Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
archernut

Dehydrating hot peppers,

archernut
14 years ago

I have read past messages on this topic. I want to dehydrate several hot peppers to crush into flakes and powder.

My question is: What temperature should I use on my dehydrator? Highest? Lowest? Medium?

I read they are ready to crush when the break in half when folding.

Thanks

Comments (20)

• fiedlermeister
    14 years ago

I do mine about 125 degrees or a little lower. They may take a little longer but retain their color better. I also cut all but the small ones in half to help them dry faster.

• sambo725
    14 years ago

do you grind up the seeds, or take them out?

• fiedlermeister
    14 years ago

I do it both ways. Usually I'm saving seeds so they are removed before the peppers are dried. With the small peppers I often grind them with the seeds ( after I have enough seeds). I save them in glass jars and only grind what I need for a recipe.

• archernut
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you

I am going to try it this weekend. I have some cayenne's that I want to experiment with first. If all goes well, I will dry my habeneros, serranos, and chilis next.

• medcave
    14 years ago

Sounds good!

Cayennes make great dried peppers. I slice them in half lengthwise from one end to the other - except in the middle of the pepper. There I only slice through one side of the pepper. That way, when you unfurl them and place them on the rack (skin side up) they will be butterflied and wide open so they won't try to curl back up. (hope that makes sense)

They'll dry quicker and more evenly that way.

• spiced_ham
    14 years ago

If you do not have a burr grinder, and have too many peppers for a coffee-spice mill, you can usually screw a mason jar onto the threads of a blender's blade collar, replacing the pitcher portion with the jar). Then you can "crush" the peppers quickly and easily. For powder you have to do this and then seive out the fines and repeat.

• nc_crn
    14 years ago

I'm looking forward to making a nice batch of chimayo pepper flakes, myself. (thanks fiedlermeister)

I've not found it to be a good anaheim-type replacement, but it seems to have a wall thinness and brilliant red color that would make it a really nice drying chili.

I've test-dried one pepper and I am very pleased (really good cooked into pizza). This one's going to stay in the garden rotation for years to come. It seems to retain it's touch of heat as well as it's ripe flavor when dry. It's not one of those "tastes like burnt nothing" flavored dry peppers even though it's not packing a lot of heat.

• archernut
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cayennes are in the dehydrator now. I sliced them lengthwise and removed the seeds. My thumb is still on fire under the nail. I haven't seen cayennes this hot before. I do believe next year they will be planted away from the habeneros and serranos. I'm sure that is why they are hotter than normal. This might be interesting when I go to use the flakes for cooking.
    My serranos are loaded, but are taking their time turning red.

• baygrower
    14 years ago

I have found same temps as FIEDLERMEISTER give me best color as well

I dehydrate these green japs and roasted numex joe parker for comp green chile cooks.
    If i dehydrate japs these at 130 degree and above they get dark and taste composty

Some anchos

{{gwi:1195706}}

{{gwi:1195708}}

Hydrated for a bbq sauce

{{gwi:1195710}}

Took this pic of my sealed peppers in february.About 40 percent is Paprika.Can not beat fresh toasted and ground for color and flavor

{{gwi:1195711}}

• fiedlermeister
    14 years ago

Nice looking results!

john

• baygrower
    14 years ago

Thanks John.Definetly be interested in trying some seeds in future.

• brien_nz
    14 years ago

When I deydrate my peppers (serrano, rocoto,jalapeno) and grind them in my rotating blade spice grinder, I get pepper powder, which is fine (pun intended)! However for some purposes pepper flakes are better. How do I get these? Do I need a burr grinder?
    Brien

• fiedlermeister
    14 years ago

baygrower

Contact me this winter.

john

• tsheets
    14 years ago

"However for some purposes pepper flakes are better. How do I get these? Do I need a burr grinder?"

That would probably give you a more consistent grind. But, if I want flakes, I rough chop by hand so the grinder more manageable sized chunks to work with, and just bump it (quick short pulses) until they're the size I want. You do end up with some powder and some larger chunks, but, works well enough for my needs.

• baygrower
    14 years ago

Thanks John.I have the room for some of your more exotic varities.

this years pepper patch

june 1st

july 1st

july 31

110 this year.grew 164 last year
    japs on right joe parker left

• fiedlermeister
    14 years ago

I'm jealous of all the space you have. I have a fantasy of having room to grow out all the varieties I own in one go. Maybe someday.

john

• baygrower
    14 years ago

Thanks John.Should be interesting to see some of your seeds grow in this plot.Full sun and i have the compost,fertilizer water ratios pretty much nailed....

ALEX

• nc_crn
    14 years ago

Currently drying a selection of Chimayo (red + red/green) and "Crunch Sweet Orange" for a flake/powder dry rub...

...wish i had bayg's setup, though...heheh...

Into the oven with this lot.

• baygrower
    14 years ago

Those are beauties nc-crn.I am 2 weeks minimum from any red peppers....

I am very fortunate to have a sister who competes in KCBS(BBQ) and CASI(CHILE) comps and her winnings have allowed me to expand the pepper operation.

Wonderful feeling to know peppers she uses in rubs or chiles i have grown for her...she will not use storebought paprika,chipotles,green chiles etc. anymore.

Another plus is my mom is very active in the garden(her dad owned a farm and a couple grocers markets)and is a wealth of old school knowledge...

Sponsored