Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No peppers, only foliage in my 'Big Bertha' Bell pepper plant

Posted by sumbul (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 4, 06 at 22:21

HI

I planted Big Bertha Bell about a month ago, the plant grew very well. I Ferttilized with a low release plant/vegetable food. My plant has become about 2.5 ft. I have lots of foliage and no peppers at all. I get lots of flowers which just drop off without producing ant peppers, can anybody help me understand what to do.

Please help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No peppers, only foliage in my 'Big Bertha' Bell pepper plant

I too have 12 pepper fish plants that are growing well but no peppers.
they are 4 months old.
my other pepper plants are doing well and producing peppers so i am thinking time will solve all my worries.

shayne

o

I read some of the emails on this forum yesterday and was thinking may be I HAVE over fertilized my pepper. How do I confirm if my peppers are overfertilized and Do i need to change the potting soil. Just FYI: i USED A 17-17-17 slow release fertilizer.

o

• Posted by byron 4a/5b NH (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 5, 06 at 14:05

Blossom Drop

Here is a link that might be useful: Blossom Drop

o

Byron, did you forget this is the pepper forum or are you saying that the causes of blossom drop for peppers are the same as for tomatoes?

I have 1.5 years experience with peppers and over 35 years experience with tomatoes. Maybe, for people like me, there should be a short list of cultural differences to memorize.

o
RE: No peppers, v Tomatoes

Wed, Jul 5, 06 at 14:59

dilbert

Blossom drop/Blossom end rot affects ALL fruiting veggies, fruiting as defined that the seeds are in the part that you eat, Tomatoes, pepper, eggplant, squash, cukes, watermelon, beans, peas, etc.

Tomatoes, peppers and eggplant share about 98% of the same insects and diseases. They are also self fertile.

Blossom end rot shows up a little different on peppers, than on tomatoes.

Peppers like plant outs about 10 degrees warmer than tomatoes.

You can't use Daconil on peppers after pod set (???) I dunno..

hth

o
RE: RE: No peppers, only foliage in my 'Big Bertha' Bell pepper p

"Do i need to change the potting soil."

If the plants are potted in soilless mix, you should use a fertilizer that includes substantial amounts of calcium, magnesium and sulfur.

I use http://www.hydro-gardens.com/10822.htm which was designed for hydroponic use, but works well on plants potted in soilless mix. However, note that this is a revised formulation that requires addition of epsom salts.

o

Dilbert: I didnt understand your solution cos I dont know what "soilless mix" is. I grew my plant originally in potting soil+cow manure+top soil.

Is there a simple fix for my problem. I am a first time gardener and am very scared to over/under fertilize. Can i add any non chemical stuff to my plant.

o

"I dont know what "soilless mix" is"

Soiless mix is potting soil that contains no dirt from the ground. Typical ingredients are peatmoss, pearlite, vermiculite, composted bark, coir, etc.

Getting back to your problem, you never said what part of the country you are from. My bell peppers are just beggining to form, whereas my Mariachi, Banana Bill, and Bulgarian Carrot are almost ready to pick. If you live in zone 5 or less, you probably should do nothing.

o

Im from Connecticut. I dont know what zone would that be. Based on my area, do you have any suggestions? I really appreciate your input.

o

I am in Ohio and planted my bell peppers around may 5th they are just now showing small peppers. sumbul since you are in conneticut the season will take longer I would guees. Having your plants so tall they are doing ok I think you just need to wait A LITTLE LONGER. I dont remember where I saw the Zone listing but I believe you could find it on this page under esources or ask the expert. Good Luck

o

Mon, Jul 10, 06 at 23:03

sumbul

Southern NH and Mass are Zone 5a/5B

Western Mass/Conn in the higher elevations is still Zone 5.

Eastern Conn and Mystic is about Zone 6

o

Too much watering is the problem. Pepper plants with a lot of watering help growing leaves and blossom and stop producing fruit. Just water little at atime (once a week not too much) YOU WILL SEE THE RESULT.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here