Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mustardhab

Leaves falling off my habaneros.

mustardhab
14 years ago

I have a problem with leaves falling off my mustard habanero plants, along with the leaves, flowers, and fruit right after it pollinates.

I tried to look at wiki [the online encyclopedia] and it claims to let the soil be dry before watering, but everyday over here its often above 90 degrees requiring repeat waterings. Then again I have heard that the lack of water can cause the flowers to fall off. Please clarify this point!!!

Anyways what can be the problem here? Not only are the leaves, flowers, and fruit are falling off; there are only a few measly fruits but a lot of flowers on the plants.

Is soil nutrition a problem? Can being in close proximity to a different species of pepper cause this to happen?

They are planted in those fiberglass whiskey barrels, but I hear habs do well in them.

Any help is appreciated if you dont get boared reading ;)

Comments (9)

• chillilover
    14 years ago

Any one or combo if these.

1. Day temp too high >95F
    2. Night temp too low 3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
    4. Too much water
    5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
    6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
    7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
    8. Lack of pollinating insects.
    9. Size of pot

1. Too much mineral in feedwater.
  • chillilover
    14 years ago

The above causes flowers and buds to drop. Its normal for bottom leaves to turn yellow and fall off. If lots are it could be too much water.

• Elscorcho
    10 years ago

My leaves on my Habaneros started to wilt, and had a bit of a rusty colour. I watered it and all but the smallest leaves fell off in an instant? What could be going on?

• ronnieg
    10 years ago

All the leaves fell off my habenareo and ghoast pepper plants they are starter plants all im left with is a stem why?

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Pics? Description of growing conditions? Number of cats?

• flipback23
    10 years ago

ronnieg,
    I had 3 of my plants do that that I set out last month, but I think that was do to recent cold spells. But they have since grown a bunch of new growth. But thats just my experience so far.

DMF
    Why do you say how many cats. There are some strays that run around our area and I see them in my yard alot what do they do to peppers.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

That answer was to ronnieg, who gives us NO information..

As for cats, mine eats them. [Nah, just kidding. She only ever ate the Immortal Beloved BJ - and that survived.] In the wrong location they might use a plant as a marking spot (i.e. they might piss on it). But that's unlikely.

This post was edited by DMForcier on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 14:07

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Mine likes onions.

Kevin

• HotHabaneroLady
    10 years ago

You say that the leaves are falling off, but then you go on to mention possible causes of flowers falling off. Is it the flowers or the leaves that are falling off?

I disagree with most of chililover's suggestions about possible causes. Given what you describe above, my first guess would be overwatering would cause the leaves to yellow and drop.

A good pepper growing saying is that peppers do not like to have wet feet! You need water to drain all the way through and flow out. Good drainage is important. Then do not water until you can stick your finger into the soil about an inch or two deep and feel that it is dry. When you do water, give them a good dousing, but it needs to drain all the way through. This way you avoid water pooling in the bottom of the whiskey barrel, which would be bad for the roots. I have not had to water container peppers more than every couple of days or so, even in 100 degree heat. But admittedly, the heat here comes with major humidity.

Putting the peppers close together shouldn't cause this, at least assuming that we are talking about reasonable closeness (peppers also like to hold hands--meaning being somewhat close). I can't comment on your soil nutrition, but poor draining soil could lead to the problems you describe.

Cold could be another possibility, but doesn't sound likely given what you said about the growing conditions there. 90+ degree whether could cause the plant to drop flowers and might contribute to the lack of fruiting, but probably would not cause yellow leaves. Too much nitrogen fertilizer would cause the plant to focus on growing more leaves instead of fruit, but I wouldn't expect it to cause yellow, falling leaves. Low light levels sound unlikely. Peppers tend to like humidity, but they are also grown very successfully in desert conditions (in fact my cousin is a chili farmer in New Mexico). Lack of pollinating insects would not cause leaves to drop. In fact, it probably wouldn't affect fruit bearing much because peppers are primarily pollinated by other means. From the sound of it, you have a pretty big container, so it's size doesn't sound like a probable cause. Too much minerals also sounds unlikely. Hard, mineral rich water usually is high in calcium, and calcium is very good for preventing blossom end rot. I water with hard water all the time. I also put a spoonful of egg shells in the hole wherever I plaint hot peppers.

Disclaimer: although habaneros are my specialty, I have never grown mustard habaneros, I don't know everything and I'm having a bad year this year. :(

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH