Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phildeez_gw

Toot, toot!!

Phildeez
10 years ago

That's me tooting my own horn for a hot sauce well done. Sometimes ya gotta do it! I tried to keep it mild because I wanted to give some to a friend but those orange fatalii are not messing around!

Sadly, I realized upon finishing the last jar that I did not take a picture of the finished product. DOH! But I double strained it and it was a nice yellow.

Comments (16)

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

so did you just use the juice, or did you grind it up?

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Phildeez, very nice demonstrational pictures.

I like sour sweet and very hot, but I do not have any skill of making sauce and pickle. I like some pickle with mustard seeds and oil that direct hits in the nasal part like eating "wasabi".

Enjoy the sauce

Caelian

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Caelian, I have a little experience with mustard, and hot peppers go very well with almost any mustard. I would add horseradish, or you could even add wasabi to it if you want that kick in the nose. Also stick to brown and/or black seeds because they pack a lot more punch. Mustard is really fun because you can do almost anything and it will taste good. It also naturally preserves most recipes very well.

i haven't made any this year, yet. Last year I remember the best being a honey-IPA mustard with quince preserves and chocolate habaneros. Went really well with cheddar cheese, which im only realizing sounds strange as i type it...haha

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Judo, I used the entire pineapple! The only thing missing that I added a bit of later was some 100% carrot juice and about a half cup of distilled water because i needed a little more liquid to reduce. I was wary of the carrot juice but i could not identify it in the sauce and I had no complaints, it also added some color.

Anybody notice my cool tomatoes?!

This post was edited by Phildeez on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 7:54

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

I thought they are cherry pepper :-) jut a joke. They are nice tomatoes. I have Cherry Tomatoes chocolate, yesterday I eat some of them fresh very delicious.

I have some store bought pickle and I am thinking to add super hot fresh chili but I never did before. Still it has a lot of water/juice, I like the taste. I am looking for some opinions.

Caelian

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am sure most opinions you find here will lean towards yes, put the fresh hot chilies into your pickles!

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

In noticed the tomatoes, Black Cherry or Chocolate Cherry?
    Pam

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Those tomatoes look like some chasing blue zebra tomatoes I grew this year. Sauce looks great. You want to post the recipe?

Tim

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pam, they are called Blue Gold. A local nursery has a source that does a lot of F1 hybrids from heirlooms and comes up with a lot of funky stuff. I am curious what that means about saving the seeds.

I can post measurements when I am around the house later, Tim.

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pam, they are called Blue Gold. A local nursery has a source that does a lot of F1 hybrids from heirlooms and comes up with a lot of funky stuff. I am curious what that means about saving the seeds.

I can post measurements when I am around the house later, Tim.

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Interesting, I'd never heard of them. They look similar to my Black Cherry but I figured the color would have to be off a bit for them, the markings are similar. How do they taste?
    Pam

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pam, they are fairly earthy with a good acidity but still slightly sweet, i like them as a contrast to the other varieties I have this year that are sweeter. The picture made them look more red than they really are, they ripen to a brownish orange that suits the flavor.

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

ok. Really does sound a lot like Black Cherry, although I think Black Cherry is possibly sweeter. They look pretty no matter what.
    Pam

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Black cherry could be called here Cherry chocolate, I searched on the net and found the pictures are almost same/same. I have a couple of plants, I share with caterpillars :-). The taste is pretty good, I feel like eating fruit (not tomato).

{{gwi:1196834}}

Caelian

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

so what's the word on a recipe?

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops! Here is the recipe. Feel free to use more or other peppers to adjust the heat, but I do like the combination of fatalii and fruit.

2 Orange Fatalii (seeds removed for normal people)
    1 Fresno
    1 Bulgarian Carrot
    1 Pineapple
    2 limes, juiced
    1 lime zest
    3 medium tomatoes
    4 cloves garilc
    1 tbsp Agave nectar
    1/4 to 1/2 C 100% Carrot juice
    1/2C Rice vinegar
    S & P to taste

I rough chopped the onions and carmelized them slightly with a little olive oil, salt and pepper while the pineapple charred on the grill. When the onions became translucent I added the garlic (careful to use low heat as not to burn it) and sauteed until the garlic was translucent.

Next I added the vinegar, agave, peppers and lime+zest and simmered on medium for 10 minutes.

Lastly rough chopped the pineapple and added to the pot along with the tomatoes, carrot juice, and a little more S&P and Agave. I mostly used the carrot juice because it had reduced too far for how much longer I wanted to cook it.

After 10 more minutes simmering to a good consistency it was into the blender (after cooling) and then through a wire mesh strainer twice. Fresh pineapple sauces will need to be strained well to avoid flossing for the rest of the year.

This sauce evolved immensely over the week that it lasted in my fridge. I wish i had saved some to taste now but it was just too good. I ate it like apple sauce.

Enjoy!

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm