Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when you grow a lot of plants, you're gonna get a few freaks

Posted by judo_and_peppers Tampa FL (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 22:36

case and point, this guy.

yes, that stem has decided to start growing upside down, and it's not the only one to do so. the main stem (not pictured) is substantially thicker than any other first year plant.

each node has a bazillion buds on it, but unlike most of my mini farm it has yet to set a pod.

it's one of the many plants that the neighbors' cats pulled the tags out of, so I have no idea what it is.

edit: I guess the real question is, in my garden of limited space, is it worth trying to see if it'll grow out of it, or should I just dumpster it? the whiteflies are back, so I won't be giving it away.

This post was edited by judo_and_peppers on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 23:47

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when you grow a lot of plants, you're gonna get a few freaks

Let it grow, or just clip off that portion.

By the way, any of those hybrid Yellow Ghost X Thai growing?

Josh

o

Looks to me like you gots a C.chinense crossed with a garter snake.

Can I have some snake seeds (assuming it doesn't crawl off before ripe)?

P.S. Could be a diploid.

P.P.S. I keep telling people that these weird Fuzzy Plaid 7 Bhut Doughlah hybrids aren't stable. So how far are we from the Little Shop of Horrors?

o

I hate to see healthy plants get pulled. I say keep it. Look at the pods, keep the seeds. Give us a chance to see what it is.

Who knows, it could be the next big chili everyone wants.

o

I'll keep it going for a bit to see what happens. but it'll be hard to send out seeds if I never get pods. really what's going on is I've come to realize I have 15 more plants than I can reasonably fit in my yard once they're all in their final pots (which is long overdue), and I'm trying to figure out which ones I'm gonna have to get rid of or find a new location for. the weird ones that don't produce pods are obvious candidates for the dumpster.

Josh, unfortunately I couldn't get any to germinate. oh well. can't win them all. I still appreciate the effort.

o

I'll have to do a test germination to see if the seeds sprout.
I still have lots of dried pods on the table...been throwing them into my bowls of ramen soup.

Josh

o

A phenomenon called fasciation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here