Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hecknawh

habanero help

hecknawh
10 years ago

My hab seems to be having a problem. Its in a 2gal container with MG potting mix. I'm in middle TN and it has been unusually wet this summer. A few days ago after several rainy days brown spots and edges showed up on the leaves. The leaves are also drooping down toward the ground.
I'm a novice when it comes to gardening. Can anyone help me identify the problem, please?

P.s. If the pic isn't showing up well, I'll be happy to take more to post.

Comments (12)

• hecknawh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A few additional photos.

• hecknawh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last one.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Try taking one with less sunlight. Kinda hard to see what you're concerned about.

Kevin

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

I see the spots on your leaves. You most likely are suffering from too much water. MG soil retains a lot of water compared to what most of us use for medium. I suggest you research 5-1-1 and think about using it next year. It's a medium you make yourself from some simple ingredients. It drains fast to prevent your plants from sitting in water. For this year, unless you want to re-pot with better medium, I'd grab a 1 1/2" to 2" butterfly bit and put at least one hole about an inch up in the bottom of your pot. This will allow the water to drain quicker. I'm still new to this, so someone else with more experience will hopefully have some better advice to offer. Good Luck!

Tim

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Either bacterial or fungal infections, could be both, hard to tell from the pictures. I bet it's more common this year.

Give them a shot of copper, or ideally copper sulfate since this combo is optimized for both types of infections (copper + sulphur). Spray about once a week, or right after rainfall as the coating eventually washes off. Google search for "copper sulfate fungicide" to see some example products. You can also check your local gardening store and check the main ingredients on the bottles, consider getting a bottle of concentrate since it'll last a couple of seasons.

This will keep it under control till it's time to harvest. After you spray, you have the option of pulling the worst couple of raggedy leaves off each plant, just don't go crazy yanking them. And also be careful because many of these infections are spread to other plants through splashup and contact. Also, no more overhead wetting, keep those leaves as dry as you can, this is good practice anytime btw, not just when the plants are infected.

If let go, *and the infection progresses*, a lot of leaves will drop and the pods will become infected and useless, especially annuums. Unfortunately i've become all too familiar with this over the years, but i now keep it under control.

This post was edited by sjetski on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 9:52

• mambooman
    10 years ago

I actually had that all over my peppers when I had them growing in my cool, damp basement. I figured it was a fungus of some sort. I sprayed them with Copper which helped slow the spread. Once I got them out into the sun, I have not seen a another sign of it.

So, if it stays warm and sunny for you, it might help dry everything out a bit and stave off the progression. You will lose whatever leaves are already impacted.

• hecknawh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ive just realized how limited my garden center options are. Looks like I'm stuck with daconil until I can slip out of town or order something else. I did find some bonide sulfer powder, but nothing containing copper.

Thank you all for replying. It nice to know there is a wealth of knowledge willing to help.

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Daconil and sulphur are geared more towards fungal, whereas copper will handle more of the bacterial. Unfortunately no solution is perfect but they often keep things under control long enough to obtain a full harvest. Another product that works well for both infections, in my experience, is Serenade. It is also available in concentrate form.

At the end of the season, remove all plants from the soil, wrap them in a garbage bag, and dispose of them. Otherwise the nasties have a chance of surviving till next season, especially if the plants are tilled under the soil. They supposedly won't survive in dirt that contains no plant matter.

10 years ago

Isn't Ortho Disease-B-Gon copper based? I could swear I've seen it at Home Depot and/or Lowe's. I think they even have a Bonide copper product.

Good luck.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 0:39

• hecknawh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was able to track down some Bonide Garden Dust which contains copper and sulfer. I mixed a solution of 1tablespoon: 1 gallon of water. Sprayed my plants and will keep you guys updated.

Anyone tried Alaska Fish Fertilizer 5-1-1?

10 years ago

heacknawh: good deal. Word of warning -- you have to be careful with sulfur products... do not spray in conjunction with any oils. I believe the recommended time lapse is 2 months.

Fish ferts.. yep. good stuff. I use it about once a month in addition to other ferts.

Kevin

• hecknawh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just a follow up pic. Thanks for all the help. My hab recovered nicely enough to produce a small yield. All of my plants were sick and dying, but responded well to the bonide garden dust regimen.

Thanks again for the advice.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz