Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cross stability question bhut x cayenne

Posted by scgreenthumb1987 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 22:54

i know this may seem odd but ive got a new accidental cross. ill take pics tomorrow but its a Cheyenne x chocolate bhut joklokia. kinda a weird plant. the leaves dont look like either annumm or chineses. pod formation is just as you'd expect, longer than normal bhut look, and massive pod production. the seed came from cayenne.

so exactly how do i stable this new breed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cross stability question bhut x cayenne

scgreenthumb... that is an interesting cross. Are they chocolate colored and long and hot? I tried to cross some Cayenne with Choc Scorpion but not sure it took. There still hanging in there though.
Looking forward to the pics.

I cant give you specifics that others can, but I do believe you have to grow them at least a few years before they become stable. It is a long process. Grow a few plant, keep the best seeds, then grow again (rinse and repeat).

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 10:49

o

no idea about color. the plant was late to grow well. and no ripe pods yet

o

If you like any of the traits, then pick the best ripe pods of the lot and save seeds. Seeing as your plants accidentally crossed they are close enough it could happen again. I would isolate that plant or bag a branch or a few flowers to ensure it does not get crossed again with something else. Do this for a few years and it will become a more stable variety.

Mark

o

one way would be to cross it (existing F1) with a bhut. Since mother is basically a cayenne then re enforce bhut influence. Or cross it with cayenne to reduce bhut influence.

You can do both and plant the seeds from each and cross them again next year.

Another possibility is to plant as many seeds as you can from current plant next year. You might see variations. Pick the one(s) you like .. continue following years.

o

Plant as many of the seeds as you can. From those, select the plants with the traits you like (preferably all the same), and repeat for several years. This *should* bring the hybrid closer to stability. But since you are crossing species, that may be difficult or even impossible.

Dennis

P.S. Wait until you taste some before attempting. They could have inherited the worst traits of both parents - tough skinned, seedy, with moderate heat and no flavor...

o

Cool looking At least

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here