Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny Bhut Jolokia Peppers

Posted by rxale CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 5, 11 at 23:15

Last year i got fully grown bhut jolokia from my pepper plant but this time they where so small and tiny. They're maybe less than an inch in size :( any idea why this happened and how i can get them fully grown?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny Bhut Jolokia Peppers

Hi Rxale are they tiny and ripe? When did you plant the seeds? Could you provide any pics?

o

Excessive heat and or being root bound can cause that. Cold weather can also cause it. Peppers, what a bunch of picky plants. That's why we grow them! I think.

o

• Posted by esox07 4, S. Cent Wisc (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 6, 11 at 12:57

If they are just stalled at a small size, I would not worry about it. But if they are going ripe while still small, then I would explore romy6's causes and try to correct any of those issues that I could. Best to always post a photo. Members love photos.

o

I'm across the country from you and mine are just starting to form peppers, I'm thrilled, :)

Alberta

o

Photobucket

I apologize for not responding i've simply been busy and didn't know how to post a picture. I planted them 2 years ago, it was originally grown in a pot but as time passed it grew too big and we believed the root went through the bottom into the soil and we're now afraid to remove it in fear it will wither. I'm growing three plants in different locations, this one seems to be doing the best with many peppers. The peppers are just very tiny, though after adding some nutrient rich soil the peppers have started to increase in size but are still quite small. I'm sorry the picture is too large.

o

MINI-BHUTs ;)

o

bite sized!

o

yeah i had the stupid idea of eating them in one bite... "oh they're tiny they probably won't be as hot..." yeah big mistake...

o

Wed, Jul 13, 11 at 23:44

All I can say is: hahahahahahah LOL

o

I would not be afraid to repot. Peppers are fairly tough and it may help in the long run.

o

I would also think about cross-pollination. Did you have something like Super Chiles growing nearby?

They are cute though.

o

Qas,
I think these plants are a couple years old.
Cross-pollination would only show up in plants grown from seed this year.

Josh

o

Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 16:14

I have various sizes of pods on my Bhut plants right now. I just picked three that were turning orange/red. Two of them were quite small, about the size pictured above. The other was normal size. I am not sure what prompted the smaller ones to ripen before they reached normal size. Since I do have many unripe normal size pods, it doesn't look like my situation is the same as yours unless you also have some that are continuing to grow before ripening.
Here is a picture of three Bhuts that I picked this morning.

The first one is relatively large. The other two are significantly smaller.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here