Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_pepper_guy

Homemade ROASTER w/pics

the_pepper_guy
14 years ago

These are pics of the roaster I built today with the help of my friend from New Mexico. He was trading me his labor for some roasted green chiles. The pics do not show it, but it has an electric rotisserie motor attached to it so there is no manual interaction needed. I will post a video of its maiden coyage soon. If anyone wants to know how I built it, let me know. I will also be posting a how-to on my blog sometime in the next few days. It was made for under $25. A few things I used I had laying around the garage(like the rotisserie motor, but it was actually in my wife's trunk...funny story). Let me know what you think!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pepper Guy's Blog

Comments (9)

• tsheets
    14 years ago

Looks a whole lot better than the rusty rims from a couple of days ago!! LOL

• rdback
    14 years ago

I've been wanting to make my own chili roaster for years, just never got around to it.

You might want to be careful cooking on or near galvanized metal. It puts off toxic fumes or something when heated, as I recall.

I'm not sure if that's galvanized wire there in Generation 2 (above), but the chicken wire cage in Generation 1 (with the rims) might have been a problem.

Other than that, I think you're on to something here. I'd like to see it in action, especially how you attached the rotisserie.

Best of luck.

Rick

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Looks pretty slick & it being less than $25 to make is awesome. =) Let us know how it works. I need to do something like this. I can't continue to spend 2 hours cleaning my charcoal grill every time I want to roast peppers. Pain in the butt!

• the_pepper_guy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, the rims/chicken wire was kinda just a prototype. Just got bored one day and tried it out. I never cooked in it though. It needed a lot of work before using it to roast. As far as attaching the rotesserie, it was fairly simple. The threaded rod through the middle is what attaches to the motor. I just used a dremel to cut the end to a square shape like the motor takes. I can post some closeup pics on here tomorrow or something. Thanks for all the comments. I will also try to get the video from last night up on the web so you can see it in action. It was dark so the video was not great, but you can get the idea!

• the_pepper_guy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, I have attached some closeup pics and some videos of the roaster in action. There are a few kinks to iron out, as you will see in the last video, but I am very happy with the way it turned out!

Below are links to my videos of the roaster on youtube.

Test Run

• t-bob
    14 years ago

burn baby burn....oops, NOT the roaster. but at least you guys were having fun. i've been watching for a few days and wondered what you were going to use as fire.....well fire it is i see. i bet those peppers were yummy. keep us posted how it goes. i'm keeping my eyes out for a rotisserie motor and metal stand.....good job PG

• the_pepper_guy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I thought about using a burner from a gas grill, but that will not be until I build a metal stand out of angle iron. That way, I will not have to take the time to build an actual fire. The one nice thing about building a real fire is that you can use what wood you want. For instance, I like to roast my peppers with a bit of apple wood burning alonf with the rest of the wood. Gives the peppers a nice flavor.

• the_pepper_guy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Below is alink you a video I uploaded on youtube of the roaster during the day. In the video I explain basically how I built the roaster. Let me know what you think. IF anyone has any other questions, just email me or ask your question here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swblzBfqfWM

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Nice! You're always full of good suggestions...lol. That roaster would be fun to watch whilst drinking a cold Bud Light. =) I think i'm gonna smoke some Habs this weekend...and drink beer, of course.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz