Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shoontok

Orange Habanero vs. Carribean Red

shoontok
12 years ago

Howdy all

I just wanted to hear some opinion on what ya all think is the better pepper to grow and eat. Factors like taste, heat, ease or difficulty in growing, productivity level, etc. are all considered.

Jim

Comments (18)

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

RED RED RED RED RED RED RED
    hope my answer is clear, orange are really good dont get me wrong I am growing six of them after all, but red habs are one of my favorite peppers, they have an almost intoxicating fuity aroma and flavor and are much hotter than the oranges, and they also make the best barbeque sauce ever in my opinion(when they are smoked that is);)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Great question, Jim... ;-)

The Red Hab wins hands down. Orange Habs have a filthy, trash sort of flavor in my opinion.
    The Red Hab is smoother, with better color and shape, a less alarming aroma, and much better heat.

Josh

• biscgolf
    12 years ago

gotta go with the rest of the group and say red. datils, fatalii's etc are better representatives of non-red hots than orange habs.

taste- red by a mile
    heat- red is hotter
    ease of growth- they're both peppers therefore both easy to grow
    productivity- similar although i find the orange tend to turn black sometimes from the inside thereby reducing their productivity by virtue of the waste

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

AND THE WINNER IS:
    {{gwi:1196068}}

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

I think the orange ones look cool too but all the photos of ripe red habaneros really look great. They look like candy.

• romy6
    12 years ago

RED BABY!

• Spongey600
    12 years ago

I have a question, i just bought a "Red HAbanero" from Home depot yesterday, is this the same as the "carribean red"? i sure do hope so!

• romy6
    12 years ago

I would say no but it's hard to tell the difference for me! Still a good butt burner. I have a red savina that looks just like my carribean red and the only way I can tell them apart is by eating one!Red savina is currently the hottest pepper i have ever grown.

• Spongey600
    12 years ago

thanks! well its was 1.99 and is about 18" tall and has about 5-10 flower buds growing so i could not turn it down! HAHA my GF says i have an addiction! LOL i tell her "yes, it might be, but rememebr my motocycle racing cost me 500+ per month" so peppers are lots cheaper

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

addiction, who me? Hi my name is Paul and Im a pepper growaholic. "when did you know you had a problem" well I was hanging around the garden center @ homey depote and I was like hey man u got a red hab, come on man just one hab man thats all I need just one plant, come on man I'll even take one of them beat up leggy ones, just one more plant, then I'll have enough, just one more plant, then I'll quit!

• Spongey600
    12 years ago

HAHAHA@ PAul. my real addiction is motocycle racing! i drop 5-600/month on it but there is not better rush than dragging knee in a turn at 100+mph! so i try to satisfy the euphoric feeling by eating HOT foods!

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

actually, spongey I was really poking fun @ myself as well, My woman says the same thing all you ever talk about is cooking and hot peppers, every time im in a garden center or at the farmers market I look for varities I dont have, every time we go into a ethnic grocery store I look for dried or fresh chiles I dont have, and IM now on my 5th germination project of the year w/ already 136 plants after the last round of transplants was hardened off. ADDICTION, probably, INSANE, maybe a bit but when I see a bunch of ripe pods in the chile patches or on one of the container plants,or when I bite into a fresh pepper from my own bush, it suddenly makes all the fuss, time attention and worry all worth while, I work 70+ hours a week as a chef and spend probably another 15 or so gardening, so yes I guess maybe she has a little right to complain, but just a little;) In case you are wondering how I have anytime for this forum or anything else, the answer is I dont sleep much
    ;)

• Spongey600
    12 years ago

WOW PAul, you do have a problem! there is not emough time in a day! LOL i hear ya, one day i will have a yard to play in but for now my 31 potted plants will do! LOL all on my balcony!

Eric

• shoontok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Addiction? I prefer the word "Passion" maybe Obsession lol.

Im guilty too, i went from about 6 varieties last year and total of about 30 plants to 26 varieties "at last count" lol, and have 117 plants growing at my residence and another 40 in my bro's garden. I must of germinated and raised close to 250 seedlings over the winter under flourescent lighting all over my apt. I gave lots away to friends and co-workers.

