Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
squirrels at work

Posted by mingtea z9 Tucson (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 22:01

A rock squirrel moved into the yard this year and has been burying things all over the place (tomatoes are popping up in the weirdest places...). I've only planted Chile tepin, Chile pequin and Thai hots, so what are these? Plant #1 here with pod, grew in a pot I was reserving for a tomato in the fall... Looks mild.

-Ming

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: squirrels at work

This one could be the same? It sprouted in the hot dang sun in the middle of the AZ summer when all the oregano was getting fried!

-Ming

o

Yep, that's a pepper. I'd suspect birds too. They are not sensitive to capsaicin and will eat (and poop) seeds.

Dennis

o

has anyone thought of smearing super hots around the garden to keep squirrels, rabits, and dear away? All my plants are on a deck in containers 10 feet above the ground so knock on wood i don't have that problem.

o

Yes, birds do that too but not since the rock squirrel moved in have I had so many mysterious sprouts in so many places.
So... What I was after was a guess at what those peppers were since they're not varieties I grow :)
Andy, powdered cayenne is recommended for helping dogs from digging... And it worked for us! Not sure about other wildlife though.

-Ming

o

Ming: 1st looks like it may be a Bell. Second one, won't know until a pod is set(mature), but pretty sure it's none of what you listed. Have never grown Tepin, but Thai Hot and Pequin have more slender, smaller leaves and the pods grow upright.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 4:53

o

andyandy,
LOL. I had a big squirrel problem until I caged my tomatoes with remesh/chicken wire units.
Last year I took a bunch of nice red ghosts and hung'em on my Roma plants, and managed to see one squirrel grab one, take a bite, drop it, and jump to the ground and start wiping his muzzle in the dirt/grass for a full five minutes.
Funny as hell. Birds do the most damage though...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here