Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hatch Chile Roasts in So Cal

Posted by Sluginator 10b (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 0:38

Hatch chiles are only grown near Hatch, New Mexico and they are only available for a few weeks starting now.

They are mildly hot, sort of like a Fresno pepper. They are roasted over a fire while fresh and green. Then you get that black skin that you have to scrape off.

My friend bought some at Northgate Market in Vista on Sunday. I just ate a whole one and I needed some beer afterwards. Pretty tasty, though.

Local supermarket have started having annual hatch chile roasts where they sell the chiles and will roast them for you.

There is a good list here:
Orange County Weekly list.

Bristol Farms is doing it.

Albertsons is doing it.

Ralph's is doing it.

(I have no commercial interest in this. I am just trying to be helpful.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hatch Chile Roasts in So Cal

I acquired some "Hatch" seed last year and grew it out this year at home and at the Farm for a customer from New Mexico. Tonight she came by and bought 10 pounds of the peppers! She promised she would give a review of the pods and tell me how our northern California "Hatch" compare to the New Mexico grown peppers.

Josh

o

Also Central Market in Dallas and Austin.

o

Anybody know anything about NMSU developing GMO/GE versions of their NuMex chiles? Someone posted a video on another forum describing how the native American (and other) farmers were upset in 2008 that the state was going to fund R&D to develop a pepper that could be mechanically harvested. I know they've been having problems with curly top virus too and total acreage under production has gone down. I found this on NMSU's website saying they were "unlocking the genetic code" and were going to be breeding tastier chiles since flavor had gotten diluted with cross pollination but no mention of GE.

I know they did come out with some new Big Jim variety and a "Heritage" variety - any idea if those are traditional hybrid crosses or GE?

I don't think there are any GE seeds available to home gardeners now but I didn't know if NMSU had test fields of GE peppers, and/or had seeds available for growers to test or even commercial production by now.

Here is a link that might be useful: NMSU genetics research on chiles

o

I rather suspect that you know more about it than anyone here.

I can't tell what your opinion of genetic engineering is. Do you consider it something to avoid?

Dennis

o

From the article:Because this approach changes the chile peppers own DNA and does not introduce foreign DNA, the cultivars are not genetically modified organisms, or GMOs, and organic farmers should be able to grow the new cultivars.

In other words, they've mapped the genome, and are now able to see which DNA bits translate into what characteristics, which makes it a whole lot easier to breed and select plants for desired traits. More at the link.

Soon here - just north of New Mexico - we'll start to see the pickups loaded with the Hatch boxes way high over the cab, strapped down so they don't topple off, and you buy a 1.2 bushel box which for ~$20 and have them roasted. That smells pretty good. Then you put the bag of roasted chili in the car, get them home drooling all over your shirt, slip the skins and freeze them - except for the half-dozen you just ate rolled up in a burrito shell.

Here is a link that might be useful: DNA markers and plant breeding

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here