Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigoledude

Help me choose a good sweet/mild pepper

bigoledude
10 years ago

I have been gardening for many years. The last few years have been horrible for growing bell peppers. Many of the regular gardeners never came back after the devastation from hurricane Katrina. So, the number of old contacts or gardener-friends has declined dramatically for me.

The few gardeners I do talk with have experienced similar failure with the bell type peppers. I have not attempted a fall pepper garden. And, none of the few gardeners I've talked with either.

Maybe the cooler temps of the late-season peppers would be more productive?

Several of my grandchildren love munching on sweet peppers. We also cook with, pickle and make our own sauces and powders.

Anyway, what are some other sweet or mild peppers I might try? I have seeds for several. Just curious as to what is y'alls opinion on the most prolific and best tasting of the sweet peppers?

Comments (21)

• scgreenthumb1987
    10 years ago

Personally I like banana peppers. Plus they've always been a heavy producer for me. Four plants this year and already have 50 jars put up plus my wife eats them faster than I can can them Lol.

• bigoledude
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, banana peppers are a perennial favorite here! EVERY grandkid that eats fresh peppers will check the Banana pepper bushes first.

The fact that the kids like fresh peppers is what has me searching for other sweet peppers.

They are one of the few peppers that taste great even before completely ripening.

I would like to try the "Bounty" and the "Banana Supreme" to see if their production and flavor surpasses that of the old standby "Sweet Banana"?

This pepper is a "workhorse" in the truest sense of garden super performers!

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

Banana types would be a good choice. If you really like bells, Cubanelle types are someaht similar and easier to grow. My personal choice is the Italian frying peppers, Melrose, Bullshorn, Italia, Carmen etc,

• noinwi
    10 years ago

I like the sweet cheese type. Nice thick walls, good for roasting(and freezing for later use). They were easier to grow than bells for me.

• bigoledude
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do like the fully ripe bell peppers. My 4 daughter's-in-law and my wife use tons of sweet peppers in their cooking. When we run out of home-garden-grown sweet peppers, I go to the New Orleans French Market or one of the local farmer's markets, and buy a bushel of peppers for us to cut up and freeze. It's amazing how fast we go through them!

This is why I am so adamant about getting the optimum production from what I grow, in the smallish area that I have to grow in.

When out of bells, we definitely use the Banana peppers in place of the bells and love them.

Farmerdill; I have seed for the basic "Cubanelle". When you say Cubanelle "types". Are there other cubanelles that are better? Which of the Italian types produce best for you?

noinwi; Do you have the names of your favorite "cheese type" peppers? What kind of production do you get from them?

I got a-little caught-up in this hot-pepper craze and, should have planted more of what we ACTULLY EAT the most of!

I love my hot-sauces, my powders and my fresh hot peppers cut-up over our Cajun Red Beans-N-Rice. But, we eat waaay more sweet peppers and, I would love to have a variety of them. If Banana peppers are by far the most prolific, that's what I'll grow most of.

• MadCat1118
    10 years ago

Cubanelles are pretty prolific, though bananas may be more so. Not terribly sweet when unripe, but better tasting than green bells. They're great for making stuffed peppers. I personally haven't tried many sweet peppers other than bells and cubanelles, but I did have excellent luck with my bells this year. I would look for a sweet variety of cherry peppers, the hot cherries I am growing are doing well and taste great.

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

Cubanelle types: Open pollinated; Cubanelle introduced in 1962. , Aconcagua,La Rouge Royale. Hybrids: Key West, Key Largo, Aruba, Biscayne, Grenada, Quantanamo etc. The hybrids have better disease resistance, and are desirable where disease like bacterial spot is a problem. I grow Key West for dependability and La Rouge Royale for flavor.

Frying pepper. quickest to mature and quite prolific Melrose. small fruits. Larger, more versatile Italia a hybrid Bulls horn type. Carmen gets good press but I have not grown it yet.

There are lots of sweet cherries out there from generic open pollinated to hybrids like Cherry Pick, Cherry Stuffer, etc. too small for my uses.

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

I didn't see where anyone brought up Marconi's. I love the Marconi, regular one, Giant, and Golden. All are great peppers, sweet, prolific, and great for stuffing, but main use - grilling.
    Pam

• ab2008
    10 years ago

I planted a couple types of sweets this year, Giant Marconis I love, as well as big berthas. Tomatogrowers had a socrates x3r hybrid pepper that was also really good too, but fore pure production, and size, I can't go wrong with the giant marconis, and they are super productive even under non-optimal conditions.

• leafericson
    10 years ago

Rick (sorry I forget his garden web name) has the best sweet pepper, absolutely delicious! He calls it Crunch Sweet Orange. Only problem is is it has very few seeds, your lucky if it has one. So right know I have no seed to share but I hope to have some soon:)
    -Eric-

• fusion_power
    10 years ago

Orange Bell - Sandhill Preservation sells them. Outstanding flavor and decent production. Only weakness is that the stems are very brittle. The plants need support to avoid breaking from the heavy crop.

Little Bells - Available from http://www.wildgardenseed.com/ One of the best elongated bell types I've grown. Production is high, matures in a hurry, excellent flavor.

Karma - Another from Wildgardenseed. Long pointy Italian type with a spicy sweet flavor. Production is excellent and they make a crop when other peppers fail.

DarJones

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

I hope to have a new seed crop (weather pending) of Crunch Sweet Orange available this fall/winter (free for SASE). I've unfortunately lost 3 of my 5 seed plants to deer (I HATE deer) this year, but I do have 2 plants going strong.

Glad you enjoy it.

BTW, feel free to distribute any seed as you see fit. I exert absolutely no ownership control over the seeds or their distribution.

This post was edited by nc-crn on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 19:16

• noinwi
    10 years ago

I have grown Greygo(from a trade...don't know if it is Super Greygo) and Kishinev(which I don't think is available anymore).
    The Greygo is certainly good. I grew mostly in pots and got 4-6 fruit per plant. Mind you, they were fairly small pots. The plants I grew in-ground(small raised bed with crappy soil) gave me 6-8 fruit. I was only growing for two people so about 6 plants gave us enough for the freezer to use during the winter. That was in Wisconsin where the season is short but hot. I don't really have a garden yet here in the PNW.
    I have seen a few on some of the online seed sites...Tennessee Cheese, Pritavit, and Red Cheese. I haven't tried them. I think Farmerdill has tried some of the cheese types...maybe he can recommend some. I could offer some of my Greygo seed from seasons past, but can't guarantee purity as I didn't grow in isolation. If you want some to try for next year anyway shoot me an email.

• bigoledude
    Original Author
    10 years ago

noinwi; I don't need any seeds. But thanks kindly though. I wanted to email a question to you and cannot figure out how to do so.

If a member doesn't have the "send me an email" thingy on their "My Page", is it still somehow possible to communicate with them via email?

• noinwi
    10 years ago

I thought I had checked the show email to member but I may have to check something else...sorry. I'll see if I can get it done.

• noinwi
    10 years ago

My email should be available now.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

How about POBLANO, if you don't mind some heat. Perfect for roasting and stuffing.

• maj742 (zone 4-5) north-central WI
    9 years ago

I am growing Hybrid Giant Marconi from Jung this year in 5 gallon containers on my cement patio. They love the heat. I also fertilize them heavily and water as needed. I have been harvesting many HUGE half-red peppers for about a month here in Green Bay WI. After harvest, I quick rinse them in a water with some vinegar, drip dry, and keep them out on my table on paper. They ripen to full delicious red in a few days. Each plant must have about 10 huge peppers. It is incredible. These will be my only red pepper from now on. It has been a cold and at first drought stricken summer but now hugely wet summer. Peppers love a sunny cement patio.

• lexxluthor
    9 years ago

For years my favorite was always banana peppers also. This changed this year thanks to the seed swap. Grew two corno de toro yellow plants from leifericson, Peppers were huge, soft, fleshy and extremely sweet, My wife has never eaten peppers in 15 years but loves veggies. She was quartering them and dipping in ranch I almost dropped dead. She said next year to try the red variety also, They grew very well in a rainy season.

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

Are the Corno di Toro better than the typical yellow bells you get in the grocery store? I don't know why anybody eats those. They often have a bitter undertaste and no particular flavor otherwise. Have you tried the "regular" red Corno di Toro? I wonder how the red and yellow varieties compare to each other.

I prefer red bells. The green bells are ok. All the other colors I've ever had are just not very good, either with off flavors or no flavor to speak of at all.

This year I will try Marconi and Ace for sure. I'd like to try Red Knight but nobody I usually buy seeds from actually carries it. I might try Flavorburst and Big Red. Possibly Corno di Toro now as well.

"This year" being, of course NEXT year, as in Spring 2015.

In the hotter peppers, Cayenne for sure, as well as a serrano. Maybe Fresno. Possibly an Ancho. That's enough for me. I cook a lot of Thai and Indian food, but I eat WAY more sweet peppers. I'm hoping Marconi will make a good stir fry ingredient.

This post was edited by zensojourner on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 1:38

• TNKS
    9 years ago

Brazilian Starfish ,you wont regret growing this strain out
    Pretty cool little pods,with great flavor and mild heat.
    Im setting out 20 plants next season

Sponsored