Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about pods in fridge

Posted by stoneys_fatali 9b Duarte,CA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 22:22

Can they still be dried and will the seeds germinate?
Just want to make sure the cold didn't kill the germination chances.

Stoney

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about pods in fridge

how cold is your fridge?

o

It's set at 39.

Stoney

o

• Posted by jutsFL 9b (Orlando) (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 23:37

The cold is perfect, just not freezing. The fridge will help because it is nice and DRY. Freezing would be bad though if the seeds weren't properly dehydrated first, as it would rupture the cell membranes from expansion. So long as they are dried correctly, I think the freezer is even an OK option (I think). Overall, I don't believe that you will have any issues from the fridge - but it would be beneficial to dry the seeds beforehand.

...side note, did you get the savina's?

Jay

o

Driving home from work now Jay. Hopefully I have a gift waiting for me :-)

Stoney

o

Not saying you still can't get them to germinate, but for best chance, they should go through a "process."

That is properly drying out the seeds. For higher % of viability, choose fully ripened, mature pods. Take those pods(without refrigeration and split in half. Either remove seeds or leave them connected to placenta. Place on paper plate and set at room temp in open air on kitchen counter et al for a good couple weeks. After that, store in a cool, dry, dark place. Fridge or freezer is fine at this point, but there's still a chance of condensation when doing so.

Myself, I put in envelopes or small ziplocs and stash in a tin.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 20:41

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here