Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cayenne (?) harvest

Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 23:18

Not sure what these chilies are, thinking now perhaps cayenne. Whatever they are, now that they are ripe, they have a hard skin and are tough for chewing fresh. Beautiful added whole to some dishes, where you get the flavor but don't want to eat the chili.

I didn't want to waste them, and it has been warm here so I didn't want to dehydrate them in the kitchen, and our sun is scorching hot and would probably bleach them as it does to our exposed tomatoes.

So I threaded a bunch on a string and hung them out on the deck. They get some sun thru the 2x2 overhead. Just an experiment for me.

Even if they don't do well, I sure am having fun seeing them as decorations from my recliner!

How do you dry yours?

-Babka

photo IMG_4358_zpsf3e8c4ad.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cayenne (?) harvest

I just string them through the stems and put them in an open window that gets loads of sun.
They dry out pretty quickly that way :)

o

I have these Cheyenne hanging by their stems in the kitchen window. I have 5 more on the plant that are turning red now. I'll probably use a few for seeds. Your peppers look good there. They make good decorations.
Randal

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 0:10

Tom 92- Where do you live? You don't give a zone or state or country. Don't they bleach out in the sun?

Babka

o

Oh, Im sorry, I forgot to. I live in New Jersey, it isn't all that too bad here. They aren't in direct sunlight throughout the entire day due to the sun switching sides of the house at noon. No, I havent had my peppers loose any color from the sun.

Good luck with yours. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here