Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sumbul_gw

No peppers, only foliage in my 'Big Bertha' Bell pepper plant

sumbul
17 years ago

HI

I planted Big Bertha Bell about a month ago, the plant grew very well. I Ferttilized with a low release plant/vegetable food. My plant has become about 2.5 ft. I have lots of foliage and no peppers at all. I get lots of flowers which just drop off without producing ant peppers, can anybody help me understand what to do.

Please help

Comments (12)

• wayassfasterthanyou
    17 years ago

I too have 12 pepper fish plants that are growing well but no peppers.
    they are 4 months old.
    my other pepper plants are doing well and producing peppers so i am thinking time will solve all my worries.

shayne

• sumbul
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I read some of the emails on this forum yesterday and was thinking may be I HAVE over fertilized my pepper. How do I confirm if my peppers are overfertilized and Do i need to change the potting soil. Just FYI: i USED A 17-17-17 slow release fertilizer.

• byron
    17 years ago

Blossom Drop

Here is a link that might be useful: Blossom Drop

• dilbert
    17 years ago

Byron, did you forget this is the pepper forum or are you saying that the causes of blossom drop for peppers are the same as for tomatoes?

I have 1.5 years experience with peppers and over 35 years experience with tomatoes. Maybe, for people like me, there should be a short list of cultural differences to memorize.

• byron
    17 years ago

dilbert

Blossom drop/Blossom end rot affects ALL fruiting veggies, fruiting as defined that the seeds are in the part that you eat, Tomatoes, pepper, eggplant, squash, cukes, watermelon, beans, peas, etc.

Tomatoes, peppers and eggplant share about 98% of the same insects and diseases. They are also self fertile.

Blossom end rot shows up a little different on peppers, than on tomatoes.

Peppers like plant outs about 10 degrees warmer than tomatoes.

You can't use Daconil on peppers after pod set (???) I dunno..

hth

• dilbert
    17 years ago

"Do i need to change the potting soil."

If the plants are potted in soilless mix, you should use a fertilizer that includes substantial amounts of calcium, magnesium and sulfur.

I use http://www.hydro-gardens.com/10822.htm which was designed for hydroponic use, but works well on plants potted in soilless mix. However, note that this is a revised formulation that requires addition of epsom salts.

• sumbul
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dilbert: I didnt understand your solution cos I dont know what "soilless mix" is. I grew my plant originally in potting soil+cow manure+top soil.

Is there a simple fix for my problem. I am a first time gardener and am very scared to over/under fertilize. Can i add any non chemical stuff to my plant.

• dilbert
    17 years ago

"I dont know what "soilless mix" is"

Soiless mix is potting soil that contains no dirt from the ground. Typical ingredients are peatmoss, pearlite, vermiculite, composted bark, coir, etc.

Getting back to your problem, you never said what part of the country you are from. My bell peppers are just beggining to form, whereas my Mariachi, Banana Bill, and Bulgarian Carrot are almost ready to pick. If you live in zone 5 or less, you probably should do nothing.

• sumbul
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Im from Connecticut. I dont know what zone would that be. Based on my area, do you have any suggestions? I really appreciate your input.

• michaelnohio
    17 years ago

I am in Ohio and planted my bell peppers around may 5th they are just now showing small peppers. sumbul since you are in conneticut the season will take longer I would guees. Having your plants so tall they are doing ok I think you just need to wait A LITTLE LONGER. I dont remember where I saw the Zone listing but I believe you could find it on this page under esources or ask the expert. Good Luck

• byron
    17 years ago

sumbul

Southern NH and Mass are Zone 5a/5B

Western Mass/Conn in the higher elevations is still Zone 5.

Eastern Conn and Mystic is about Zone 6

• kmursel_att_net
    12 years ago

Too much watering is the problem. Pepper plants with a lot of watering help growing leaves and blossom and stop producing fruit. Just water little at atime (once a week not too much) YOU WILL SEE THE RESULT.

Sponsored