Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Normal growth size?

Posted by CaliforniaGrowing 10 (dodgerzfan805@gmail.com) on
Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 1:34

Hello! This is my first year for growing peppers and got a really late start. I had a question for everyone , I know certain varieties take longer that other but I had to ask. This is one of my peppers that I germinated using the paper towel method , i put this guy in soil on 7-19-14 right after germination had occured and is little under 2 inches tall. Is this about the average size for that amount of time or is it stunted? Thank you all for your time and information.

Richard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Normal growth size?

Richard, Probably it is normal. Then it depends on the variety too.
What are you growing ?

o

I agree with seysonn, depends on the variety.

Also for me, the paper towel method seemed to set growth back nearly a week. It takes an additional few days for them to surface once transferring to the potting mix. Time wasted, imo.

I sow in Jiffy pellets instead with a heating pad (actually a small electric blanket) underneath the tray. Once they sprout in the pellets I carefully cut the fabric away and set the pellet into solo cups filled with the same potting mix they will grow in.

Then set them under a florescent light set an inch above the plants and with a fan blowing in the general direction from a few feet away.

Works for me!

This post was edited by mecdave on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 8:43

o

Seysonn I believe it is jalapeño , mecdave I agree about the paper towel method but unfortunately I do not have the space to keep my seedlings in doors under lights , but I would like to try it one day. It sounds like they do very well with those conditions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here