Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bjdurham_gw

Green Bhut Jolokia flavor?

Tiarella
10 years ago

I have buyer's remorse for not buying a pint basket of green Bhut Jolokia at a nearby farm stand yesterday. They also had Chinese 5 color.

I thought the Bhuts though green would still be quite hot, but checking a post here, I read they are mild.

Are they actually mild, and what would be a good use for green ones?

Comments (4)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

I've had green Bhuts that had little to no heat then some that had quite a bit of heat, depends on how close the green were to changing to orange before red.

I prefer the ripe flavor of a Bhut over green, they are not like a jalapeno where it's good green and better red.

Mark

• mbellot
    10 years ago

IMHO you made a wise choice.

The ones I've had were not very hot and had a very woody texture and flavor. Not pleasant at all.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Wise choice. I don't know why anyone would pick a green superhot, but I see folks doing it all over facebook. Cynically, I think a lot of them are harvesting seeds like fools....

Green Bhuts have a slightly more acidic flavor than, say, a Jalapeno, but nothing to write home about. And as the others mentioned, variable heat. You could always roast the green pod, which will make the flavor slightly more complex.

Josh

• rodnebridges
    10 years ago

As I recently learned...Booo on the green superhots !! May as well eat a marshmallow !! :)