I am guessing. So, now I need some Red Habs. Well, I got a bush of Orange Habs. Will that do. Hmmmm, and that raises another question. Would an Orange Hab turn to red after a while or is it fully ripe at orange. It is a seedling from one of pods from last season and I always picked them when Orange because it was called an Orange Hab.

• chile_freak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

essox,
    the orange habs are ripe @ orange, and reds are different all together, smoked orange habs are delicious too, but they have an earthy muted flavor, where the carribean reds have a beautiful, almost intoxicatingly fruity aroma and flavor, w/ a crisp clean heat that lights up anything u put them in( including your mouth, they are considerably hotter than orange ;)this is the main reason I am so looking forward to tasting the chocolate habs, josh has gone on about the flavor of them, he decribes them much in the way I do the carribean reds, w/ love and adoration ;)

• shoontok
    12 years ago

Yep, Josh loves Orange Habs!

• mbellot
    12 years ago

chile_freak - Do you smoke them yourself? If so, what kind of setup are you running?

I'm pretty good with the meats (ribs, pulled pork, etc) but haven't ventured into veggies too deeply.

• chile_freak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yes I have 2 smokers that I keep in my garage they are both the 2 level charcoal fired smoker/grills I love them i smoke lots of peppers as well as meats(deer,beef,pork,chicken)the best is baby back ribs w/ smoked red hab bbq sauce which of course I also make myslf, by smoking onions tomatoes and red habs, then dry rub and smoke the baby backs also, spare ribs are delicious done this way also I use a mixture of hickory/mesquite/cherry(which is abundant here in nc)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Damnit, Jim! ;-)
    For the record, folks, I can't stand Orange Habs!
    And last year I got spammed with Caribbean Reds which were supposed to be Bhuts.....
    so that's really what soured my experience with the Reds.

That said, the Red Habs were excellent in my "Spray the Rocks" salsa.
    I roasted them on the grill to give a bit of that smoky flavor, too.
    The Red Hab has a cleaner, sweeter, more versatile flavor profile than either the
    Orange Hab or the Chocolate, in my opinion. I love the Chocolate because it is so
    assertive and uniquely aromatic....but I think it's best when it performs solo.
    Otherwise, the aroma tends to overwhelm other peppers/flavors in the dish.
    I can't wait for Paul's professional dissertation on the topic of the Chocolate Hab.

Thanks for this recipe. I'll save it, try it, and report back.

Josh

• biscgolf
    12 years ago

i've been using a cold smoke setup for my hot peppers... what temp are you hitting on yours paul?

• chile_freak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yes josh, it was the chocolate hab discussion I was referring to, I had never heard you mention orange, for the record, if you have orange habs growing take a handful off premature they make a hell of a hot sauce while still green, cactus fruit, or kiwi lime juice garlic and cilantro, I have been using alot of my green orange habs this way, but for those of you who dont care much for orange the flavor changes drasticly, if you smoke um and make hot sauce w/ brown sugar garlic and cider vin, Im not much of a fan of the orange flavor by it self where I will eat the reds, yellows, or the greens by the handful, but when you smoke them they are very tasty, just something about smoked peppers I guess. and no worries as soon as I taste a chocolate hab, Im sure I will think of a thousand uses for it if they taste anywhere near as good as the reds :)

• thenewmidwestchilehead
    12 years ago

Sounds great, Freak. Are you willing to share the bbq sauce recipe with us?

• roper2008
    12 years ago

I wish I could smoke some peppers. It wouldn't be cost effective
    for me to buy a smoker because I don't make large quantities.
    I'm the only one who eats my pepper recipes.

About orange habs, I'm not sure if I like them. Last year I made
    orange habanero jelly and I didn't like the flavor at all. I normally
    make jalapeno jelly. This year I'm going to make powder out of
    them and see if I like it.
    Chilifreak that philly cheese steak sound delish. How do you make
    it into a paste?

• roper2008
    12 years ago

Sorry, I see how you make the paste.

• simsedward
    12 years ago

Roper, you can stil smoke a few peppers on your BBQ using indirect heat and smoking chips. Not quite as good as a smoker, but if you build a small pile of charcoal (even on a small hardware store charcoal grill) and throw some wet wood chips (soaked overnight) on it, it will smoke like crazy. Keep the peppers on the other side of the bbq - away from the direct heat. Keep throwing wet chips on there to get as much smoky flavor as you want. Nice roasted, smoky peppers. Easy.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

When you smoke peppers, do you halve them, dice them, or just leave them whole?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Esox,
    I usually just slice my peppers down the side so that the smoke gets in,
    but I know that others halve their pods for maximum surface saturation.

Josh

• biscgolf
    12 years ago

i have been smoking mine whole with cold smoke for 8 hours or so...

• simsedward
    12 years ago

I just make a slit in mine as well.

• brien_nz
    12 years ago

Roper, I saw a setup for a cheap smoker (haven't tried it yet). You take an opened tin can (with the lid still attached)and punch a hole in the side near the bottom. Slide in a cheap soldering iron, cover with wood chips and close the lid to (to stop air getting in?). This goes in a big clay planter pot (with the cord for the iron coming through the bottom hole. A rack goes on the pot for your peppers and another clay pot upside down on top.
    Brien

• chile_freak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

no set temp, but definately not cold smoking charcoal and soaked wood chunks, i just have gauges on mine that say cool, warm and hot, I usually stay on the upper side of warm

• roper2008
    12 years ago

Thanks sims, I think I will try that.
    Brien, I remember someone posting about the clay pot
    smoker. Pretty interesting.

• biscgolf
    12 years ago

i use an old chest freezer that i flipped on end, knocked a few holes in the bottom, and added shelves to. looks like something from sanford and son's yard but works well.

• tsheets
    12 years ago

Y'all are making my mouth water!! Love it!!

• romy6
    12 years ago

Paul. I need you to move down to Florida immediately. I can have my wife and kids out of the house in no time. I have a ticket waiting for you at the airport! No but thanks for sharing the recipe. I can't wait to try it. Just gotta get me a smoker.

• chile_freak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I dont know Jamie w/ the way ur peppers grow down there thats a pretty tempting offer! ;)

• chile_freak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I dont know Jamie w/ the way ur peppers grow down there thats a pretty tempting offer! ;)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting