Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bug I've never seen before

Posted by judo_and_peppers Tampa FL (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 0:00

I have no idea what this is. I've seen 4 of them in the past week. I did manage to get what I thought were good pictures though. anyone seen this before?

I will be posting this in the pest forum too, but since this is on pepper plants I figured here would be appropriate too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bug I've never seen before

Looks like a stink bug to me.
Randal

o

Yeah, a shield bug likely from the stink bug family... so don't smash it! Some suck plant juices, others eat other insects. I wouldn't worry about it unless you start seeing lots of them.

o

I googled shield bug, and didn't find anything that matched what I saw. not saying it's not one, as it does most certainly have a similar body shape. but I didn't find anything with similar color patterns. every time I see one it seems to just be chillin on a leaf, minding its own business. maybe they're alright.

o

Dont know if its good or bad but from the bottom pick it looks like its proboscis(spelling) is sticking in your leaf.

o

It is a nymph stage, that's probably why you aren't finding a visual match. So many look similar when young.

o

Here's a series of photos I took of a shield bug molting into the next stage several years ago. The larvae looking thing was what eventually came out of the bug's body...

Here is a link that might be useful: Shield bug molting

This post was edited by mecdave on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 22:20

o

Could it be a harlequin bug?

o

Nymph stage of Florida Predatory Stink bug?

o

I don't know what it is, but the guy on the bottom looks like it is sucking on that leaf, and the leaf on top looks like it has endured some damage.

o

rhizo assures us (in Garden Clinic forum) that it is a good guy - some sort of predatory stink bug.

Rhizo Surrogate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here