Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orekoc

New here, saying Hi!

Orekoc
9 years ago

Hello all,

I joined the other day and already posted in two threads. Thought I should introduce myself a bit.

I haven't gardened in 5 years or more, but I enjoy it. Not sure if I'm really a ChilliHead or not, but I can take some heat.

I'm trying to get my list down to manageable for what I will have room for and time for, for next year. I'll be asking about some of the places before I place orders. I've done some searching here already, but usually just find that someone has ordered from a place, but no input on reliability, quality of seeds, etc. I have figured out a couple of places I won't order from based on reading some of the threads here.

I'm in zone 7 in the Willamette Valley in Oregon. Just in case you're wondering "Willamette" is pronounced Will-am-et and "Oregon" is pronounced Or-y-gun. The Y is for the long sounding e. And yes, we are sensitive about that here.

I've nothing to trade this year, but should have some next year.

Thanks!

Comments (30)

• scgreenthumb1987
    9 years ago

Welcome. You'd be surprised at the generosity you will find here. Many of us give seeds freely only asking that you pay it forward.

• byron_pdx
    9 years ago

Welcome Orekoc!

I'm new to posting in peppers, but not new to gardenweb.

I'm excited to post that I got my first red tepin today! The heat wilted my plants pretty good, but I've watered them and suspect they'll bounce back quickly.

Now if my Peruvian Serlano would hurry and fatten up its fruits!

p.s. Thanks romy6 for getting me started!

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Yeah, welcome.

Don't think about placing orders. Think about participating in the seed "swaps" later in the year. We regularly dump hundreds of dangerous seeds on unsuspecting newbies.

Be warned.

Dennis

• scgreenthumb1987
    9 years ago

Plus one on that dennis.....invest in milk and the good toilet paper

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

LOL... ain't that the truth. ")

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Welcome orekoc. Learn a little, teach a little, sweat a lot!

Kevin

• kentishman
    9 years ago

Welcome from South Carolina!

• scgreenthumb1987
    9 years ago

Where at in sc dude.... near Florence here

• flipback23
    9 years ago

Welcome yes very generous people here when it comes to info and seeds. I hoping to save my first seeds this year to pay forward come seed swap time.

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Welcome from Southern Cal!

Stoney

• Orekoc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone.

I'll plan for the seed swap. Hmmmm, I have some tomato seeds from a few years back, maybe I can swap that. I'll have to do some germination tests on them and see if they are still good.

Well, I'm stocking up on the TP. I'll have to make room in the freezer for it.

• Orekoc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bryon,

Nice looking Tepin there.

• byron_pdx
    9 years ago

Thanks, Orekoc!

I'm growing several other peppers (in pots) with along the tepin:

Aji Limon
    Peruvian Serlano
    Florida wild
    Datil
    Chocolate Habenero (lagging behind the rest)
    NuMex Twilight
    Yellow Primo
    Brain Strain
    Carolina Reaper

Some superhots and some interesting ones. All fun to watch grow!

--Byron.

• Orekoc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Bryon,

Nice looking list. I plan to try several on your list next year. By any chance is the PDX, meaning Portland Oregon? If so, I'm south of you in Salem.

Orekoc

• scgreenthumb1987
    9 years ago

Cayenne
    Banana
    Bell
    Red habanero
    Orange habanero
    Black naga
    Yellow fatali
    Peter pepper
    St peter
    Red bhut
    Chocolate bhut
    Peach bhut
    Moruga
    Chocolate scorpion
    Birdseye
    Cow horn
    7 pot Jonah
    Serrano
    Naga morich
    Malaysian Goronong
    Red devils tongue
    Naga viper
    Carolina reaper
    Hot cherry
    Church bells
    And many accidentally crosses lol.

And have about 15 more varieties just got in from an Australian buddy. I'm so ready for the swaps to start. All this talk of it has me antsy

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Welcome, neighbor. I am up a bit north in Washington. Well, we are sensitive about it too, it is named after George Washington, not Washington DC. hehe

• Orekoc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow Greenthumb, that is quite the list. Several on your list are on mine too. I'll see what I can manage to grow next year. I think I may have put my foot in it. I just posted a long answer about the supposed legal issues around Carolina Reaper in the Joe legit thread. And this was before my glass of wine! Can't blame it on the alchool.

Seysonn, I sent you an e-mail through this site.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Howdy!

Josh

• byron_pdx
    9 years ago

Orekoc,

Yes, the PDX in my login is Stumptown. And hi to seysonn to the north and Josh to the south!

My primary outdoor passion is garlic, and I grew about a dozen varieties this year (no Elephant garlic, blech!) So when it comes time to trade, I hope that'll be useful currency. :)

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Currency is appreciated but not required. No one is turned away for lack of seeds. Tomatoes are often traded along with peppers. And I for one wouldn't mind getting some good garlic seeds...

Dennis

• Orekoc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dennis, thanks for telling me that. I'll still feel a bit guilty about it, but I'll try to get over it.

Seysonn, another PNWer, great. You'll have to tell me all about your growing experiences out here. Oh, I was born in Ellensburg WA, in case you wanted to know, moved when I was 2 weeks old though, so I don't remember it.

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Welcome from here in the ole FL!

...did somebody mention a swap already ;)

• pfloyd826
    9 years ago

Garlic seeds sound good to me as well. I spent way too much on garlic seeds and they didn't turn out all that great. I'd like to try again, but it was too expensive.

I'll have peppers, tomatoes, and if people are interested, 6 kinds of hops (for beer). I'm in the other Washington (DC), but I don't mind sharing the name.

• Bill_Missy
    9 years ago

Welcome from Louisiana. You will have fun, learn a lot from these great guys and gals on this site. This is my "go to" site for anything pepper related. From pots, to soil, to seeds, to friendship to.... and to...

• Orekoc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Again, everyone, thannks for the warm welcomes.

Bill, I was wondering if there were other places on the web to read, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of drama here and I like that. I've had enough drama.

• scott123456
    9 years ago

Welcome from ohio. Let me know when your ready for some seeds, a lot of generous folks on here helped me out when I was just starting and I would be happy to pay it forward.

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

Welcome fellow Oregonian, I dont live there anymore but my heart will always be there. Don't ya just love when people say Oh-ree-gone....lmao! Willamette valley is amazing! I'm over due for a visit to see family.

I am pretty new to this site as well and I can only say positive things about the people and knowledge you will find in the hot pepper forum.

dj

• scott123456
    9 years ago

HAHA here in Ohio we pronounce it ORA-GONE. I had a friend awhile back move to Oregon. One of the first things out of his mouth when I talked to him again was that we say it wrong lol. I think I remember him saying itâÂÂs pronounced "organ" like the instrument or something like that.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Seysonn, another PNWer, great. You'll have to tell me all about your growing experiences out here.
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Orekoc,

Got your email. I just replied. Need your Mailing address. No need for SASE.

I am in Sammamish, WA. Pretty much like Portland, OR, always a few degrees cooler. We just don't get real warm weather. This past 2 weeks was an exception and highly welcomed. Now we are back to normal.
    BTW: I am a new transplant here, not a longtime resident or native. It is a challenge to grow peppers. My medium hot peppers have no pods yet. But sweet/mild ones are doing ok.

here is a container of few mild peppers.

• Orekoc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Seysonn - I think growing in pots should help; our soil out here just doesn't warm up all that fast and I think peppers need a warm soil to really do well.

@scott123456 - Can I call you Six? Yeah, if you ever make it to the West Coast, try to say Oregon correctively, ya won't sound like such a noob. 3 syllables, Or Y Gun, the gon sounds the same as in Wagon, unless you say Wagone? Lesson over for the day. Man I hope you can take some teasing. I'm not sure when to put up my dream list. Do I just put it in my profile? Start a thread, what? I don't want to make a giant faux pas just starting out here.

@djoy - Thanks for the welcome and you'll be back. Most Oregonians can't stay away forever.

@jutsFL - Well, I can't swap this year, I can only beg!

@Greenman28 - Howdy!

Sponsored