Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phildeez_gw

Aleppo growers?

Phildeez
10 years ago

Anyone else out there appreciating this strain?

This pepper is fast becoming my favorite medium hot strain, yet I never hear/read anything about it. Originally from a Mediterranean climate similar to mine in central California, they produce very well in heat. This year I have three going and they are all setting very nice sized pods with no sunburn whatsoever. Serrano, jalapeno, HHW, etc that are not shaded by foliage will tend to burn in the intense afternoon sun here but these are more resilient, maybe due to the thinner walls.

I have not tried them green but when ripe they are extremely sweet with a nice even heat, not as slow as a hab but not as instantaneous and in-ur-face as a jalapeno.

Comments (23)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Hi Phildeez, Seems like a nice mild pepper. Would you be willing to trade or SASBE for some seeds? I would not mind trying these in the 2014 season. Maybe I can join the group to appreciate these peppers.

Mark

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Same here. I'd love to try them.
    Pam

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mark and Pam, I'm always happy to share the wealth! I'd love to trade or anyone who wants some is more than welcome. I had 100% germination with my seeds from last year, of which I still have a fair amount in the fridge. Although they were not bloom bagged or anything so hybrids are possible. None of the three I kept are hybrids, however.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

hey, I'd love some seeds. I'll send you some of what I have, but I don't have anything rare.

next year I intend to have as many varieties as possible, and it would be nice to have something that's somewhat rare.

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

I thought my Aleppo had both died.
    One came back.
    Pods aren't quite ripe yet.
    Still not red enough.
    Still tastes green pepperish.
    Only the center is hot right now.

Plant is very productive so far.
    It had stopped budding but now seems to be growing more buds.
    Maybe it could only support the pods it has on it now and since they are days from being ripe it is budding again.
    Not as heavy as before but still a lot of buds.

I should have a load of seeds in a couple weeks.

I already have a lot of seeds for Aleppo 36.
    It's a long skinny pod.Not as big or blocky.

The Aleppo 35's or 37's(I forget right now) died.

From what I've read.Aleppo is a City in Syria,Thus the name.
    It's called Halaby also and pul biber in Turkey.

Edit:
    I just picked some pods and cleaned them.
    PM me in a week if you want to trade.They have to dry for shipping.

I only grow NON BELL peppers,NOTHING ELSE.
    Will not trade for anything else.

IF the seeds are in #'s enough I can do a couple SASBE offers.
    I only picked the ripe ones this evening.10 or so of the smaller pods.
    I have a dozen more that will be ripe in a day or so.
    They are red but I like them to be on the plant for a while after they look ripe.

This post was edited by smokemaster_2007 on Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 23:19

• bwaynef
    10 years ago

Count me among the folks who'd be interested in some of these seeds. I'd prefer to trade with you, unless I don't have anything you're interested in. Can I tempt you with some Heirloom Tomato seeds? My pepper selection is rather pedestrian.

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have some nice mature pods that I'll be picking soon from the original plant I got a few years ago. Some heirloom tomatoes would be fine, happy to share some seeds!

Smoke, I'd love to trade for the genoes that you have and make some comparisons. The two that I have in a raised bed are producing more slender pods that are larger overall but I attribute that to the root space.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Phil, great looking pods.
    Looks like a Pepperoncini...but with heat :-)

Josh

• embee4488
    10 years ago

I live in Florida and make a couple of Syrian dishes that require Aleppo peppers. I would LOVE to grow my own, and if you can think of a pepper that we can purchase in our area, I will get seeds for you to trade. I doubt I have anything special to offer you, as I grown the ordinary peppers that are readily available.
    I would also gladly pay you for seeds! Please let me know how which way works for you.
    Thanks!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Posted by greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 12:50

Phil, great looking pods.
    Looks like a Pepperoncini...but with heat :-)

Josh
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Josh .... that is exactly what I was thinking .Now I see your post. But my RED pepperoncinis had some decent heat.

Probably they are close cousins. LOL

This post was edited by seysonn on Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 4:35

• mspeppajo
    10 years ago

I would be interested too... Just let me know!

Jo

• roper2008
    10 years ago

To me, it looks larger than a pepperoncini.

• PepperJB77
    10 years ago

I'm searching for Aleppo 37 seeds, can anyone help. Thanks

• seysonn
    10 years ago

You may also consider these:

Greek or Italian pepperoncini
    Spanish Padron (hot when matures)
    Japanese Shishito

They looks very similar. Padrone can be "HOT or NOT" .
    I am going to grow pepperoncini and shishito coming season. I like them for fresh eating, grilling and pickling.

• ronnyb123
    10 years ago

Count me in too if you have extra to spare. I have plenty of varieties to trade.

• ExplorerGirl
    10 years ago

Hi There, if anyone has any Aleppo seeds left they would be willing to share please let me know. I would like to grow this to make paprika.
    Thanks!

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

My first 2 Aleppo pods ripening. Lots of flowers so Im hoping this is a good producer. I will try 1 out in a day or so and save the seeds.

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Interesting. Never grew this one. Looks good though!

Stoney

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Thanks. They should be a little bit bigger, but sometimes the first ones are smaller. I believe this is Halaby Aleppo from Syria.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Ok.. so I decided to cut into the first one.

Sweet, but has a good bite, maybe 10-15,000 scoville. Sort of like a overripe bell with heat.
    You defiantly feel it on the lips not the back of the throat.

No seeds though, not even 1. That was disappointing.

I wonder if this is one of those varieties that have few seeds or maybe just this first one had none.

• User
    9 years ago

I'm growing three PI 181864 (Aleppo 37) plants this year, one at my home and two at a friends farm.

No buds yet but I should have seeds to share by the end of the season as well.

I came across an interesting National Geographic article a few weeks ago regarding the Aleppo pepper. Apparently the Syrian conflict has created a worldwide shortage.

An interesting read if you have a few minutes.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: How the Syrian Conflict Affects Your Spice Rack

• smokemaster_2007
    9 years ago

I have some Aleppo and lots of Aleppo 36 for trade...or?
    E mail me.

I only grow Peppers(non bell,sweet or hot),no other vegetable.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Thanks smoke. I probally will take you up on that later. I will have tons of stuff for trade. Hopefully I will have these seeds too.

Thanks