Yep, i have dreams of getting my own house and property in the near future. And ya know what ill be looking at right away is..... (How many pepper plants will i be able to grow here?) lol.

And yes i too often wander into the garden section of home depot and walmart just to see if there is any varieties i dont have, lol. And trading seeds with folks from all over the country and researching seed websites! ETC!

Well, back to the original topic... The actual reason i posted this is cause im actually thinking of eliminating the Orange Hab from my future grow ops. I know this sounds crazy, us peppergrowaholics usually add more types, not take them away, lol.

Being that the Carribean Red seems to have same growth habits, productivity, pod size, heat level, im thinking one of these plants must go!

I think ya all are right that Carribean tastes much better, with a fruity sweet taste and the Orange Hab does have a citrus, trash like, chemical like taste that Josh described! ;)

I originally grew the Habs just for the heat factor to kick up my cooking, now im going for Flavor in conjunction with the heat :)

Thx all for your feedback and helping me make a decision
    Jim

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

Actually in my experience the reds are also a little bigger, in addition to being hotter and having better aroma and flavor, and they can run faster, jump higher, swim farther, stop bullets w/ their teeth ;)

• tsheets
    12 years ago

I'm saving to buy a different house in the next couple years...one of the main reasons is I don't have much garden space, and what I do have is shaded by neighbors' trees most of the day. If it weren't for the huge trees surrounding me on 3 sides, I wouldn't have to mow, but, I'd have a lot of weeding / tilling to do. ;-)

I'm gonna have to try Carribean reds next year! Scotch Bonnets and Chocolate Habs were my new additions this year.

• bunnyman
    12 years ago

I dunno... I like my orange Burpee habs better then the Red Savina. My first year growing Carribean Red and they have not ripened yet. Had a red "double hab" a couple years back that had a particular flavor I'm now searching for.

I was diappointed by the Red Savina.. all heat and no remarkable flavor. Kept one potted RS because it makes a huge healthy houseplant. I want to get busy and see if I can make something with the unripe RS pods... hopefully they have more flavor green.

Finding an amazing amount of flavor variation in habeneras. A pot of chili warming right now that was made with fresh orange habs/cayenne/jalapeno... no off flavors or scents I can detect... in fact pretty darn good tasting.

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

All chile peppers get there flavor from a special blend of capsaicinoids particular to each type of chile, and each person experiences that mix just a little differently, when Josh says that orange habs have a trashy flavor, to him that blend of capsaicinoids is not pleasant, one mans earthy, is another mans trashy, ya know, another example u say that red savinas do not have any flavor just heat, it may be that u can not taste the flavor through the heat which is the case w/ a lot of people and chiles of all sorts, I on the other hand quite enjoy the taste of red savina, of course the carribean red is one of my favorites,because it has a very decent amount of heat, but it also has a wonderful fruity aroma and a taste that combines fruity, citrusy, and that unmistakable pepper flavor with a decent amount of heat and are fantastic, fresh,roasted, sauteed, grilled, smoked, turned into hot sauce, or salsa, I fact the only way I dont like carribean reds is in my eyes ;) but no matter what any of us say, if orange habs taste good to you grow 50 of them, the sky is the limit, as for me I am growing several of them myself, cuz even though I dont enjoy them as well as the reds fresh they still work fine in cooking and are delightful smoked in a hot sauce w/ garlic, cider vinegar and brown sugar!However, I am waiting for the 3 chocolate habs they were one of the few seeds that I,ve planted this year(and believe me that is quite a few) that had a 100% germination and survival rate, thats gotta be some kind of sign right;)
    oh and P.S. the green savina will probably work work the same way as the other green habs I use to make a delicious hot sauce, just dont try to cover the bitterness and acidity of the unripe pepper, embrace and accentuate it, make a sauce w/ kiwi or green cactus pear and lime juice and cilantro and garlic, really bring out the flavor of the green chile, good luck and good growing
    paul

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County