Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Aji Panca's still have no flowers!

Posted by naturemitch 3/4 WI (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 23:38

Hi all-

My Aji Pancas look great, but still have no flowers. Has anyone had any experience with them and had slow flower development?

My Habaneros and Black Cobras have been blooming for a good 1-1/2 weeks now...and I thought I had blossoms coming on the Pancas....but it just turns out to be more leaves!

Aji Panca photo P1000028.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Aji Panca's still have no flowers!

Par for the course, They are big, tall, late developing plants that need to be started very early in the season. It's a good thing you have that setup, it'll protect it from the first couple of frosts, and allow some pods to ripen (noticed your climate zone).

I do see that new split off the main stalk, that may end up producing flowers, if not then i bet the next split will have flowers. Make sure you ease up on the nitrogen part of the ratio at this point (N.P.K.), otherwise they will just keep producing green growth. The pot size may hold that plant back from it's full huge potential, just consider 2013 an experimental year with it. It looks like a great candidate for overwintering btw.

I'm growing Aji Yellow #2 this year, and the plant is very similar to the Aji Panca's i've grown in the past. One of them grew 3ft tall before producing it's first true split with flowers. They are potentially huge monstrous plants.

o

Thanks so much sjetski! Thankfully I started them way back when. I have a couple in 3 gallon pots and 1 or 2 in 4.5 gallon pots.

We had a cold, wet spring and they were not happy back then! The ones in the larger pots suffered the most, but bringing them into the greenhouse helped ALOT. I will certainly plan on overwintering a couple like you said.

Yes, I have learned a number of things with certain varieties this year. Had no clue this variety grew this big and flowered this late. I sure hope for a few mature pods!

o

Almost forgot....I use Foliage Pro, 9-3-6. Think this is OK for continued use?

o

Foliage pro will be ok for a little while longer, but like i said before, it has high nitrogen so it will promote green growth more than anything else. From the sound of it, that's what you are trying to avoid.

A good and inexpensive product, with the right NPK numbers, is Espoma Tomato-Tone. You can find it at most big box stores for under $10. It's a partial slow-release formula so you wouldn't want to fertilize a pepper plant every week with it. Tomato plants can take a bit more though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato-tone

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here